Squad depth?

quizme

Agreed. It's not so much squad depth as genuine competition for places. No-one's position in the starting lineup is guaranteed any more.

Isn´t that the same?

Not really. Squad depth is more how you cover injuries, suspensions, loss of form, rotation etc. I see competition as creating a situation where there are multiple viable options for each position in the first team.

What worries me about squad depth is the game changer coming off the bench. When things aren't going to plan who comes on to have a major influence on the game? Who comes on to get the crowd buzzing? Who energises the team with his appearance on the pitch? Maybe one of the new lads can fill that role.

What worries me about squad depth is the game changer coming off the bench. When things aren't going to plan who comes on to have a major influence on the game? Who comes on to get the crowd buzzing? Who energises the team with his appearance on the pitch? Maybe one of the new lads can fill that role.

I imagine we all have that slight worry, but that's mainly because we haven't seen any of our current players as 'game-changers' recently.

However, I have a feeling that Lambert will renew this belief in our players that we used to have.

Ireland, Gabby, Bannan & Albrighton could all come off the bench, under Lambert, and give Me hope that we could nick a goal.

Alternatively; if we are in a winning position, I would be happy to bring on Holman or Herd to add some energy to cement a win (or even Benteke, to help defend from an onslaught of set pieces!)

Agreed. It's not so much squad depth as genuine competition for places. No-one's position in the starting lineup is guaranteed any more.

Isn´t that the same?

I'd have said so, no point having a 50 man squad if 38 of them are never going to get a sniff at playing in the team.

someone should have said that to MON

I imagine we all have that slight worry, but that's mainly because we haven't seen any of our current players as 'game-changers' recently.

However, I have a feeling that Lambert will renew this belief in our players that we used to have.

Ireland, Gabby, Bannan & Albrighton could all come off the bench, under Lambert, and give Me hope that we could nick a goal.

Alternatively; if we are in a winning position, I would be happy to bring on Holman or Herd to add some energy to cement a win (or even Benteke, to help defend from an onslaught of set pieces!)

Gabby came of the bench on Sunday and caused a bit of a stir, he's clearly still got his pace

Judging by the high-tempo style and the amount of closing down of opponents I reckon we're going to see a lot of rotation. It's a long season and some players are going to need a rest. Can Holman keep running around like a man possessed until May? Good to see that we have more depth...not sure about the quality, however.

Gabby came of the bench on Sunday and caused a bit of a stir, he's clearly still got his pace

I agree with everything you've all said here. There is a worry we've no game-changers because we haven't seen any of them be that yet.

But hopefully Lambert will renew our belief and their confidence (Plus he may have bought game-changers, we're not sure yet) and we will see players stepping up.

Like Bickster says, Gabby looked very handy when he came on, no he didn't actually change the game, but it's all part of the learning curve and improvement that will hopefully eventually pay off.

And I think it will be different players changing the game at different time, not just one standing out, the right player in the right instance.

All of the players in our squad are capable fo changing a game, even the likes of Weiman we've seen come on as a sub and nick a goal through sheer determination. We're just not used to seeing it.

Are Gabby, Bent and Benteke all going to be starting every week? There's at least 1 decent option on the bench.

Marc Albrighton although lacking in consistency can certainly beat a man and stick in a decent ball.

N'Zog and Ireland might spend more time on the bench now, if not Bannan and Holman are capable of doing something.

Yes we're not City but there is plenty of quality in this squad provided the manager can get everybody pulling in the same direction.

All of the players in our squad are capable fo changing a game, even the likes of Weiman we've seen come on as a sub and nick a goal through sheer determination. We're just not used to seeing it.

Are Gabby, Bent and Benteke all going to be starting every week? There's at least 1 decent option on the bench.

Marc Albrighton although lacking in consistency can certainly beat a man and stick in a decent ball.

N'Zog and Ireland might spend more time on the bench now, if not Bannan and Holman are capable of doing something.

Yes we're not City but there is plenty of quality in this squad provided the manager can get everybody pulling in the same direction.

Yep, you're right, there's definitely a sense of competitiveness in the squad now.

Liking our squad at the moment, and it will only get better with Lambert at the helm. With warnock and hutton leaving as soon as possible, and Dunne and most likely given leaving at the end of the season, there will be 200k a week spare on wages!!!

The other high earners, gabby Bent Ireland and nzogbia know they need to perform Or they will be out too!

Let's not forget we have a new chief head scout who will hopefully bring us some match winners!

Th future is bright!

i dont think were ready to let dunne go, i think we need him for at least 2 more seasons, if vlaar gets injured, weve only got clarke and baker as back up, which considering were in the prem league and not dr martins league, it doesnt fill me with much confidence, and i bet guzan is praying the same as well

we still need another experianced/ish centre back for cover, or even to partner vlaar as dunne as back up (robert huth would be nice)

Â