Media and punditry

BOF

32 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

i think he's not the worst on fox but still it isn't pretty. Also I'm pretty sure he did the MLS game yesterday... did fox not send all of the commentators over to Russia or what

They didn't send ANY OF THEM.  They're calling the games from their LA studio!

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, maqroll said:

They didn't send ANY OF THEM.  They're calling the games from their LA studio!

that's crazy and ridiculous imo. fox needs to drastically restructure their coverage of soccer. 

Martin keown is one of the worst... first five minutes.. “Hazard is quick” “Hazard is nippy” “Hazard is wizzy”... pure insight... not going to comment how the Japanese players kept up with him and he went nowhere.

”Kevin De Bruyne can really pass a ball” “Kevin de Bruyne isn’t getting the ball with his back to goal not on the turn.” Why don’t you criticise your media friend martinez and say that he has tactics wrong without de bruyne playing behind the shit kicker Witsel..

• Like 1

Rio is hardly inciteful at times but it's hard not to connect with his exuberance. He obviously has a lot of love for football.

Him, Alex Scott and Danny Murphy along with Lineker have been the good bits of the beeb's coverage for me.

from tournaments past rio offered some good insight in to the players mentality "this is what he's thinking" "this is what he's trying to do" etc but this WC he seems to have just sunk in to the dumbed down crowd not really offering anything

When we get to the stage where the England games are on both BBC and ITV (does that still happen?) then I will choose BBC every time...

... unless the co-commentator is Lawrenson. I don’t give a **** who is on ITV, they win. 

13 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Martin keown is one of the worst... first five minutes.. “Hazard is quick” “Hazard is nippy” “Hazard is wizzy”... pure insight... not going to comment how the Japanese players kept up with him and he went nowhere.

”Kevin De Bruyne can really pass a ball” “Kevin de Bruyne isn’t getting the ball with his back to goal not on the turn.” Why don’t you criticise your media friend martinez and say that he has tactics wrong without de bruyne playing behind the shit kicker Witsel..

I think he's the worst I've ever heard, as you say, absolutely zero insight at all, he should be questioning why KDB is playing so deep as a matter of tactics. How someone like Tim Vickery isn't a regular fixture on the BBC I will never know. The sad fact is that most (British) ex-players think they have a god given right to be there because they played the game before, however being even a 'great' footballer in the past doesn't necessarily qualify you to be a great pundit. Most of these pundits and commentators simply describe the game rather than impart any insight, it's absolutely piss poor and certainly has gone backwards. Hansen and even Jimmy Hill were so much better than the tripe on TV today.

• Like 1

"There are a fit side this Japan side."

"They work so hard for each other this Japan side."

"I'm really impressed by the fitness and work ethic of this Japan team."

"Japan pressing again, their fitness is really impressive."

Yes, Martin. it is almost as if they are professional athletes.

18 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Rio is hardly inciteful at times but it's hard not to connect with his exuberance. He obviously has a lot of love for football.

Him, Alex Scott and Danny Murphy along with Lineker have been the good bits of the beeb's coverage for me.

Danny "when I was at Liverpool we did that" Murphy.

And, Danny "that defender had a torrid time at Anfield last season, most defenders did" Murphy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dick said:

Danny "when I was at Liverpool we did that" Murphy.

And, Danny "that defender had a torrid time at Anfield last season, most defenders did" Murphy.

I'm surprised it took 18hours for someone to pick up on that one :)

A bit like @villa4europe said about Rio for me, when he first did stuff he was quite refreshing and knowledgeable - 4 years of talksport and 5 live or whatever seem to have dumbed him down to everyone's level unfortunately. Still be my choice if only by default at the BBC's co-commentators dept though. Lawro - Keown - Phil Neville - Danny Murphy

• Like 1

Â