Media and punditry

BOF

5 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

More wonderful insight from Lawrenson...

"I think a lot will depend on how Panama deal with the likes of De Bruyne and Hazard."

Yes Mark, a lot will depend on how well team A deal with the players of team B. 

Total tosspot.

Mertens has scored about 60 goals the since the Euros but I imagine Lawrenson still has no idea who he is.

• Like 1

thing is in the lead up to this tournament if the BBC or ITV paid me £50-100k a year to be on TV talking about football forget watching mertens in serie A and the CL / EL whatever they were in, i'd be watching Tunisian league football, i would have gone to these russian cities to watch a bit of football and soak up the local area, i would have looked up every players wiki and on fifa / football manager

instead they have a research team that does that for them and then hands them a crib sheet with the info on for them to cherry pick stats (as i type this lawro reads off panama's 4m population "a third of london", thats done for him bu someone else)

they pander to the crowd that has turned up just to watch the world cup, the commentary on england games is horrific, its near unwatchable because of the muppets commentating on it

How can someone being paid to be at a World Cup and gets to watch every game sound so **** depressed and openly aggrieved to be there? Word removed. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

thing is in the lead up to this tournament if the BBC or ITV paid me £50-100k a year to be on TV talking about football forget watching mertens in serie A and the CL / EL whatever they were in, i'd be watching Tunisian league football, i would have gone to these russian cities to watch a bit of football and soak up the local area, i would have looked up every players wiki and on fifa / football manager

instead they have a research team that does that for them and then hands them a crib sheet with the info on for them to cherry pick stats (as i type this lawro reads off panama's 4m population "a third of london", thats done for him bu someone else)

they pander to the crowd that has turned up just to watch the world cup, the commentary on england games is horrific, its near unwatchable because of the muppets commentating on it

Are you suggesting that a man who thought Alaska was a country isn't au fait with Panama? The geographical knowledge of Lawro knows no bounds. 

• Like 1

Lot of British punditry seems for the casual fan and why its dumbed down

You would expect SKY as a sports channel would not be like that but they are the worst. Jamie Redknapp for example

Too much hyperbole and exaggeration around England from the pundits. Lineker just described Henderson's performance as 'exceptional'. No Gary, Ronaldo was exceptional against Spain. Henderson was decent, good in spells, at best, tonight. 

We blow smoke up our player's arses then crucify them when they fail. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Xela said:

Too much hyperbole and exaggeration around England from the pundits. Lineker just described Henderson's performance as 'exceptional'. No Gary, Ronaldo was exceptional against Spain. Henderson was decent, good in spells, at best, tonight. 

We blow smoke up our player's arses then crucify them when they fail. 

It's the same every single tournament, they all talk beforehand about quelling optimism and then as soon as it starts the media lose their marbles

• Like 1

Honestly, Keown set a new low last night. He was ridiculously pro England, fine you can expect that to an extent but he was massively over the top. He would describe fairly average passages of play as brilliant, even going as far as to call the football the best of the tournament so far after 20 minutes. He'd take an annoying gulp of air after every sentence, provided no insights and the most vacuous excuses for England drawing the game, such as the heat. Probably the worst commentating performance I've ever heard. The 'analysis' in the studio was also a load of shite. You really do need a neutral head on the panel for matches like this, rather than cheerleaders. At least that provides some antidote to the constant hyping of the performance and players.

27 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

even going as far as to call the football the best of the tournament so far after 20 minutes. 

I did wonder if he watched any other games.

Turns out he commentated on Spain vs Portugal. What a nob.

15 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Martin keown... that’s where you  need that extra bit of quality... thanks for that really insightful 

Tunisian goalie gets injured in the first few minutes.

Keown: "You can see he's absolutely exhausted from the work he's had to do tonight".

Â