Media and punditry

BOF

The OP did not specify football pundits, though the fact that this is in the other football section suggests that he meant football pundits. But I think all the athletics ones are good. From the mega serious Michael Johnson to the more colloquial Colin Jackson.

I'd say it depends on athletics, pretty much all of the athetic sports rely very much on athletes technique and there are different styles even in running.

I've never watched athletics with english commentary but at least in Finland athletic co-commentators are pretty good explaining why and how someone fails because of wrong technique.

I know comparisons are never the best but look at Sky football pundits and cricket pundits...On cricket most of the commentators are insightful and know what they are talking about and are not afraid to say it as they see it like Hussain
You're right, Zatman, Cricket punditry is a million miles ahead of that for football. There are almost no rubbish cricket pundits, and a heck of a lot of really really good ones. The worst cricket pundits in this country are probably nearly as good as the best football ones, and the best are in another league altogether. I'm biased maybe as a cricket lover, but as far as coverage goes, it's the best of any sport, I feel.

I know comparisons are never the best but look at Sky football pundits and cricket pundits...On cricket most of the commentators are insightful and know what they are talking about and are not afraid to say it as they see it like Hussain
You're right, Zatman, Cricket punditry is a million miles ahead of that for football. There are almost no rubbish cricket pundits, and a heck of a lot of really really good ones. The worst cricket pundits in this country are probably nearly as good as the best football ones, and the best are in another league altogether. I'm biased maybe as a cricket lover, but as far as coverage goes, it's the best of any sport, I feel.

There is quite a difference in the level of education that Hussain and Atherton had compared to say, Jamie Redknapp, who can't even string a sentence together. Most of the cricket media have been university and even privately educated, even Phil Tufnell who is my current favourite on TMS. I think James Milner has A-Levels but I wouldn't bet on many other current or former footballers having the same. I'm not saying that is the only factor but it must have a lot to do with it.

I would say that athletics especially and cricket pundits can get away with their own opinion and therefore can come across as better than say gary neville covering liverpool vs man city

Football commentary imo often comes across as simple minded yes men playing to their audience rather than people who actually have something to say

There is quite a difference in the level of education that Hussain and Atherton had compared to say, Jamie Redknapp, who can't even string a sentence together. Most of the cricket media have been university and even privately educated, even Phil Tufnell who is my current favourite on TMS. I think James Milner has A-Levels but I wouldn't bet on many other current or former footballers having the same. I'm not saying that is the only factor but it must have a lot to do with it.

I would say it's more to do with the perception that football is a 'working class' sport and we don't understand or don't appreciate complex analysis.

Also you're right, it doesn't help that it tends to be ex players some of whom skipped over their education in pursuit of their football career.

What's probably worse is the pseudo intellectual ramblings of that clueless twunt Garth Crooks.

Well, whatever it is, it winds me right up. I rarely watch Match of the Day live, and skip all the analysis when I do, because it is really, really poor. We deserve a lot better. I'm fed up of the 'pally pally' pundits on MOTD.

Football Today what's on finnish C-More's Premier HD channel can/could be good program with pundirty since it's two hour program so they have more time per match...if the pundits actually manage to be decent ones.

It's clearly english show but no idea from which channel originally.

Top Three

Neville, Seedorf, Strachan

Closely followed by: Southgate, Vialli.

(Comfortably) Bottom Three

Shearer, Crooks, Pleat

Other notable nominated idiots: Townsend, Tyldesley, Lawrenson

That's almost certainly true, though I'm not sure either Richie Benaud or Geoff Boycott, who are both massively perceptive are Uni educated, but they're both clearly very intelligent.

Another aspect is that cricket is more of a thinking game for the players - whether batsman or bowler or Captain, you have to constantly think about the situation, the next ball and so on - that's surely got to help later on in terms of commentating and commenting.

But also, Football coverage - the TV co.s tend to go for "names" regardless of ability or perceptiveness - perhaps they look down on their viewers as being dumber than the Cricket equivalent.

Cant believe Jonathan 'goooooooooooooooaaaaaaalllll' Pearce hasn't been mentioned.

The fat cockney cnut.

Lawrenson is a waste of space and I find it a genuine insult that we have to pay his wages.

Shearer has a limited vocabulary and in truth does well to only appear mildly incompetent.

I like Gary Neville and never thought I would.

Can't stand ITV's presentation of sport generally.

Sky sacked Mark Bolton. Neither Sky or Bolton have said why.

from his twitter feed in july2011

Sky Sports told me Im “Very talented & excellent on screen” but that Im “Anti-authoritarian” & that they’d decided to not renew my contract.’ So basically they dont like my attitude and wanted rid of a potential troublemaker within the company"

Not exactly punditry program but Goals on Sunday is sometimes pretty good, especially when they interview ex-footballers and managers. I especially liked episode from couple weeks ago when they had Peter Schmeichel.

yeah to me goals on sunday shouldnt really work, its too long and gives too much time to just chatting with the guests, but most weeks its great, it pisses all over MOTD

Â