Failure from set pieces

peterjrpowell

• 2 months later...

simple..the quality of ball is not delivered from the players,the same can be said of in open play..its not down to the manager or last years manager..its the players..the shinning star is westwood at the present time,his corner got cb his goal.

• 3 weeks later...

The 3-5-2 also helps us with defending and attacking set pieces.

I'm thinking of options like Vlaar, Clark, Baker, Herd and Benteke always being present for all our corners or free kicks, attacking or defending.

Agbonlahor and Weimann are no mugs in the air either. What we have now is every bit as good as the Laursen days under MON, and it rivals any strength teams like Stoke and Allardyce's Bolton have had in the past. If we stick with this system I expect us to definitely stick a few more in the net from dead balls this season.

A couple of those aforementioned guys just need to knock one in off the knee or something to really get us going.

• 1 month later...

this is shocking stat

"Lambert accepted that Villa's ability to defend set pieces is a concern. Villa have conceded 15 goals from dead-ball situations in the Premier League this season, which is more than any other top-flight club and represents the continuation of a worrying pattern that has set in over the past few years.

Under Alex McLeish, Villa conceded 25 goals from set pieces last season, which was the poorest record in the league. The season before, during Houllier's brief reign, Villa conceded 27 goals from set pieces."

this is shocking stat

"Lambert accepted that Villa's ability to defend set pieces is a concern. Villa have conceded 15 goals from dead-ball situations in the Premier League this season, which is more than any other top-flight club and represents the continuation of a worrying pattern that has set in over the past few years.

Under Alex McLeish, Villa conceded 25 goals from set pieces last season, which was the poorest record in the league. The season before, during Houllier's brief reign, Villa conceded 27 goals from set pieces."

I honestly don't think we've conceded 15 set piece goals in the Prem so far. 

Always great when there is a clear weakness in the team and the manager is unable to rectify it despite being given £20m!

it's been a weakness for long before lambert tbh

something is wrong on the training ground at villa. it's not our managers, it can't be

does anyone know if the coaching staff has been retained from the mon days, or if they're all cleared out when a new manager comes in? im not talking about the really important guys like assistant managers or head coaches, but the rest of the staff? because we have the same issues whoever the manager is, regardless of how often we change, and that suggests to me that the problem goes deeper than the guy in the manager's seat

I disagree - I blame the managers.

They choose the players, the coaching, they have all had the ability to sign players who are good at defending set pieces.

yet we've had how many managers in a row now with the exact same problem at corners, despite having different players involved? that's an incredible coincidence

If we have Barry Bannan taking the corners in training then we know what the problem is eh?  :rolleyes:

You may be joking but its a valid comment. We have noone at the football club who can deliver a set piece. Its a bit easier to defend Bannan's floaty crosses (every team has practically done that the last two years). How are you suppose to practice if your not really being tested with good crosses like when we play our opposition.

Shaun Teale was on Talksport and offered his services for free and Lambert rejected it. More help the better.

this is shocking stat

WHy is it shocking, its coming down each season... :lol:

Â