Media and punditry

BOF

As there's been talk about pundits and media in the Spurs thread, it would probably be a good idea to create own thread for the topic.

So, is there any program which has decent pundits? I was watching "Football Today" yesterday night, it had three ex-players as pundits and two of them had put Aston Villa as teams which will be relegated.

One of the pundits said that he can't see where Villa will get the goals as they had few goals scored, got me thinking that he probably didn't even see us play last season and now against Newcastle.

Off the top of my head

Good pundits

Clarence Seedorf

Gary Neville

Andy Gray (yes, sorry about that)

Graeme Souness when he's on RTÉ, although he's not bad on Sky either

Dietmar Hamann

Richie Sadlier although you won't have seen him outside Ireland

Martin Keown

For entertainment purposes (as opposed to insightfulness)

Paul Merson

Phil Thompson

Eamonn Dunphy

That lot always make me larf

Just plain shite

Garth Crooks

Jamie Redknapp

Mark Lawrenson

Alan Shearer

I can't make my mind up on Alan Hansen. I can't decide whether he's still decent or whether he's just a dinosaur. He doesn't annoy me but he doesn't wow me either. So I'll sit on the fence.

Savage is the biggest word removed of the lot. **** word removed.

Surprisingly, I find Martin Keown to be a thoughtful, knowledgeable and quite fair pundit. Ditto for Gary Neville.

Pretty much all of the motd lot are words removed though.

Can I just state that Trevor Francis is a complete and utter cockend and why does someone always pay the twunt to commentate on our games?

Was about to post the same thing. Every time we play and there are english commentators it's always Trevor f**king Francis. And everything we do is either shite or lucky, and everything the other team does is great. :evil:

He's not a bad pundit
Well yeah, he's a good pundit :) You just don't like his 'howya'* accent :P

* Goes with the territory of being associated to St. Pats.

Ah yes, Keown. I quite like him as a pundit, he seems pretty fair and well considered in his approach, though a little boring.

Lawrenson makes watching football depressing, and I'll never forget the quote, "Mick Mccarthy could make Shakespeare sound like a list of building materials". Though I actually quite like him as an individual.

That brings us on to the other problem. If you just don't like someone, you will never give them any credit whatsoever. I am no fan of Keane as a pundit, but he does regularly say positive things about players. A lot of people just concentrate on the bits of his punditry that confirm their hatred of the man. Which is fine, but it's not exactly a balanced opinion :)

That brings us on to the other problem. If you just don't like someone, you will never give them any credit whatsoever. I am no fan of Keane as a pundit, but he does regularly say positive things about players. A lot of people just concentrate on the bits of his punditry that confirm their hatred of the man. Which is fine, but it's not exactly a balanced opinion :)

I actually liked him before he started his punditry.

When he was sat next to Carragher during the Euro's i was shocked there wasnt some sort of scuffle!

What do you think of Garth Crooks

I think he's a bit of a crook for stealing the career he's made for himself to date

I have to laugh everytime i see his team of the week which includes about 7 Arsenal players

Not biased in the slightest

Not sure that's true.

If someone genuinely shows that they're a good pundit then people will take to them.

Just look at Neville.

Anyway, in regards to the OP. There are very few good pundits on TV.

James Richardson is finally back on TV so I'd list him as a good one (although he's more of a presenter than a pundit)

I think Neville is th ebest pundit out there.

Others like Hansen, Seedorf, Souness, Wilkins, Dixon aren't bad.

People like Savage, Shearer, Lawro etc are terrible.

To be fair, as a PUNDIT, Lawro isn't actually that bad, I don't think. But as a co-commentator he is the worst sports-media employee on television. Bar none.

As I said in the other thread, these ex pros have a place on a pundit panel. But they should be PARt of a panel rather than THE panel. A pundit with actual knowledge of tactics, setups etc who can properly analyse a game would be a perfect pundit (Michael Cox, Jon Wilson etc etc) and then you could have an ex pro to give his input as a player.

So in a simplified scenario, your tactics guy would say something like "Newcastle needed to press more towards the end of the game to nullify Man City's attack" and your player would respond with "You're right, but in the 80th minute it's hard for a player to have the energy left to do that pressing." He's been there and done it so his input is completely valid.

Assuming an ex-pro has detailed knowledge of the game is a huge leap, and very often it's rubbish.

Â