Media and punditry

BOF

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Has Jamie Redknapp ever made an interesting point?

I'm convinced he was put there purely to make watching football all sunday afternoon more stomachable for your missus

he's better on a league of their own than he is as a football pundit

Souness raving about Maddison saying he loves a player with "swagger" and who thinks he's the best player in the world. Which is rich coming from him considering the year-long crusade he's been waging on Paul Pogba for daring to have a bit of swagger and confidence in himself.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Souness raving about Maddison saying he loves a player with "swagger" and who thinks he's the best player in the world. Which is rich coming from him considering the year-long crusade he's been waging on Paul Pogba for daring to have a bit of swagger and confidence in himself.

I don't know much about Maddison, but there is a fine line between self confidence and just being a self indulgent idiot.

For me pogba is completely and entirely right over on the self indulgent idiot side of the line, so far over that he's looking for the next line if there is one.

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I don't know much about Maddison, but there is a fine line between self confidence and just being a self indulgent idiot.

For me pogba is completely and entirely right over on the self indulgent idiot side of the line, so far over that he's looking for the next line if there is one.

There is, it's where most of their fans are

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

On the pitch or off it? I don't think he's self-indulgent on the pitch at all and the stats seem to back that up. Doesn't give the ball away particularly often, his passing accuracy is always around the 85% mark etc. He's confident, but not indulgent.

The Weekend Review, covers our game last, and then at the end rightly highlight that it was the most feisty and physical game of the weekend. Here I'm thinking they're going to talk about Billing and his multiple yellow card offences but nope, they spend 5 minutes talking about Trezeguet's little clip on the player's studs. No mention of the Wesley penalty shout (that they showed in the highlights ironically) either. So infuriating. I forgot how much it sucked to be in the PL when it comes to coverage of us. 

Just watched MOTD. Danny Murphy doesn’t like us and makes it quite obvious. Doesn’t help that he’s not a good pundit either - trying to do the ‘Lawro’ role, something that nobody needs in 2019 (or ever did).

8 minutes ago, chappy said:

Just watched MOTD. Danny Murphy doesn’t like us and makes it quite obvious. Doesn’t help that he’s not a good pundit either - trying to do the ‘Lawro’ role, something that nobody needs in 2019 (or ever did).

if you google Danny Murphy Aston Villa, you get a large number of different articles of him criticizing us or slamming Villa including having a go at Smith, Grealish, Steer even Bruce

We must have turned him down is the only reason I can think of

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Zatman said:

if you google Danny Murphy Aston Villa, you get a large number of different articles of him criticizing us or slamming Villa including having a go at Smith, Grealish, Steer even Bruce

or Terry knows his mrs.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He never liked playing at VP, thought our fans were too whiny.

Murphy reckoned Villa Park was never full when he played there, but admits it has been understandable in recent years because of the club's demise.

"They've got good support, but I never played at a full Villa Park," said Murphy. "It was very rarely ever full when I played there when they were in the Premier League.

"This so-called big club. Big clubs are where the stadium is full every week and there are season ticket waiting lists like Tottenham and Liverpool.

"At Villa the history is good. They won a European Cup and won a few titles back in the day, but they've not been a big club for a long time.

"I actually didn't particularly like playing at Villa. It was quite a dull. It very rarely had a great atmosphere apart from a League Cup quarter final we won 4-3 in the last minute with 6,000 Liverpool fans in the away end

"It wasn't a 'wow' club for me. It's like a lot of clubs who fall by the wayside. Leeds are down there, that was always full.

"That was a big club. That was a proper game. Villa was never a big game, not to us it wasn't.

"The Villa support base is there, they just don't turn up enough because they're not seeing what they want to see, which is fair enough."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/danny-murphy-branded-villa-park-12236111

We always got 42k against Liverpool when he played for them. That cup game he's on about kicked off after 9pm due to ticket fiasco.

Funny he's on about Leeds, Yes great support home and away but haven't they for years not opened up the upper tier in their main stand (like we did with Upper Trinity) to cut costs so really it's been crowds of just over 30k in 39k capacity.

Edit: This was from 2016 so out of date with the capacity crowds now.

Edited by VillaChris

Danny Murphy was a bang average player who played for a big club whilst they were going through a bang average period of history.

As a pundit he's a total joke, doubt he'd even know how to spell insight let alone deliver any.

Total cockwomble.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Danny Murphy was a bang average player who played for a big club whilst they were going through a bang average period of history.

As a pundit he's a total joke, doubt he'd even know how to spell insight let alone deliver any.

Total cockwomble.

I couldn't have put it any better!

if you had the time to delve in to it you could drive a bus through that danny murphy statement

but then if you were to present it to him as some sort of sensible debate he would simply come up with some other such bollocks, him commentating on us vs spurs in the FA cup about 3/4 years back for the BBC was some of the worst commentating I've ever heard, he didn't have a clue about us, didn't even feel forced or pre-prepared by others and spoon fed to him, he just ambled his way through the game with plenty to say about spurs but nothing about us

but he's part of the BBC job for life crew

• Like 1

Is that right Daniel? The atmosphere between two northern teams was deemed more exciting from the view point of a northerner? What a completely unexpected assertion.

And the Liverpool supporters have always been magnificent. Nothing to do with the amount of success they’ve witnessed. Of course not. That was proved when they had a bit of a wobble under Roy Hodgson. The famous atmosphere generated by the kop and it’s one song was still heard, loud and proud and in no way did the supporters turn on on Hodgson and hound him out of the club.

Average player, piss poor pundit. But y’know he’s a former player and helpfully a former Liverpool player so apparently his opinion is valuable.

Oh and what’s the waiting list for season tickets at Villa Park this year Danny? Dour word removed.

I was very disappointed with MOTD, first time I’ve watched it fully and properly was this Sunday morning. All they did was talk about how poor Luiz was, Shearer never even said anything. It was odd. 

As for Murphy, when he first started as a pundit he was decent but the longer he’s there the more it’s just “I can’t be arsed” so just goes through the motions 

I don't know why anyone cares whatsoever what they say on Match of the Day or any other show. Those kind of shows would be so much better if they just left out all the talking and just showed the match highlights.

• Like 1

Not sure what people expected from MOTD they do no research e. g ask these "experts" about Engels and prob think he is a clogger because he is tall.

Much prefer the highlights the club post of the game on Youtube and usually fair coverage for both teams

• Like 2

Â