South American World Cup qualifying.

VillaChris

About time a thread was started on this IMO seeing as we're now nearly halfway through.

Always a hugely fascinating qualifying campaign played over 16 matches (certainly more interesting than games against Moldova and San Marino) so for those who haven't been following here is how things stand....

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/southamerica/matches/index.html

Argentina are in good shape and that's purely from Messi finally seeming to be given licence to play a role similar to at Barca. He's been hugely influential for Argies recently, linking up nicely with Higuain. After the scare last time, Argies will get through comfortably this time.

The big story developing is the renaissance of Colombia. Dunno if Ryu ever posts on here anymore but sure he'll be loving their convinving wins over Uruguay and Chile.

The star of course is Falcao who's probably about to declare world peace at any second but a future star is also bubbling...James Rodrequeiz of Porto. Really quick winger of Porto who can also score. Colombia will make top 4.

After being the revelation of last world cup, Uruguay have hit some difficulty. Unsurprisingly at the age of 33, the maestro Forlan's powers are declining and so the production line to Suarez and Cavani has diminished. This could be a problem as their campaign has been the most lopsided of all the teams, played 5 at the Centenario but only 3 away.

That said they usually scrape into the play offs to qualify so same again.

Venezuela. Have a soft spot for these guys. Probably one of the most improved teams in international football. Fantastic generation of players spearheaded by Salomon Rondon who would've been fabulous in the prem.

Probably heart ruling head but I think they'll sneak ahead of Ecuador into the top 4.

The biggest decline has been from Paraguay. Qualified for every world cup from 1998 and reached the quarters last time.

That golden generation is over (even though they're still playing as 4 of their back 5 last night were over 30). Bottom on 4 points and no chance of qualifying, might aswell blood some younger players to give them a chance of returning in 2018.

Even though a SA team didn't win last time, all 5 got out of their groups and 4 reached the quarters so could happen again with home advantage in 2014. I have a sneaky feeling this one could be Messi's world cup....

South American qualifying is always entertaining. It will be good to see Colombia back at the world cup, they have provided some classic moments, Valderama and Rincon in 1990 and the tragic Escobar incident in 1994. I think it will be Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Chile, Ecuador and of course Brazil as hosts. Paraguay are not out of it, but I do think they will finish 6th, they won't finish where they currently are.

Paraguay are out of it, 5th will probably finish on 22 points if previous campaigns are an indication so that would require them to win 6 of their last 9 games...

If an outsider was to make a late run I'd pick Peru as they have players like Farfan, Guerrero and Pizarro who can score but they'll fall short aswell.

Yeah Chile are still doing o.k under Claudio Borghi. I know people loved watching them at the last world cup but to me they're a team that can always self destruct at any moment with indiscipline, Gary Medel was sent off at 0-0 the other night and in the second half Colombia just dismantled them.

Only reason I want to see Colombia qualify is to see Falcao,

and the women.

If Venezuela and Colombia both qualify, with Brazil as hosts, there will be the top 3 hottest women nationalities in the world right there, which means I am already making plans to attend the um...football.

Only reason I want to see Colombia qualify is to see Falcao,

and the women.

If Venezuela and Colombia both qualify, with Brazil as hosts, there will be the top 3 hottest women nationalities in the world right there, which means I am already making plans to attend the um...football.

I am already making plans to go to the 2014 world cup, and the football is secondary for the above reasons. Brazilian and Colombian women are stunning.

Â