The Jazz Thread

maqroll

35hl27d.jpg

Been coming back to this a bit over the last 12 months or so, Tino Contreras is a great drummer.

Very retro, it goes a bit Exotica/Esquivel in places too.

Edited by Xann

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, shit, I hadn't heard the news. Pop culture media is too consumed with Rihanna and Beyonce to ever make a moment for Mr. Byrd.

Some of you might remember the movie this track was in...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm a bit snobby about British jazz. 

You're not alone. The first European band to make the cover of 'Downbeat' was the Esbjorn Svensson Trio in 2006.

Stan was resident at Ronnie Scott's through most of the 60s. He accompanied some of the best acts the US had to offer and was held in high regard.

The individuals who went to the US seem to get a free pass - George Shearing, John McLaughlin, etc. 

But the fully home-grown stuff (Dankworth, Tracey, Ronnie Scott, Tubby Hayes, etc.), hmmm, dunno really. 

Not totally convinced by all that Euro ECM stuff - Garbarek, et al - either. 

But the fully home-grown stuff (Dankworth, Tracey, Ronnie Scott, Tubby Hayes, etc.), hmmm, dunno really. 

Not totally convinced by all that Euro ECM stuff - Garbarek, et al - either. 

Tubby Hayes got absolutely mauled by the critics at the time. Respect has grown in retrospect.

Bits and bobs have surfaced over the last few years.

More a follower than a leader, he's a good player nonetheless. 

ECM's clinical production doesn't suit quite a lot of their roster for me, plus much of the catalogue falls in the Dark Age (74-88ish).

Saying that, when it works it can be spectacular - Chick Corea's 'Return To Forever' and Lubimov's recent Debussy are amazing.

There's other bits that are pleasant enough.

I can't decide about Jarrett's Cologne Concert. 

It gets held up as some radical piece, but there are whole chunks of it that are just a Bernie Taupin lyric away from you-know-who. 

"Return to Forever" - what a seminal band ! Launched the careers of, not only Chick Corea  but Al di Meola who released some great stuff in his own right (I have a cassette of his still !) drummer Lenny White who incidentally made a great version of The Beatles 'Lady Madonna' (back to them again) and of course Stanley Clarke, one of the best bass players ever. Any bass player might know of Kramer guitars which Stanley Clarke popularised in the same way that Billy Cobham promoted Fibes drums in that both brands were virtually unknown before.

I do feel that, like Weather Report, some of their stuff takes a bit of listening to; so if you want a more 'instant' hit try anything by George Duke.  

I feel that much of that seventies jazz rock (mostly by Miles alumni - Return to Forever, Weather Report. Mahavishnu Orchestra, etc.) has aged quite badly. 

Whereas the hard bop of the late fifties still works for me. 

^^^^^

Do you mean like Dizzy Gillespie ?

Yup - he bridged the gap from bebop (with Charlie Parker) to hard bop. But also Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, John Coltrane, Thelonius Monk, Sonny Rollins, Clifford Brown, Horace Silver, Art Blakey, etc., etc. 

Â