"Why didn't they look to League 1 for managers who know the premier league?"

That makes no sense for many reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm pretty sure, regarding Silva's appointment, Thompson said something like

"Why didn't they look to League 1 for managers who know the premier league?"

That makes no sense for many reasons.

But they could have been watching on TV... doh

Everyone knows the PL isn't broadcast overseas....

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Will have a look next time I see him in the White Horse up Whitehouse Common. ;)

I had heard he stilled lived round here. Didn't he have his Four Oaks place repossessed a few years back?

On 09/01/2017 at 19:21, Zatman said:

incredible and pretty much disgraceful attitude again by Sky

http://www.football365.com/news/mediawatch-special-merson-thompson-and-marco-silva

This is irksome really. It's smug, condescending bullshit from a website that regularly churns out its own absolute nonsense. Criticising Merson for his ill informed views is like someone who considers themselves a serious art critic, taking a painting by a six year old and saying "Look! Just look at those horrid brush strokes and vulgar colour combinations". Merson is an idiot. That's why he's there - they employ characters (who happen to be ex footballers), but who are most definitely not expert pundits.

The programme exists purely for entertainment (although I also very much agree with the propaganda point). The chemistry and the personality of the five is important; otherwise watching a bunch of blokes report on games, which you can't even see, would be bloody boring.

They're just similar to an average bunch of supporters chatting shite about football down the pub. I bet everyone, if they were honest, has tried to opine on a player/club/league/manager that they know next to nothing about. Arguably he should know an awful lot for the money he gets paid, but he's there to be the village idiot with OTT ridiculous views. 

And as for the xenophobic thing - the article can't seem to make up its mind whether they are or aren't. It's all a bit weak because Merson and Co have extolled the virtues of foreign managers in the past and not, as suggested, just those foreigners in the "top five" (Examples I can remember seeing being Karanka, Martinez, Rosler and Wagner).

That's not to say it wasn't a silly attitude from Merson - he went down the very easy route of defaulting to a "young British manager" because he doesn't really know anything about a manager who's been working in a country whose football he has no knowledge about. But like I said: he's an idiot employed to act and sound like one. It's not a serious football show with serious, well informed pundits, and neither should it be treated like one.

• Like 1

I though 'grand slam sunday' was bad (when the top 4 miraculously got to play the same weekend) on sky years ago and ended up with 6 hours of wanking over 2 boring games

a few months ago we had 'red Monday' where we were treated to 5 hours of sycophantic bullshit with 90 minutes of dire football in between

tomorrow sky are promoting "Merseyside v Manchester"

• Like 2

did he throw in some sort of comment about costa not speaking the language and living in a foreign place?

you know, portuguese speaking costa who was born in a brazilian town and lived in towns in portugal and spain before living in the worlds bestest city ever built* 

whatever it is its not tianjin, which i can almost guarantee not one of these pundits has even attempted to look up before writing it off, its twice the size of london, half an hour away from beijing which is about 3 times the size of london, it has its own cuisine, its own language, famous for art...can go on but basically its a big place that no ones heard of in a country that no one likes, so why would anyone go there?

*well it was before the BBC moved to salford for billions and declared manchester as the best ever

• Like 4

There are real 'lifestyle negatives' to living in Tianjin, most notably it is one of the most polluted and smoggy cities on the planet, and breathing the air will take years off his life, especially if he's regularly exerting himself in the open without a mask on (a lot of sports teams in NE China are moving into domes for this reason). But the notion that he'll have nothing to do all day in Tianjin, within easy reach of Beijing, and presumably a helicopter or a chauffeur-driven car to take him wherever he wants, is a bit silly. 

Lawro strikes me as the kind of bloke that if he found himself outside of the British Isles would find a local restaurant to eat fish and chips in every night. Or maybe an Irish pub if he wants to take in some of the culture.

• Like 1

These new formations that are being so liberally introduced, mostly by foreign managers, are providing such freedom for certain players that their performances have been transformed.

I couldn't tell if Kyle Walker was playing right-back or right-wing. There was even one occasion when he looked like he was actually playing up front.

There is no doubt that a back three releases the full-backs to go forward - that's if the defender can play with the ball at his feet of course, which is just as well because Walker loves to get involved. Spurs are looking good at the moment, and so is Walker.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38630580

These now fangled formations. 5-2-2-1.

Groundbreaking stuff.

Edited by rodders0223

if he mentioned about how one of defenders being able to step into midfield i would give him credit for saying something casual bbc fans wouldnt think off (which is one of the huge benefits of spurs atm)...but he doesnt so he doesnt have a clue how the system works

Edited by gharperr

Â