Match Thread - DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

Rob182

It's amazing how our performance at Newcastle has prompted such optimism from the faithful! Hopefully we're not disappointed, it will be a very difficult game, Swansea have been nothing short of brilliant so far this season, they ripped us to shreds at VP last season and their footballing philosophy has been spot-on for years, it will be a tough ask to win this game however I believe we are capable. I'm looking forward to seeing the new players especially Benteke.

----------------------Given-----------------------

Lowton-------Clark--------Vlaar---------Bennett

-----------------KEA------Bannan----------------

---------Holman------------------Ireland---------

--------------------------------Gabby-------------

--------------------Bent----------------------------

I think it will be pretty much this.

Think this is a very big game for Bannan - he needs to show that he can be a big player and run these types of games.

It's amazing how our performance at Newcastle has prompted such optimism from the faithful!

I agree, and have a theory as to the reason.

Lambert has shown in the past, as MON did with us, that he's capable of getting the best out of his squad.

I think the fear before the Newcastle game was that our squad wasn't capable of good performances. i.e it didn't matter if Lambert got the best out of us, it wouldn't be good enough.

But the Newcastle game showed more of what we are capable of. And I think that's fueled the optimism that we can produce those performances on a regular basis if Lambert lives up to that part of his reputation of making the squad perform to their best.

That, and the number of promising signings obviously.

Personally, I can't wait to get a good look at Benteke, so hoping he gets a decent amount of gametime.

My boss is a Swansea fan, and has informed in no uncertain terms that they do not like teams 'getting into them'.

If that's the case then we really need to start with Holman and really don't need N'Zogbia (disclaimer: still hoping he turns it around this season).

I would go with

------------Guzan-------------

Lowton Vlaar Clark Bennett

----------Westwood-----------

---Ireland----KEA----Holman

---------Bent-----Benteke-----

Although I really can't decide between Benteke and Gabby starting, I would sub one for the other at some point. Possibly Gabby on as a sub running at a tired defence.

Don't know what to think - hopefully we will continue the momentum from Newcastle but sometimes I think these international breaks (hate em) come at just the wrong time . Swansea's defence might be injured but they have this "Michu" player !

Don't know what to think - hopefully we will continue the momentum from Newcastle but sometimes I think these international breaks (hate em) come at just the wrong time . Swansea's defence might be injured but they have this "Michu" player !

I raise you a KEA!

It's amazing how our performance at Newcastle has prompted such optimism from the faithful!

I agree, and have a theory as to the reason.

Lambert has shown in the past, as MON did with us, that he's capable of getting the best out of his squad.

I think the fear before the Newcastle game was that our squad wasn't capable of good performances. i.e it didn't matter if Lambert got the best out of us, it wouldn't be good enough.

But the Newcastle game showed more of what we are capable of. And I think that's fueled the optimism that we can produce those performances on a regular basis if Lambert lives up to that part of his reputation of making the squad perform to their best.

That, and the number of promising signings obviously.

Personally, I can't wait to get a good look at Benteke, so hoping he gets a decent amount of gametime.

Good point, I think it was a small "turning point" that we will look back on during Lambert's reign that Newcastle away in September 2012 was the game where everyone saw for the first time exactly what he and his staff are trying to do with Villa. Okay, we didn't win and the performance was very far from perfect but for me it was so, so refreshing after the last two seasons to watch a young Villa team play with that mentality at one of the toughest places to go in the Premier League. Hopefully we can continue that on Saturday but whether we end up winning or losing it's comforting to know that at least we are going out to WIN the game, it's a simple concept but after McLeish especially it's not one we have been treated to all the time over the past year or so.

I think people are possibly underestimating Swansea & their manager.

It wouldnt be a total suprise if they did exactly the same thing they did last year at Villa Park, far from it. Hopefully they dont and we play well 8)

I'd go with:

GK Guzan

RB Lowton

CB Vlaar

CB Clark

LB Lichaj

DM El Ahmadi

RCM Holman

CM Ireland

LCM Bannan

CF Bent

CF Benteke

Subs: Given, Bennett, N'Zogbia, Gabby, Weimann, Delph/Herd/Westwood, Baker.

I would start that narrow formation with the emphasis on keeping the ball and the full-backs to bomb forward at every opportunity. If it's not working, we have N'Zogbia and Gabby on the bench who be brought on to ultilise the wide areas and provide crosses for Bent and Benteke. It's an attacking line-up, but I think a win will create a feel-good factor around the place and I think the best way to beat Swansea is to "get at them" for ninety minutes and don't give them time on the ball. I would start Benteke as he's match-fit and and unknown quantity for Premier League defences as of yet, also Bent looks like he needs a bit of help up there at times, thirdly, we're at home and I've never liked playing one up front at home.

I predict a 2-1 Villa win, with Bent getting both goals. Swansea have a number of defensive injuries which we must exploit. I'm sure Benteke will feature at some point.

The Newcastle result was very encouraging and its time we finally turn a corner after getting a good result, for a change. Swansea are no pushovers, but dont have a world class player in their team like Fellaini. If we can get into them and take our chances, we can win this.