how many career changes have you had??

donnie

Left uni and got a job energy assessing, got made redundant and worked in the jeweller quarter for 3 months leading up to christmas thanks to a very kind friend, found a job that started in January, again in energy assesment.

I have just handed in my notice for this job and am moving into a more senior role developing a business plan to set up a branch of sustainability within a small business in Gloucester - I'm bricking it, but at my age (25) I needed to take the leap of faith to see how far I can potentially go. Timing's not the best though because I'm getting married in Vegas in March next year so if I fail...!!! :(

But I won't fail, because I am awesome. :lol:

I've had a few -

Garden centre with my dad

Funeral director (work experience)

Chippy

GAME

Rich products - technical development (I designed cookies & donuts)

Quantity surveyor

Got a degree in my current job and done it for 7 years so other than changing the field I'm in or getting promoted that's me done, was a bit strange at 21 going from food development into construction but in my experience it just gave me something to talk about

None. Been in Conveyancing since I was 18 - did change firms three years ago though but wish I had taken a total career change long ago - never liked conveyancing - only wanted to work in a solicitors' office to do divorce - never managed to move over to it - too late now . Should have maybe taken some courses/exams when younger so I could have been the boss rather than the assistant, should have taken the opportunity and made more of myself . Was very silly when younger not to have branched out - that's what happens I guess when you tie yourself down to marriage at age 19 :cry: (how depressing I sound) - my advice then is to not get yourself stuck in a rut! (No-one thinks any the more of you for staying loyal)

Just one change really. Worked in a factory for a couple of years as a teenager and hated it. I virtually fell into a job on the railway aged 19 and have been in the rail industry ever since (14 years) though I have held various positions within the industry. Been with my current employer since 2002.

If been with my current company for just over 10 years. Finished my A levels and joined as an apprentice electrician aged 19. Worked on site for 5 years while doing my qualifications and then moved into the office as an estimator/project manager.

Just (within the last week) had a job offer for a position that i applied for which is along the same lines as what i do now, but with loads of scope for progression, which i dont have where i currently am. Should start the new job in the next couple of weeks.

Zero for me too. Started working part time for Kwik Save when i was 18, 11 years later and now a Deputy Manager for Sainsburys.

Small world. I've been in and out of 33 Holborn for about 10 years now offering them advice. Good company. Invest.

What do you do then mate?

Ive worked in shipping/logistics last 2 years. The money isnt great and chances of progression is slim. Already have a degree which has got me no where and at 27 need to find what i want to do now.

Considering either doing a PGCE for primary school teaching or going back to uni to do radiography (which i want to do), however the thought of 3 years with no cash is hard to swallow.

Ive worked in shipping/logistics last 2 years. The money isnt great and chances of progression in slim. Already have a degree which has got me no where and at 27 need to find what i want to do now.

Considering either doing a PGCE for primary school teaching or going back to uni to do radiography (which i want to do), however the thought of 3 years with no cash is hard to swallow.

My elder daughter was in a similar position - 2:1 in English, but no career job (working for Morrisons at minimum wage).

She really, really wanted to do primary PGCE, did some teaching assistant work at our local school (where they absolutely loved her and said she was a born primary teacher), applied to all the local colleges/universities that offered it - and couldn't get a place. A year later she tried again - still no joy. And I know someone else who had exactly the same experience - she's working at Starbucks.

Apparently, the courses around here (West Yorkshire) are, massively oversubscribed - they get about 100 applications for every available place, very few of them "timewasters". She is mightily pissed off about it.

Funnily enough, I also have a friend who went back to Uni to do radiography - he got a 1st, and an immediate job.

Draw from all that what you will!

Ive worked in shipping/logistics last 2 years. The money isnt great and chances of progression in slim. Already have a degree which has got me no where and at 27 need to find what i want to do now.

My elder daughter was in a similar position - 2:1 in English, but no career job (working for Morrisons at minimum wage).

She really, really wanted to do primary PGCE, did some teaching assistant work at our local school (where they absolutely loved her and said she was a born primary teacher), applied to all the local colleges/universities that offered it - and couldn't get a place. A year later she tried again - still no joy. And I know someone else who had exactly the same experience - she's working at Starbucks.

Apparently, the courses around here (West Yorkshire) are, massively oversubscribed - they get about 100 applications for every available place, very few of them "timewasters". She is mightily pissed off about it.

Funnily enough, I also have a friend who went back to Uni to do radiography - he got a 1st, and an immediate job.

The thing with primary school is the obvious massive shortage of male primary school teachers, around 15% are male. The teaching unions are encouraging more males to go into the profession, so whether that would work in my favour i dont know.

Was your friend a mature student in radiography??

The thing with primary school is the obvious massive shortage of male primary school teachers, around 15% are male. The teaching unions are encouraging more males to go into the profession, so whether that would work in my favour i dont know.

Was your friend a mature student in radiography??

Yep. In his 40s.

It's an interesting thing with teaching, the courses do appear to be massively overly subscribed. Even if you get qualified, the chances of a placement don't appear great, though being new and therefore 'cheap' does help.

In my little social circle I've got friends that have tried to get into it and couldn't and friends that succeeded a few years ago (10 / 15 years ago) and love it. They love the work with younger kids and they also love the job security and frankly, the holidays. School breaks up, they hang around for a few days, then it's 4 weeks in France, every year.

That's part of the problem for some parts of the teaching profession. You get the right job (I don't think I'd fancy a poor London Comp), and life can be sweet. For that reason, the kneejerk is to complain that a teacher's life is easy.

Logic certainly dictates that an over subscription of people trying to become primary school teachers suggests the grief / payback ratio is favourable when currently compared with what else is out there.

So what are good careers to get into then in mid 20's?? to old to become a humble plumber, electrician which would suit me fine. Not clever enough to do accountancy, so teaching and radiography is all i can think of...in my industry cant see me ever earning much more then £25k. Need more to buy a house in future years to come.

Â