Media and punditry

BOF

On 05/12/2018 at 01:00, Zatman said:

Another i dont get is the after dinner circuit. Do people actually pay money to listen to Dean Saunders, David Batty or Rob Lee etc. talk football anecdotes

It's a hang-over from the olden days. Men used to have Working Men's Clubs where they could drink without interruption from their wives or children, tell sexist/racist jokes and cop a feel of the barmaid. The highlight at such places was when Bernard Manning or Roy Brown would come to town and tell some filthy jokes. 

Nowadays, even the most neanderthal man knows such things are gone forever so the next best thing is to try and recreate the atmosphere and environment and have a footballer tell them made up stories. They're generally full of self-important businessmen, either treating their customers or being treated by their suppliers, all peacocking about the place, trying to make out they're considerably richer than yow.

I've had the misfortune of going to a couple of them, including one where Saunders told the Clough story (about 8 years before the talksport kerfuffle) and they are about the most repulsive things I've ever been to.

• Like 2

On 04/12/2018 at 23:04, Zatman said:

Do BBC still have Garth Crooks? A true entertainer

I'm convinced they only still employ him for the comedy factor.

Does he still do his team of the week where he basically just picks a goalkeeper and 10 players who scored?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

Does he still do his team of the week where he basically just picks a goalkeeper and 10 players who scored?

Ah Garth. My favourite in last few years was one weekend calling for James Morrison of WBA to be given an England call up. He had 30 Scotland caps at that point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Ah Garth. My favourite in last few years was one weekend calling for James Morrison of WBA to be given an England call up. He had 30 Scotland caps at that point.

Not the time he put Cuellar in team of week when he was 91st minute sub

• Haha 1

I’m convinced that Garth’s Team of the week is deliberately weird every week. 

Nobody gives a **** what his team of the week is. The only way anybody is ever interested in it is when it’s batshit crazy

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

For some reason, Turner has Steve Nash (The former NBA Player) doing commentary for the Champions League... 

Pretty sure he loves football more than he does basketball. Played as a junior, but chose basketball as a career. Think he is in the football media over in the US. Huge Tottenham supporter.

• Like 1

On 07/12/2018 at 15:42, Mantis said:

Only 8 outfield players scored in his team this week 

He's losing his touch

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The United/ Solskjaer wankfest that's going on right now exposes the sheer vacuity that lies at the heart of modern day punditry. They've just beat Cardiff and Huddersfield, two of the worst sides in the league yet Solskjaer is some sort of 'revelation'. I cannot wait for the shit to hit the fan.

• Like 2

On 17/12/2018 at 22:11, Zatman said:

McInally was the only one I like and he seems be pushed out in recent seasons 

I remember him reporting from villa park (actually in the stadium) and whilst on air, we scored (think it was against chelsea) and Rambo turned to the pitch gave a double fist pump and a big "yeeeeaaaah !!", then he turned back to the camera and continued with his report - classic !

• Like 1

On 07/12/2018 at 13:53, choffer said:

It's a hang-over from the olden days. Men used to have Working Men's Clubs where they could drink without interruption from their wives or children, tell sexist/racist jokes and cop a feel of the barmaid. The highlight at such places was when Bernard Manning or Roy Brown would come to town and tell some filthy jokes. 

Nowadays, even the most neanderthal man knows such things are gone forever so the next best thing is to try and recreate the atmosphere and environment and have a footballer tell them made up stories. They're generally full of self-important businessmen, either treating their customers or being treated by their suppliers, all peacocking about the place, trying to make out they're considerably richer than yow.

I've had the misfortune of going to a couple of them, including one where Saunders told the Clough story (about 8 years before the talksport kerfuffle) and they are about the most repulsive things I've ever been to.

I kept driving past 'an evening with Graeme Souness' advertised at the Bescot in the M6 before Xmas. I thought who the hell would pay for that

On 27/12/2018 at 10:23, mottaloo said:

I remember him reporting from villa park (actually in the stadium) and whilst on air, we scored (think it was against chelsea) and Rambo turned to the pitch gave a double fist pump and a big "yeeeeaaaah !!", then he turned back to the camera and continued with his report - classic !

Same when we had that mental 4-4 game vs Chelsea. Barry had a penalty in the last minute to equalise.

McInally was one of the guys in the studio reporting on the game while watching it on the telly, but he wasn't doing the Villa game. But in the build up to that penalty being taken you could hear him off camera

"Come on Gareth... COME ON GARETH" 

:D

• Like 1

Â