• Ireland
    • El Ahmadi
    • Bannan
    • Bent
    • Holman
    • Weimann
    • Agbonlahor (for Weimann 63)
    • N'Zogbia (for El Ahmadi 72)

I LOVED the fact that when we scored we didn't simply sit back and try and defend the lead for the next 70 minutes. And I LOVED the fact that even when we were under the pump in the second half we kept attacking and by rights should have had the winning goal. I also LOVED the fact that when El Ahmadi came off injured he was replaced with an attacking (albeit largely useless) player in N'Zogbia, when he could have broght on Herd or pushed Clark into midfield and brought on Baker.

We started off at West Ham like a bunch of strangers, but on yesterday's evidence you can see a bit of recognition creeping in - little partnerships developing between players and they are all starting to recognise each other's strengths and weaknesses. The last 15 minutes against Everton and now this effort at Newcastle give a glimpse of the Vision that Lambert has for us.

The fact that Lambert dropped Given for Guzan will be a kick up the bum to the established players and you can see in Bent's workrate today that even he is starting to question his status as an automatic choice.

Guzan was an absolute beast today and I reckon he is twice the keeper he was 4 years ago getting bullied around by Blackburn in the league cup. He's just such a great influence on the team too - he really enjoys his football and he communicates well with his defenders. He must have been the only person in the stadium too that didn't think Cabaye's free kick was going in.

Having only just watched the match now (had a bloody 3 hour power outage last night), having read comments on here about how poor Holman's work with the ball was, I must admit I couldn't really see too much wrong with it. Yes he loses possession sometimes and yes he should have done better to try and stop ben Arfa's goal, but I also counted at least three clear scoring opportunities created directly from Holman's boot, as well as a gorgeous through ball to Ireland in the box in the first half which he could have run on and shot from but for some reason decided to hold up and play across the box to Bent. As the Aussie contingent have been saying since he signed, this is the joy & frustration of watching Holman, but yesterday I thought technically he was very sound and quite creative.

For what it's worth I selected Clark as MOTM - he dealt with the NCU strikers very solidly, got on the end of everything and took his goal beautifully. But as many have said, it was hard to single out just one - they all played really well.

An encouraging performance which was a big relief after the first two games. There's a long way to go, we didn't win despite having the better chances, and we've only 1 point after 3 games. But finally there were passages of decent football, the first time we got to see what Lambert's Villa might start to look like (in a positive sense).

Really encouraging game.

IN a way I don't even care about the result. I care that we looked good. And I think we deserved to win, or at least of the two teams we were the most deserving (I guess it could be argued a draw was fair)

The energy and pressuring of Newcastle, especially their midfield, was excellent. Holman especially. I don't think Holman is a wide midfielder, attacking I'm not so sure about him. But he worked his arse off yesterday and can't fault him for that at all. THink he could have done better to stop Ben Arfa's shot but I'll let him off given the rest of his performance.

Other selected good performances,

Vlaar looks excellent defensively. Really calm on the ball and a beast in the air. His distribution coming forward leaves a bit to be desired but that would just be a bonus.

Guzan didn't put a foot wrong. Thought he got slightly lucky with Cisse's shot, but he had to get there in the first place so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ireland was refreshingly good as well. I said after the Everton game that our biggest problem was we had no-one ever linking our midfield with our attack. Ireland provided that link today and it worked wonders. Although he should be hitting the target at least with that volley he had late on. Given the time he had it wasn't a difficult chance to take.

Thought Weimann and Bent worked well together. I think it's a nail in the coffin for Delfouneso. He's out on loan anyway and he just doesn't work here.

We play like that every week and we have nothing to owrry about this season. we'll beat half the teams in the league with performances like that.

Interesting to hear Dion talking about Holman, "He was absolutely fantastic today" on MOTD tonight.

I agree with this. Whilst his end product was lacking, his work rate was so high that he more than made up for it. He was always closing down as soon as he lost the ball and forced their players into countless mistakes and misplaced passes. Not only that, but I think he set the example to the players around him and raised their efforts too. Top contribution from Holman, more valuable to the team than any defence splitting pass.

More of the same please Brett!

Good performance, no a great performance given that we are only just at the start of Paul Lamberts managership.

This is a benchmark he and his coaches can use with the players in training and if this is the begining I'm really looking forward to seeing how this season pans out.

I gave Ireland MOTM but it was close all-round as they all played their part.

Very encouraging game, that one. Finally we started to click in all areas of the pitch. And it's only the 3rd game with all those new players. And more players still to come. Every player worked hard for each other. Some lacked technically and lost the ball, but every player did his to get the ball back. Lichaj were weak going forward, with his weaker foot I have to add, but gave next to nothing away defensively.

