Media and punditry

BOF

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 16:17, VillaChris said:

Don't mind Townsend.

I'm also very much in the minority in that I think Savage is an o.k pundit....

Ones I can't stand are people like Phil Neville who seem to be held in high esteem due to their careers but when you actually listen to them make points on Football...you realise they don't have much of a clue.

Jenas is another who states the bleeding obvious all the time but is heralded as some great pundit as he can string a few sentences together.

I can't agree about Savage I think he's terrible. Sky have some rubbish ones like Smith and Quinn but Gary Neville is different class. So glad he's back after his time at Valencia.,

9 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Do you watch BT's Soccer Saturday thing? He's awful on that. Pretty much every comment he makes involves a dick at Christ Sutton. Beyond tedious.

It's especially harsh as his England career died for our sins...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Do you watch BT's Soccer Saturday thing? He's awful on that. Pretty much every comment he makes involves a dick at Christ Sutton. Beyond tedious.

I saw that in a pub I was in once....is that the show where they have about 20 pundits in the studio? I know they're trying to take on Sky but I think they're getting a bit ahead of themselves.

I only hear Savage on the BBC and 5 Live. I don't honestly think he makes terrible points but he's Welsh, in your face and of course most fans couldn't stand him so I can certainly see why most would dismiss him.

If you think he's bad wait until Joey Barton retires and gets a weekly gig on MOTD....

Yeah they have quite a few people on and it's a bit of a mess with everyone shouting over each other. I don't think Savage is the worst ever, but I think he's awful at getting his point across without sounding like a child not getting his way. 

23 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

in fairness Sutton is a dickhead as well. maybe they should get a spin-off show somewhere that people dont have to watch

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sutton is just a horrible cretin, he actually offers no analysis except to be loud and trying to be controversial

I saw the BT sport final score thing the other week. Full panel of, I believe, Dean Saunders, Paul Ince, Kevin Campbell, Chris Sutton and Robbie Savage (I didn't stay tuned for long).

The presenter asked Savage who he thought would win the league cup final. Savage said something along the lines of "I can see Ibrahimovic getting a goal, so as I think United will score I'll say they'll win."

To which Sutton retorted "well if Man Utd are gonna win, they'll obviously have to score." Completed with a look of smug satisfaction.

Savage's reply was a softly spoken, confused "what?" before the presenter quickly moved on.

It takes a lot for me to sympathise with Robbie Savage, but when Chris Sutton is on the screen too...

• Like 2

"The stakes could not be higher tonight" - commentator on Sky last night at the Huddersfield v Newcastle game. 

Yes they could, it could be a promotion decider or the play off final. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Xela said:

"The stakes could not be higher tonight" - commentator on Sky last night at the Huddersfield v Newcastle game. 

Speaking of over-exaggeration, Jonathan Overend was introducing someone on Five Live earlier, a football correspondent at a north-east newspaper, and said something like 'this guy has the most difficult job in journalism' or similar.

Now I know Mike Ashley is a tit, and Sunderland is nobody's idea of a holiday destination, but it's not exactly being on the ground in Raqqa is it?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xela said:

In fact it's just a game of a **** football, there a lot more higher 'stakes' things out there.

• Like 1

BT have agreed an exclusive deal for the CL and EL from 2018-2021, paying £400 million per season (an increase of £100 million compared to what they pay now).

It also means that there won't be any highlights on terrestrial tv either.

Considering BT regularly only get around 200,000 viewers for their CL coverage that is **** madness.

I quite enjoy Michael Dawson being on "things".  Think he's appeared on Soccer Saturday (when injured) and Football Focus.  Seems honest and insightful and also like a thoroughly decent chap - he'd be good value having a couple of pints with.

2 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

BT have agreed an exclusive deal for the CL and EL from 2018-2021, paying £400 million per season (an increase of £100 million compared to what they pay now).

Considering BT regularly only get around 200,000 viewers for their CL coverage that is **** madness.

25% price increase based on a circa 20% drop in demand? I can't wait for it to burst

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Really poor there's not even going to be highlights on Terrestrial.

The perceived wisdom was due to the really poor viewing figures BT get that UEFA would insist on a bigger share of games on free to air TV.

Obviously not.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Really poor there's not even going to be highlights on Terrestrial.

The perceived wisdom was due to the really poor viewing figures BT get that UEFA would insist on a bigger share of games on free to air TV.

Obviously not.

The thing is, when it comes to TV advertisers typically pay for reach, and with BT you really won't get particularly high reach, so they won't be making massive ad revenue, similar argument can be made for sponsors as well, so clearly subscriptions have to go up. 

This really is just a loss leader for them, they are hoping it will halo onto their core products. It really just emphasises the death of sport as a spectacle in this country. Football, cricket, boxing etc are all on subscription TV and in some cases pay per view on top of subscriptions. The answer of course is to show these companies that it is not on, not pay for them, and stream them for free.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â