Media and punditry

BOF

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

How is Jamie Carragher still in a job ffs?

well he is part of the Liverpool quota so needs keep his job. No idea why ex players are automatically hired as pundits as if they are all experts

Steve Nicol, Michael Owen are even worse

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

well he is part of the Liverpool quota so needs keep his job. No idea why ex players are automatically hired as pundits as if they are all experts

Steve Nicol, Michael Owen are even worse

It's been a long held bugbear of mine that the likes of micky quinn, savage, gerrard, clinton morrison, barton and many other ex players jump on the media gravy train (yes I know why THEY do it but why tv moguls think they are worthy is beyond me). It's a kick in the teeth for the many who have studied hard at sports journalism who get queue jumped by ex players who struggle to string a coherent sentence together. 

Then again I've always thought this punditry analysis of games goes OTT for the sake of filling air time.

• 2 weeks later...

Garth Crooks 

His team of the week is just basically people who have scored. 3 of the 4 defenders in this weeks team scored (Bertrand, Laporte and Maguire)

Does this charlatan have any other criteria? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Garth Crooks 

His team of the week is just basically people who have scored. 3 of the 4 defenders in this weeks team scored (Bertrand, Laporte and Maguire)

Does this charlatan have any other criteria? 

Honestly, I think it's now a parody of itself.

I think they know they get a lot more attention if that team is nonsense. Because who honestly gives a **** who Garth Crooks think is any good?

If it made perfect sense nobody would read it.

Currently watching the coverage of the Champions League group stage draw on Sky Sports News.  It's Jim White struggling to fill time in a studio surrounded by four behemoths of football and oration: Darren Bent, Stephen Warnock, Joleon Lescott and Paul Parker.

It's beyond painful.

• Like 1

It gets worse.  Cliché after cliché.

Darren Bent banging on about 'Afletico'.  Shut your fat mouth.

Edit: Then they go for an ad break, and when they return Darren Bent is on his phone. Made a very bad job of trying to surreptitiously return it to his pocket. Knob.

Edited by Troglodyte
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another week and another gaffe by 2 cretins

Andy Gray and Richard Keys have been branded "clueless" after their latest punditry gaffe.

The beIN SPORTS presenters appeared to be missing some vital facts when discussing Burnley's goalkeeping situation with guest pundit John Barnes.

Joe Hart, signed from Manchester City for £3.5million this summer, has started every one of Burnley's Premier League games so far this season.

Tom Heaton, who started the last campaign as first choice between the sticks, has had to settle for a place on the bench, while Nick Pope - who went to the World Cup with England - is injured.

Gray, 62, made a glaring error when discussing Sean Dyche's goalkeeping options - and sidekick Keys, 61, did not disagree with him.

Speaking to Keys and Liverpool legend Barnes, Gray said: "You've got Tom Heaton - a young man. Nick Pope - a young man. You've got Joe Hart, who's what - 35 plus?

"So you have to make a decision, don't you? What do you do - do you keep one of your young starlets who's got plenty years ahead of him or do you cash in on both of them and earn your club..."

On Twitter, viewers were quick to point out that Hart is in fact 31 and "young man" Heaton is 32, which pretty much invalidates his argument.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/dinosaurs-andy-gray-richard-keys-13258528

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1) nothing on him playing there for villa and then man city and liverpool not giving him the chance there

2) definitely nothing on him quitting england and never getting the chance there

3) a little bit today because he's done the CL pre match interview but what it means for liverpool captain and englands number 1 midfielder jordan henderson

• Like 1

Â