I can see that Holman is a player that fans will have different opinions on. He has a great working engine, but sometimes lack the skills with the ball. But he closes down when defending, and open up spaces with his running when we attack. I guess all the australians were right about him. :) Me, I thought he wasn't really in the game in the first half, but got a lot better in the 2nd. Shoud've tried to close Ben Arfa down a bit more at the goal, though. But a wonder goal it is.

Guzan needs a mention too. What a solid game. He gave the defence a much easier game than it could've been. Something Given never did, even though I like Given. And two good saves. Good positioning, good saves and commanded the penalty area. Very good, Brad.

Last season there were many games that I found it hard to pick a motm because they were all so poor. This time I find it hard because there were so many who deserved it. IMO it could be anyone from Clark, Vlaar, Guzan, Ireland and KEA. But it goes to Guzan in the end. It's easier to look great when you have to make save after save than it is to make it looking easy not having to make save after save. If that makes sense.

Hope we can continue like this. Last season gave some scars that will take some time to heal from, like thinking that we're on our way up now. Remember the last home game against Swansea and how it looked before that?

Very proud of the team yesterday. Great effort, which has been lacking for quite some time.

Guzman my MOTM, thought his command of his box and distribution really set the tone at the back. You could see how it gave the back four confidence and that spread thru the team from there.

Kudos to Lowton as well. In earlier games I had not seen why PL selected him so consistently and at the expense of Lichaj, who had a good run at the end of last year. Lowton showed why he deserves the RB spot.

Onwards and upwards from here. We will certainly struggle at times, but I'm reasonably confident about our ability to compete. Give Bennett a shot at LB, Westwood a chance in midfield and lets see how Benteke can fit in up top.

Guzan 8

Lowton 7

Vlaar 7

Clark 7

Lichaj 6

kEA 7

Holman 7

Bannan 6

Ireland 7

Bent 6

Weimann 6

Watched a rerun late last night, i am very pleased and the team played very well. We were agressive all over the pitch, even Ireland :)

Guzan had an amazing game and i think Gabby proved why he put fear in the opponents some years ago and looked to be more friend with the ball...

Looking forward to this season now :)

Ahmadi was great, bannan looked comfortable on the ball, Vlaar and Lowton finding their place, impressed by Lowton looked like he had played in the PL for a long time. At times we lost the ball quite easy but its still early, PL is really changing our style and i love it... Thought Bent was misused a bit like a target man sometimes but thats more because a lack of option, he looked more dangerous together with Gabby when he got to position himself more for the finishing. But Bent is getting there too, i think we are forgetting he has been injured for a while as well.

I`m thinkin we suddenly are having options up front and can change it up a bit, maybe Bent and Benteke as strikers with Gabby and Ireland behind them and Ahmadi, Westwood/Bannan in more holding positions...

I had such a good day yesterday, first time I have left a game feeling so positive in a very long time.

Voted Bannan MOTM, have been one of his harshest critics and don't rate him enough to give him a starting spot but thought he was really good yesterday and a great cross for the goal.

El Ahmadi was great yet again, looks like the player we have been missing.

Thought Lowton looked like he'd been playing in the PL for years.

Vlaar and Clark look like a decent partnership in the centre and I was advocating Baker over Clark before the game. Ooh-ah Ron Vlaar!

Ireland was class. Holman is a very tenacious player, I bet opposition players don't like facing him.

Weimann and Bent is a good partnership I think, it will be harsh on Weimann if he loses his place for Benteke or Gabby. Bent still looks rusty in front of goal but at least he worked harder yesterday and wasn't caught offside either.

Gabby looked very good when he came on, I would keep him as an impact sub to terrorise defences but it is a question of whether the player will be happy with that or not I guess.

Guzan was the correct decision to start and he paid Lambert's courage to pick him back in spades. Hope he keeps his place.

The only reason we didn't win was a moment of brilliance from Ben Arfa and if we can take a similar performance into the next few matches we should pick up 7 points from our next 9.

Love the chant 'we're Aston Villa, we're passing the ball' too!

Someone in another thread said 1000. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I saw very few Villa fans on the trains going and coming back. When the match started though where I sat was full, and having looked around a bit it looked full all around...but then, it is quite hard to tell the size of the crowd and where the edge of it is, in regard to the home support, when youre sat amongst them.

Hey I can see me on that picture :D Firstly, it's pretty safe to say this was taken before the game or at half time or something. OK, that block on the left is empty, but apart from that all the empty seats you see were taken, I'm pretty sure. Where I am on there for example (look at the right most stairway, right hand side, 2 rows from back, away shirt) there are empty seats behind and to the side. All of these were taken during the match, as were the ones in front in that block.

Also, it's worth bearing in mind that there are a good number of seats on the right hand side that are out of shot. These were all taken too as far as I could tell.

Â