Media and punditry

BOF

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I used to like Stelling but he loves himself too much now. word removed. 

Agree, soccer Saturday isn't the same anymore and it's gone a bit stale

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the problem is they dont have to battle to stay fresh or get better because this is the alternative

final-score-chat.jpg

BBCs coverage of football is so shit that sky dont seem to care that their product isnt good enough any more

I disagree, the real competition is BT Sport and they are taking views from Sky. Soccer Saturday like Soccer AM is tired and past it's best.

I'm glad the reaction in here to Stelling's outburst is the same as my own.  I was beginning to think I was mad.  Social meeja by and large thought it was great PASHUN and just Jeff being Jeff.  I thought it was a terrible lack of judgement.

Jeff you are the president of the club FFS*.  You didn't even need to abuse your position as an extremely popular TV presenter to get your point across.  You literally have every phone number of every person in power at Hartlepool, not to mention probably the use of any boardroom at Victoria Park where you might want to have a meeting about said manager.

But no, you choose to mortify not only a fellow professional, but a colleague; someone on the payroll at your own club.  It was the height of disrespect, and like those above, I must say Jeff has gone down in my estimation after that.

Now what I WILL say is given the amount of talking Jeff has to do from one end of that show to the other, it's amazing he doesn't put his foot in it more often.  So I'll give him this one as a suspended sentence.  Don't do it again.  Hopefully he watched it all back afterwards and regretted it on some level.  Not that he'd ever admit that publically.  Maybe he'll have learned something about his behaviour from it.  Time will tell.  If he does something similar again then we'll know he didn't.

* I know he's not any more, but he was at the point of the rant.

12 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I disagree, the real competition is BT Sport and they are taking views from Sky. Soccer Saturday like Soccer AM is tired and past it's best.

I didn't even know BT did a Saturday afternoon live scores show, who's on it?

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Robbie Savage, Chris **** Sutton and about 20 other people. never watched but looks a bit messy 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

A summary for you mate.

Think it's presented by Mark Pougatch, sometimes Matt Smith (no, not that one).

Pundits I've seen on it include Paul Ince, John Hartson, Kevin Campbell, Dean Saunders, Jermaine Jenas, Howard Webb and a female player whose name I couldn't tell you.

They mostly take a back seat to the aggressive flirting between Chris Sutton & Robbie Savage in their never ending battle of (t)wits. 

They only get live updates from commentators at premier league games. 

The biggest plus is the woman who provides an update on the football league scores is rather fetching. She doesn't seem to sit with the others which makes her more appealing.

Otherwise it makes me nostalgic for the days of wasting my Saturday afternoon slowly watching the scores change on Ceefax.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Paul Ince, Dean Saunders, Jermaine Jenas, Chris Sutton & Robbie Savage

To bastardise Martin Amis, these are some of the most complete 'personalities' British football has produced. 

• 2 weeks later...

That bT scores show is free to view and after watching this afternoon I see why, Robbie savage spends to entire show disagreeing with everyone, they occasionally go to graham poll in a different room which actually looks like he's on chat roulette and Chris Sutton sounds like he needs to speak to the Samaritans.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

That bT scores show is free to view and after watching this afternoon I see why, Robbie savage spends to entire show disagreeing with everyone, they occasionally go to graham poll in a different room which actually looks like he's on chat roulette and Chris Sutton sounds like he needs to speak to the Samaritans.

Yeah it's dreadful.  They used to have Howard Webb on it who actually provided some decent insight.  Pougers is the ultimate pro but Savage and Sutton are just uncontrollable bell ends.  That said there aren't many pundits out there that I think are competent and I doubt they have any real media training before being thrust onto TV.

• Like 1

He's not necessarily the worst but there's something really annoying about Steve McManaman.

Currently watching the Juve - Monaco game, too, and he keeps mentioning how Monaco need to score 5 when they only need 4.

Sky apologizing for Spurs fan swearing in a song is pathetic and doubt any football fan is offended. Even worse Shreeves having a go at Fabregas when he cursed past 10pm the other night

Â