Media and punditry

BOF

probably my mind in full on 2018 mode but did anyone else just hear the conversation between the commentators about nigerian green not being his colour to which he responded "i dunno i have now got a tan"

not sure if thats as racist as my mind first made it out to sound or completely innocent 

Keown is one of the worst I’ve heard.

“We know what Ronaldo would do with a freekick like that - Score” Really Martin does he score every freekick, or did he go a very long without scoring?

Main commentator “ (x) has done very well today” Keown “Strength”.... followed by dead air..

• Like 2

You'd think they'd be hiring commentators who see the game on another level. Have the ability to explain to the viewer exactly why things are panning out the way they are on the field, why the managers have set-up the way they have specifically in regards to their opponents strengths and weaknesses.

But no we get tripe Hoddle, Townsend, Keown, etc, who just state the obvious and real off meaningless platitude after meaningless platitude. Good players certainly don't necessarily make good pundits. 

On 22/06/2018 at 11:33, sne said:

Swedish telly has our "top ref" Jonas Ericksson in the studio and he's asked about every single situation It's nice to have a ref's input from time to time, but I rather they discuss the game. 

Very annoying as he has solid opinions when they do give him the time to air them and not zone in on ref stuff. He is a plesant surprise and should be used more.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Very annoying as he has solid opinions when they do give him the time to air them and not zone in on ref stuff. He is a plesant surprise and should be used more.

Interesting topic raised by Ericksson there.

USA has 2 refs at the WC, something that is extremely rare. Especially for such a small football nation as them. The MLS isn't exactly a big stage to learn your trade at.

compensation for them missing out on the WC?

22 minutes ago, sne said:

Interesting topic raised by Ericksson there.

USA has 2 refs at the WC, something that is extremely rare. Especially for such a small football nation as them. The MLS isn't exactly a big stage to learn your trade at.

compensation for them missing out on the WC?

They are a league that uses VAR a lot would be one of reasons I be thinking of

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

They are a league that uses VAR a lot would be one of reasons I be thinking of

Could be.

Or it's FIFA desperately trying to make them a relevant football nation.

18 hours ago, penguin said:

You'd think they'd be hiring commentators who see the game on another level. Have the ability to explain to the viewer exactly why things are panning out the way they are on the field, why the managers have set-up the way they have specifically in regards to their opponents strengths and weaknesses.

But no we get tripe Hoddle, Townsend, Keown, etc, who just state the obvious and real off meaningless platitude after meaningless platitude. Good players certainly don't necessarily make good pundits. 

i think the remit is to not even try that level of depth, they seem to work on the assumption the tournaments bring out new fans who dont normally watch football so arent interested in tactics etc, the disappointing thing is they have at times previously had some kind of balance in the studio where you would have rio trying to tell you what is going through the players head, someone giving tactical insight and then someone like bilic or leonardo just generally giving refreshing views, this year they seem to have dumbed the studio down too, they dont really tell you anything

im surprised they havent gone to youtube / social media and tried to introduce a vlogger in to the mix, like a chris harris type, neither station has like a world cup extra type show which i think would give them a platform to introduce some of them

how tim vickery isnt on anything seems mad to me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

i think the remit is to not even try that level of depth, they seem to work on the assumption the tournaments bring out new fans who dont normally watch football so arent interested in tactics etc, the disappointing thing is they have at times previously had some kind of balance in the studio where you would have rio trying to tell you what is going through the players head, someone giving tactical insight and then someone like bilic or leonardo just generally giving refreshing views, this year they seem to have dumbed the studio down too, they dont really tell you anything

im surprised they havent gone to youtube / social media and tried to introduce a vlogger in to the mix, like a chris harris type, neither station has like a world cup extra type show which i think would give them a platform to introduce some of them

how tim vickery isnt on anything seems mad to me

Never played as a pro so what the hell can he know about football.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, penguin said:

You would think they could have trial periods where the absolute disasters like Phil Neville and Michael Owen would be found out. Once they get their foot in the door it seems to be a handy earner for life.

6 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Phil Neville is a right thick plank.

Quite a contrast to his brother who I thought made an excellent observation with the Kroos winner. The slight shift to the right took the keeper one step to the left resulting in the top corner being exposed. This is what punditry should be about, providing that intricate analysis that the regular viewer may miss. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, West said:

Quite a contrast to his brother who I thought made an excellent observation with the Kroos winner. The slight shift to the right took the keeper one step to the left resulting in the top corner being exposed. This is what punditry should be about, providing that intricate analysis that the regular viewer may miss. 

It is though, we can all see a shit decision. We want media experts to show us what went wrong on the pitch

2 hours ago, Milfner said:

Lee Dixon. Another ex-defender turned co-commentator who’s a moaning shitebag. 

We have him every weekend in the US. Drone machine. Puts you right back to sleep.

Football 365 mediawatch sums up English media for me. They pull them up for there faults and its true. I really cant believe any other nations media wants them to fail but England its like a dedication

• Like 2

Â