Media and punditry

BOF

Sparks is like a parody of a football commentator. It's like she's spent years listening to commentaries and kept a crib sheet of what to say and how to say it, rather than develop her own style. It's 2 steps away from Alan Partridge. Her delivery was just daft, it was line she was trying to mimic Jim Rosenthal.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Milfner said:

Sparks is fine I think. She is very literal with her commentary though, can tell she’s cut her teeth doing radio comms. Dare I say it, Keown has actually been alright during this game too. 

Alan Green was similar when he did comms on MOTD a few seasons back "ball goes into the net" etc.

3 hours ago, One For The Road said:

That female commentator was absolutely dreadful. A radio commentator, with no personality. The clamour for female presenters, commentators and pundits is reaching fever pitch.

Fine if they are good at their job but I can't help feeling that some of them are there to fill a PC quota.

Plenty are nowadays. Jacqui Oatley is one of best football presenters around imo. Gabby Logan good aswell although less effective as a roving reporter which she always seems to be at international tournaments for some reason.

Think it's about numbers now. Only 4-5 prominent Women working for British TV at this tournament so any mistake will be highlighted. 20-30 men and it can be forgotten more easily. Unless it's Phil Neville, terrible pundit and commentator.

30 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

MON has rocked up on Fox in the US - in the studio with Seedorf.

Still makes me angry looking at that little man.

Was wondering what had happened to him. Sure ITV were saying he was doing the highlights of one of the games the other night.

5 hours ago, Milfner said:

Keown has actually been alright during this game too. 

I only saw 1st half, but I couldn’t disagree more. Thought he was awful. He just said the obvious. Pretty sure he said, if Morocco are going to get anything out of the game they have to score.. no shit 

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

MON probably goes down to the shops, spends $100 on a packet of chips and then leaves them in the pantry for 4 years.

Roy Keane calling Carlos Queiroz and excellent manager doing and excellent job, but regretting he didn't rip his head off when he was at Manure...

He really is Mel Gibson level retarded.

20 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

MON is a great pundit, doesn't do bland platitudes unlike so many others.

John Gregory used to be a good pundit too, but you never see him nowadays ?

30 minutes ago, sne said:

Finally a pundit I can agree with.

Was good point made on Irish radio about this discussion. That British stations prefer talking about incidents instead of actual football or skillful moments which Bilic wanted to see

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Was good point made on Irish radio about this discussion. That British stations prefer talking about incidents instead of actual football or skillful moments which Bilic wanted to see

Yeah far too much time is given to dissecting tight calls that honestly could or not be given rather than focusing on the actual play.

Swedish telly has our "top ref" Jonas Ericksson in the studio and he's asked about every single situation It's nice to have a ref's input from time to time, but I rather they discuss the game.

It was a tight call, move on.

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yup.  That's why VAR is so divisive - people love discussing the incidents, and VAR resolves incidents.

Â