Media and punditry

BOF

If you think english pundits are bad, you should see most finnish pundits. During european championships one pundit even said about one team "I dont know anything about them".

Understandable though, when your main sports are Winter sports ;)

Yeah, but football is very popular :). The odd thing is that fooball pundirtry was very good in the past, especially in late 90s and early 2000s. They had tools for showing stuff about certain circumstances, like goals etc. to the viewers but especially on this European Championships it was pretty much "Let's put the minium effort on this".

One of the few bright spots were Jari Litmanen who was great, he actually knew what he was talking about and told it well.

Anyway, have you lot noticed how like half of the commentators during the gameplay are scottish? :D

I don't know who's doing the pseudo-commentary on ITV4's Bundesliga Highlights (by "pseudo" I mean it's that type of commentary that is added post-match to a highlight reel but is spoken with emphasis as if to live broadcast) but they have drawn the ire of my inner-pedant on a number of occasions with the odd 'John-Barnes-ism' ("Ralf Unnerstall" instead of Ralf Fährmann or Lars Unnerstall, for example). Worse still, they like to sensationalise non-factoids like Aaron Hunt's mother being *gasp* an "Englishman" [sic]. Although hearing them pronounce "Grurrrrturrrfurrrrtuhhh" is worth the price of admission alone.

FSW is a good pundit when he covers CL games.

Interestingly when i was in asia, i was watching football out there and alot of their coverage is based around betting, you would get a few guys talking about form, tactics etc then going through what bets would be best for the game. Ie. Villa for 1st half/2nd half, villa +2.5, first goalscorers etc.

There are few good ones, IMO.

Pat Nevin is sharp, Lee Dixon was good on the Beeb - not seen much of him on the ITV football.

Hansen when he can be bothered tells you stuff (well me, anyway) I hadn't noticed.

Never seen Gary Neville, other than on a YouTube clip where he talked about diving, and just by stating the truth he was about 10 times better than all the others, bar those 3 I mentioned above.

Andy Gray used to be good, a decade ago, but disappeared up his own chuff.

So they're all rubbish apart from Neville, Dixon, Nevin and Hansen. Keano could be but he's much too concerned with his views/opinion of players attitude than to what is good or bad or different in terms of tactics or play.

James Richardson is a very good presenter, but not an expert pundit.

I love Gerry Armstrong when he commentates on La Liga and when he's on with Kevin Keatings it's fantastic. Rob Palmer, the other guy who does La Liga is a clearing in the woods and goes way overboard with the Barca loving (as much as I love Barca). Scott Minto is shite.

I like Lee Dixon, I think since he has moved to ITV it has shown how good a pundit he really is as he sticks out like a sore thumb amongst that shower. Really confident and almost looks like he has bothered to do some media training. I also like Graham Taylor when he's on Five Live and I've enjoyed Joe Royle when he's been on ESPN before, he actually goes out of his way to praise refs from time to time.

I think Football Weekly is head and shoulders above everything else. It's a different science of course, they are talking about games a day or two after they have been played so they have had more time to think about things but the quality is excellent. James Richardson is a national treasure but has been stated several times, is not really a pundit but they do have some truly excellent people on, Raphael Honegstein and Amy Lawrence spring to mind instantly. TV should give more journalists prominent roles in my opinion, I doubt they will though because they just want somebody who is instantly recognisable and has 'credentials' because they won 50 international caps or the FA Cup or something.

agree with gerry "have a look at this" armstrong

read graham hunter's book its very good, clearly knows his stuff about barca and from what i can tell is friendly with just about everyone at the club so id believe pretty much everything he says (unlike ballague)

vickery's blog is excellent

For me the only football pundits I learn from are Gary Neville, Tim Vickery and Graham Hunter.

fully agree with this. last 2 are brilliant and should be given a lot more media coverage. Sid Lowe is also quite good

I know comparisons are never the best but look at Sky football pundits and cricket pundits, its a different league. Except Neville the rest seem to think the audience are idiots and never treat them with respect with stupid comments e.g jamie redknapp.

On cricket most of the commentators are insightful and know what they are talking about and are not afraid to say it as they see it like Hussain

Â