• El Ahmadi
    • Bannan
    • Bent
    • Holman
    • Weimann
    • Agbonlahor (for Weimann 63)
    • N'Zogbia (for El Ahmadi 72)

I'm so pleased this evening.

Theres quite a bit to go yet and i was expecting a defeat and i would still say Lambert is the man.

The most pleasing thing for me, is the amount of improved individual performances PL is cleary effecting things.

That was a very difficult place to go with the form they finished last season. In terms of a building block that was a massive confidence booster.

I didn't watch the game just listened to it but Jack woodward/ Ken McNaught gave a great commentary.

There is so much more improvement to come from this side....I sense an exciting ride.

With young players there are certainly some poor days and some good days, it just needs a good manager to pull them through the bad days and keep their confidence up and Lambert seems to be just a manager for that which is very refreshing after having three managers who apparently couldn't manage young players to save their lives.

we turned a corner today,good game of football all round, i thought we should have won,Guzan was a rock at the back today,left back has got to be and hopefully is sorted,even zog showed a glimpse of what he can do,also a glimpse of what he does do,but overall im happy.

Fantastic team performance today with a little less of bad luck we could have got all 3pts. All improved and played with confidence which has been lacking for sometime now, and just hope they will continue to push on despit not getting max pts. Special mention to Vlaar which I was sceptical about before we signed him, did not put a foot wrong and was great when call upon, Guzan has to continue as out number 1 now and its great to see a keeper who can come out for crosses. and Ireland, with a lil more confidence he will be something for us.

and pls get someone else to take corners instead of Bannon

What progress we've made. The controversial decision to drop Given (well, controversial to some) was justified by Guzan commanding his area, marshalling the defence, and making a lot of saves and coming out for crosses. I'd leave him in the team now.

Outfield, we passed, we created chances, we even had shots on goal. If Ireland and Bent had brought their shooting boots we'd have won it. I'm behind what PL is trying to achieve here, screw what pundits and opposition fans say about our transfer deadline day signings, it's clear that the positivity and belief is coming back to Villa.

Great game today, plenty of emotions, that we would have won if it wasn't for an unstoppable shot by Ben Arfa that could be the goal of the season.

I enjoyed myself in this game more than in the whole last season.

We played football the way it has to be play, with the defenders that contributed to build from the bach, and the midfielders that worked hard in the middle. The only weakness has been a certain lack of consistency by the strikers.

With the 4-3-1-2 formation we renounce to the wingers in favour of an attacking midfielder in the hole, but if Ireland doesn't find the form the he has lost since 2009 I wouldn't be surpised if we passed to the 4-4-2 with Albrighton and Holman on the wings.

Back from Newcastle and thoroughly chuffed at finally seeing a good performance again in the Premier League, it has been far too long.

The number one shirt is now Guzan's to lose after a fine performance between the sticks, including two very good saves and some great handling in the area. Not quite sure why he has clocked up so many MOTM votes however, as that would suggest we were under pressure for large parts of the game when, in actual fact, that wasn't the case. He didn't actually have an awful lot to do.

MOTM for me was definitely Ireland who easily had his best game in a Villa shirt. He completely bossed the game and, along with his midfield counterparts, put together a string of fine passing movements which had Newcastle chasing shadows and us singing: "We're Aston Villa, we're passing the ball". Ireland was even getting stuck in and winning possession for us and a goal (which he should have got) will see his confidence rocket.

The difference today, compared to the previous two games, is that we passed AND moved. Whereas against West Ham and Everton we were still trying to play the airy fairy passing game we were playing under Houllier, with zero movement.

Special mention also to two other players who have, for some reason, been criticised on this thread: Bent and Holman. Darren looked far livelier today, and more involved in the game, and that ultimately will lead to more goals. Far too many times Bent is anonymous throughout the match but today his hunger was back which was pleasing to see and the goals will come. Holman was superb and linked up really well with the rest of the midfield - also running his socks off for the Claret & Blue which is exactly what we need.

