Media and punditry

BOF

30 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yep BBC do seem to dislike us. Today their Facebook page read... Bad Boy Grealish set for return... Don't see shit like that about sterling who has also had misdemeanours 

sure they are in love with Jamie Vardy and he did a lot worse, bet Adam Johnson doesnt get called such stuff by BBC

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

sure they are in love with Jamie Vardy and he did a lot worse, bet Adam Johnson doesnt get called such stuff by BBC

I bet he doesn't, given the rules about prejudicial reporting before a case has been heard in court. 

• Like 2

Not really sure where to put this, but as the Ramble been discussed in this thread before I'll go for here.

On last week's, Pete was going on about how Newcastle always play well when their game is on TV.
I didn't think much of it, but then they went and beat liverpool. On TV.

So this week he's adamant that it plays a factor for Newcastle, and that all the players care about is putting themselves in the shop window, so they play better when their games are "on TV".

Do you think that's really a factor?
I'm dubious as games are pretty much always on TV these days. Every premier league game is watched by millions and millions, even if it's not on Sky.

Putting themselves in the shop window? To who? Casual football fans who don't support either team but want to watch a game?

Or does this Pete fella follow the Timmy Sherwood theory on scouting?

Maybe foreign scouts do watch a game and then decide to scout the player further, who knows. I'm not convinced.

Well exactly, that's why I was dubious myself.

Just seemed funny that he was adamant Newcastle always play better on TV last week, and then they go and beat liverpool, on TV, when they've been dreadful all season.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Not really sure where to put this, but as the Ramble been discussed in this thread before I'll go for here.

On last week's, Pete was going on about how Newcastle always play well when their game is on TV.
I didn't think much of it, but then they went and beat liverpool. On TV.

So this week he's adamant that it plays a factor for Newcastle, and that all the players care about is putting themselves in the shop window, so they play better when their games are "on TV".

Do you think that's really a factor?
I'm dubious as games are pretty much always on TV these days. Every premier league game is watched by millions and millions, even if it's not on Sky.

or maybe their players just dont like playing at 3pm on a saturday ;) 

This season:

Newcastle Sat 3PM

SWA 2-0 NEW

NEW 1-2 WAT

MCI 6-1 NEW

NEW 0-0 STO

NEW 0-3 LEI

CPL 5-1 NEW

PPG: 0.17

Newcatle non-Sat 3PM

NEW 2-2 SOU

MNU 0-0 NEW

NEW 0-1 ARS

WHU 2-0 NEW

NEW 2-2 CHE

NEW 6-2 NOR

SUN 3-0 NEW

BOU 0-1 NEW

NEW 2-0 LIV

PPG: 1.33

The trend he has observed is certainly true of this season at least. My problem with it is the theory behind it - whether a game is 'televised' or not for consumers has no effect on whether scouts can see it, especially scouts based abroad, which is where most of the players wanting to move are surely hoping to go to (Sissoko surely wants to go to France, Cisse to the Middle East or China, neither can imagine they're going to get a better move to an English club). Games at 3PM on a Saturday are widely televised outside the UK. But they do seem to perform better when not playing at 3PM Sat, I can't argue with that. 

every game is on TV but I imagine games that are on Sky have a different atmosphere/feeling to them. I would imagine a 4pm game vs Stoke would have a lot more media and hype than a 3pm game vs Stoke that is broadcast somewhere else

the strange thing being that i personally think VP is flat as a pancake when we've got some shit game on tv (i know its not brilliant anyway) can remember over the last couple of years definitely playing norwich at 4pm on a sunday (the benteke overhead kick game) and im sure stoke and really not wanting to be there, man utd game at 5.30pm on a ridiculously cold saturday evening too

i personally am demotivated by a tv game rather than being up for it

42 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the strange thing being that i personally think VP is flat as a pancake when we've got some shit game on tv (i know its not brilliant anyway) can remember over the last couple of years definitely playing norwich at 4pm on a sunday (the benteke overhead kick game) and im sure stoke and really not wanting to be there, man utd game at 5.30pm on a ridiculously cold saturday evening too

i personally am demotivated by a tv game rather than being up for it

IIRC that was the last time we properly thumped someone at home. It's been way too long.

Â