Media and punditry

BOF

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Watching the tennis and they have Henman and Becker alongside Andrew Cotter and both are informative and interesting to listen to.

They clearly pick the wrong ex-pros for football commentary (probably down to the media bias of who they played for!) 

I think its usually the English pundits they pick that make it shit. Frank Lebouef and Del Piero are better on ESPN at not just punditry but the English language than Jenas, Rio or Keown. Finding a decent English pundit/commentatoris really hard, Chris Waddle was good but not sure he is allowed on anymore. Klinsnann and De Jong have been good too from clips in this tournament 

• Like 2

Is there still a delay watching on iPlayer? Did it during the World Cup for the 4k but heard the neighbours celebrating before I'd seen the goal. My internet connection is good so that wasn't the issue - it was clearly just slower as a medium than watching on TV.

Agree about both commentary teams being shite, but definitely prefer the BBC one. Matterface was all over the place against Denmark and Dixon is a useless know-it-all moron who oscillates between dourness and pathetic attempts at humour.

They'd never consider a Scot but I'd still have McCoist on the final co-comms over any of the others!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troglodyte said:

Is there still a delay watching on iPlayer? Did it during the World Cup for the 4k but heard the neighbours celebrating before I'd seen the goal. My internet connection is good so that wasn't the issue - it was clearly just slower as a medium than watching on TV.

Agree about both commentary teams being shite, but definitely prefer the BBC one. Matterface was all over the place against Denmark and Dixon is a useless know-it-all moron who oscillates between dourness and pathetic attempts at humour.

They'd never consider a Scot but I'd still have McCoist on the final co-comms over any of the others!

Sight delay, I watched on iplayer for the comms the other day and was on here at the same time. Posters were celebrating before the goal went in.

Luckily its VT so it didn't really give away if IT was England or not who had scored.

Yeah, my iPlayer is very slow as well; I think it was against Germany I heard the neighbours celebrating and it was about 30 seconds later the goal went in. Very frustrating, means I can't chat about the game on here. Oh well, probably best for my mental health to be fair.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, my iPlayer is very slow as well; I think it was against Germany I heard the neighbours celebrating and it was about 30 seconds later the goal went in. Very frustrating, means I can't chat about the game on here. Oh well, probably best for my mental health to be fair.

If you were worried about your mental health I'd suggest supporting a different team based in the stresses of the last decade or so. 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Watching the tennis and they have Henman and Becker alongside Andrew Cotter and both are informative and interesting to listen to.

They clearly pick the wrong ex-pros for football commentary (probably down to the media bias of who they played for!) 

i think theres a difference in education level between ex tennis players and the majority of ex footballers. 

Just now, PaulC said:

i think theres a difference in education level between ex tennis players and the majority of ex footballers. 

That may be true but it shouldn’t stop someone being able to talk about a sport they’ve been involved in with some measure of competency.

Football commentary is riddled with easy cliches and it’s almost like commentators have to say them as it’s the done thing instead of talking about what is actually happening on the pitch! 

The pundits and commentators were shit for this tournament. With the exception of Ally Mccoist and the foreign guys who kept things balanced fair and unbiased.

Rio Ferdinand and Gary Neville can take a running jump.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

The pundits and commentators were shit for this tournament. With the exception of Ally Mccoist and the foreign guys who kept things balanced fair and unbiased.

Rio Ferdinand and Gary Neville can take a running jump.

It’s the Old Boys’ Brigade. These are the arseholes who defend the likes of Steve Bruce. They pretend to be into the technical aspects of football, but they’re just defenders of the status quo: wheeling out the old sayings. They aren’t students of the game and they’re too worried about bumping into one of their old pals at a charity day on a golf course. 

I’ve found some of the female pundits some of the most effective: several on BBC Radio Scotland have been v good, indeed. Shorn of the connections to the Old Boys’ Brigade, they’re more willing to say what they see and comment objectively. 

• Like 1

Other than going yeah no a lot, Dean Smith would probably be a good commentator.  At least he would talk eloquently and give some interesting insight.

Hearing lots of pundits from around football picking out all the problems from the final that people have been complaining about all tournament while at the time they were effectively saying shut up you’re wrong this is how you win a tournament.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

failed manager Gary Neville defending Southgate. what a clearing in the woods 

He's becoming a rent-a-gob now. Got an opinion on everything. 

• Like 1

On 10/07/2021 at 12:48, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, my iPlayer is very slow as well

My iPlayer feed is slow as well... currently 1-1... hope it doesn't go to pens...

• Haha 1

Â