Media and punditry

BOF

3 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Is it just me or is there a bit of a media silence on the Grealish incident? I know it got heavy focus on MOTD and some other TV shows, but online, the usual places I go to like The Guardian, Football 365, BBC Sport have no real mention of it at all, other than a side note at the end of a match report.

In the Guardians 'Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend’s action' our matches talking point is some meeting Hodgson had with the board after the game?! Is that really the biggest talking point? Sure there wasn't something else that happened that might generate discussion?

If the incident happened in a game involving the top 6 teams we'd be hearing/reading about it for weeks, especially because of the international break, but such a controversial decision which is raging along on Twitter with every man and his dog having a say is supposedly not news worthy? ... just seems odd.

I'm afraid it'll be that way for a while while us losing is the norm. No one really cares.

If that was a Liverpool goal getting them a point at Burnley, firstly they'd have given it, secondly if it was disallowed it would be getting brought up every day until the PL kicks off again in 2 weeks.

46 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If that was a Liverpool goal getting them a point at Burnley, firstly they'd have given it, secondly if it was disallowed it would be getting brought up every day until the PL kicks off again in 2 weeks.

there would never ever be a 'secondly'.

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Tim Sherwood. Calamitous manager. Great pundit. Love his support for younger players. He should have never had delusions of grandeur and left youth coaching.

yeah fair play to him, a lot of pundits can bluff that they saw these players but genuinely believe he watches them. As said he champions young players a lot, pity for England his coaching is shit

I was definitely thinking no but ive now seen they are covering the NFL too

waiting for feedback from some people on here to see if its worth it (and by feedback I mean if people were linking and copying the good bits of their articles meaning I didn't need to subscribe...) but its gone a bit quiet

Edited by villa4europe

16 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I’ve just signed up for the free trial with The Athletic to see whether it’s worth the subscription. 

Gregg Evans has had some nice interviews on there, but for £60 a year I can’t see myself taking up the subscription. 

Anybody else signed up?

Yeah. I read quite a lot and have found it to be excellent, it's nice to actually value writing again. The Villa stuff is a bit thin so I wouldn't sign up if that's all you want but you really need to view it as a package.  The Stephen Ireland bit the other day was great.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Yeah. I read quite a lot and have found it to be excellent, it's nice to actually value writing again. The Villa stuff is a bit thin so I wouldn't sign up if that's all you want but you really need to view it as a package.  The Stephen Ireland bit the other day was great.  

I do enjoy reading any interesting football articles in all honesty. Always enjoy a deeper insight. I’ll have a look around the articles this week and decide then. 

To be fair to The Athletic they have recruited a lot of well known writers. 

Gary Neville being very honest and stating that pundits need to stop viewing matches from the perspective of how football was played twenty years ago and accept that the modern game is not the same. He was explaining how Norwich did not play how he and his teammates would have done, and yet they still beat the reigning champions, and I think it made him reassess a lot of his assumptions.

Good thing Liverpool is the best, nicest and most respected club in existence with the nicest fans and loveliest players and owners because otherwise this might have been made a bigger issue.

Liverpool paid Manchester City £1m ‘spy’ settlement

Liverpool paid a £1 million settlement to Manchester City after their Premier League rivals made a complaint that their scouting system had been hacked into.

The confidential settlement took place in September 2013 after it was reported that City had employed computer-espionage experts to see if the system had been spied on.

The scandal would appear to be the biggest incident of alleged misbehaviour by one top-flight club to another in the Premier League’s history.

The settlement came a year after three former City scouts moved to Liverpool. Two of them, as well as Michael Edwards who is now Liverpool’s sporting director, were alleged by City to have been involved in accessing their database on the Scout7 system on hundreds of occasions.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/liverpool-paid-manchester-city-1m-spy-settlement-mxkns7mb6

It's behind a paywall...

Remember when Bielsa was the worst person ever because he sent a guy with binoculars.

• Like 1

Â