Media and punditry

BOF

On 20/08/2019 at 14:33, Genie said:

I've put it on a couple of times, and have to turn it straight off. I just can't stand the background shouts from the pundits watching a game that's not the one being discussed. Really annoys me.

It's horrendous.

I think I put it in this thread, but I put it on last season and it was the game where a Leeds player collapsed on the bench and had to be taken to hospital. He was fine in the end but didn't know that at the time.

The show came back after a break, and Stelling was very solemnly saying something like

"Just to recap the player did collapse on the bench and has been taken to hospital. Obviously this is quite a serious and scary situation and all our thoughts are wi-"

"GGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL"

Even stelling looked incredibly pissed off

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Listening to The Debate right now, and it's an utter car crash from Ian Holloway. Almost as if to spite me. I cringed when he basically called Lukaku a brainless beast of a player.

If it’s any consolation I’ve now almost completely forgotten the time I suggested on here that Gareth Barry would be an ideal buy for us because of the good example he’d set for others, only for the daft sod to go and steal that bloody taxi in Spain three days later.

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Listening to The Debate right now, and it's an utter car crash from Ian Holloway. Almost as if to spite me. I cringed when he basically called Lukaku a brainless beast of a player.

He has clarified his comments and its even more bizarre. Turns out he just wanted rant about brexit

• Like 1

One thing I've noticed about these shows, it's usually just some old former player or manager and all they do is just whine about the state of football and the direction it's heading in. A lot of "I don't understand why" and "in my day..."'s going around. Is there really that much of an audience for that sort of thing? It's insufferable. It's just "Old Men Yell at Cloud" for 2 hours.

its safe though isn't it?

a man from within football must understand football, ex players make the best coaches, they make the best managers, they make the best pundits

If they plucked some kid in his 20s who had a really successful, good podcast or youtube show and stuck him on the MOTD panel he'd be shot down in a similar vein to alex scott, they couldn't possibly know as much as someone who played 150 times for Liverpool, they don't even seem to like the idea of putting fully fledged journalists on football shows

think it just needs a general overhaul of non football playing professionals in our game, struggling to name a single English manager who wasn't a professional player

42 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

One thing I've noticed about these shows, it's usually just some old former player or manager and all they do is just whine about the state of football and the direction it's heading in. A lot of "I don't understand why" and "in my day..."'s going around. Is there really that much of an audience for that sort of thing? It's insufferable. It's just "Old Men Yell at Cloud" for 2 hours.

Listen to talksport mate, Monday morning on talksport Alan Brazil and Sam Allerdyce were discussing the Bolton situation and calling off the game because the only team they had were academy kids who had already played twice in the week

Both of them laying into the players with shit like if your good enough your old enough completely missing the point that the only reason they were playing academy kids is because they don't have anyone else to play

It was like listening to 2 coal miners shouting at the kids today "eh, when I was lad I did 17 hours a day in pit and were thankful for it" 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Makes me think of 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

a man from within football must understand football, ex players make the best coaches, they make the best managers, they make the best pundits

If they plucked some kid in his 20s who had a really successful, good podcast or youtube show and stuck him on the MOTD panel he'd be shot down in a similar vein to alex scott, they couldn't possibly know as much as someone who played 150 times for Liverpool, they don't even seem to like the idea of putting fully fledged journalists on football shows

think it just needs a general overhaul of non football playing professionals in our game, struggling to name a single English manager who wasn't a professional player

The thing is, people like us must have watched thousands of matches, read thousands of reports, and sure we might not have kicked a ball at a professional level, but we understand the game!

From 1992-2011 I must have watched at least 5/6 games per week.

Could footballers say the same? 🤔

Edit:

So I'd watch 3 games on a Saturday, sometimes 4 if a Spanish game was on, Italian football show channel 4, 2 full games on a Sunday, 1 one a Monday, and any midweek football, so 1 or 2.

During a world cup I'd watch every possible game. 

I was a whore for live football. 

Edited by avfcDJ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

They do have a guy on the Quest show from time to time who does a podcast, think it's called not the top 20. Really knowledgable about all the teams.

I do wonder for MOT2 whether as an experiment they could get in two fans of the teams who've played that day and give their opinions on the game, manager etc. Make sure they're a little more professional than the guys Sky used to have on Fanzone back in the day (remember the tubby Villa fan?) and it would be good watch imo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

If they plucked some kid in his 20s who had a really successful, good podcast or youtube show and stuck him on the MOTD panel he'd be shot down in a similar vein to alex scott, they couldn't possibly know as much as someone who played 150 times for Liverpool, they don't even seem to like the idea of putting fully fledged journalists on football shows.

I don't think they would.

Everyone hated Gary Neville. It took about half a season before it was agreed on by 95% that he was the best pundit on TV when he first appeared.

I know it's Gary Neville and he was in fact a player so that's a bad example, but many flipped their opinion of him because he was so good. I'm certain if that was anyone else presenting that show as he did when it first appeared it would be just as successful.

If you stuck a journalist or young coach on MOTD and they were good and charasmatic, people wouldn't care. Especially after three weeks when it's obvious he knows more about football than Alan Shearer.

Funny isn't it, because we know the best players don't make the best managers all the time. That's a fact. Yet TV is stuck getting big name players in instead of saving themselves money and getting better analysis for a tenth of the price.

MOTD is actually a tricky one because you've got 3-4 mins max to "analyse" each game. MOTD2 or any of the sky or BT post match bits are better for seeing which pundits can show you something that isn't a big chuff off arrow on the on the pitch while they say "get men in the box".

Edited by Tomaszk

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

If Top Gear had Robert Kubica and Sebastian Vettel on rather than Jeremy Clarkson and James May, it would be a much worse show.

Everything is better without Jeremy Clarkson. 

That lineup could add Lewis the hamster Hamilton

It is still all jobs for the boys (and girls) lazy ,comfortable ,19th hole banter, in which serious questions are not asked as they are all riding the  football gravy train with biscuit wheels.

Most of them are either mates with the players and managers, or the other half still want to get a manager's job again so can't be too critical.

Bar a few notable exceptions it is utter drivel. You have to go from the mainstream TV channels to get anything remotely  interesting independent analysis.

But if people and sponsors are still happy to pay ridiculous sums of money in TV channel  subscriptions or adverts then why would they change it?

SKY Sunday supplement panel having a discussion on why Steve Bruce is not to blame for anything bad happening at Newcastle.

He is of course not to blame, but a bit early to be having this discussion already isn't it?

6 minutes ago, sne said:

SKY Sunday supplement panel having a discussion on why Steve Bruce is not to blame for anything bad happening at Newcastle.

He is of course not to blame, but a bit early to be having this discussion already isn't it?

Martin Samuel and think Custis(the guy Van Gaal called fat man) are in same kebab club as Brucey

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sne said:

A great example of how he has the press wrapped around his finger.

4 hours ago, sne said:

Steve has plenty of friends in the media. It's very rare you see any article exposing him for what he is. 

Â