I hope Wiemann doesn't get cast aside now that Benteke has signed as I rate him and think he deserves a run in the side. Gabby coming back is also a massive plus.

The opening two games we were appallingly bad but, as they just said on MOTD, the green shoots of recovery were there for all to see.

Disappointing to see such a small away following especially at £25 a ticket but those who went were a credit to the Club. Our gallows humour was on fine form with my two favourites being: "Geordie Shore, Geordie Shore, Geordie Shore is fu*king shit..." and "Let's all have a spray tan, let's all have a spray tan la la la la..."

UTV! Onwards and upwards!

Deserved to win. I wasnt angry we didnt though, as we performed so much better than I thought we would, in all honesty. I expected a turn around in our game at some point, but maybe not for another month or so. Very pleased with that for the first point of the season.

God damn that is a long way up though. I've never sat in the away end before, but was in row W today - 2 back from the very top. Jeeeeeez. Not only is it so high up, but steep too.

Thought it was a fantastic performance, they had to produce something top notch to only draw level with us. They weren't poor, despite what Pardew is trying to make out by being condescending in his post-match interviews, we were just better.

Great to see things improving and with the added firepower to come, we'll produce performances like that with a couple more goals added to them.

Guzan looked terrific in goal, two very good saves and seemed to be confident. I like the way he distributes the ball after collecting it well.

Lowton once again improved, he looked more like the full-back Lambert seems to want. Vlaar was a calming influence at the back, looked in control and solid.

Clark took his goal well and played well, with no inclination of his sending off last week affecting him. Lichaj played out of position because of Bennett's' injury but he played really well and put in some great challenges.

El Ahmadi once again bossed midfield, hopefully his knock wasn't too bad. Bannan produced some more great linking passes and a great cross for the goal. Looked more positive too.

Ireland played well, was busy but, for me still needs someone else in front of him who is more dynamic, it could be Bentekke. I wish he'd shoot with more power :) He should have got that last shot on target too :lol: Holman played brilliantly, extremely key to the team's' good performance, hustling and threatening to the opposition.

Weimann played well, could do with being more dynamic but he seems to be learning and improving each match. Bent could've done with hitting a few chances first time today and being selfish when he was selfless and selfless when he was selfish :) But his movement was great today and the ball was getting through to him on a regular basis. Great to see.

Gabby looked explosive when he came on, hope he keeps that up. N'Zogbia still looked a bit aimless but that's probably the best he's played.

On a side note. I loved the big bald bloke in the away shirt paraphrasing Billy Bragg's' 'To have and have not' at the top of his voice, on his own, in the form of a chant directed at the Newcastle fans and anyone else who'd listen.

Just because you're better than us, doesn't mean we're lazy. Just because you're going forwards, doesn't mean we're going backwards

If you're reading this I will buy you a pint if I ever meet you again.

The energy in midfield really put Newcastle on the back foot. Pressurising further up the pitch is not something we are used to seeing from Villa and it really unsettled the Newcastle midfield.

Special mention to Guzan.

Somebody asked why he got so many MOTM votes seeing as he didn't have a lot to do but what he did do was make every ball into the box his. He came for through balls. He came for corners. he even wiped out Lichaj in order to claim the ball. That kind of command from your GK gives the defense great confidence and it showed in how they contained Ba and Cisse.

Also a special mention for Holman. You are starting to see why he delights and frustrates in the same game. His pressure and energy in midfield really got us going forward....

... but his passing and silly fouls got us backpedalling.

Special mention to Guzan.

Somebody asked why he got so many MOTM votes seeing as he didn't have a lot to do but what he did do was make every ball into the box his. He came for through balls. He came for corners. he even wiped out Lichaj in order to claim the ball. That kind of command from your GK gives the defense great confidence and it showed in how they contained Ba and Cisse.

I think you'll find I said as much in my post. My point still stands about being puzzled by the number of MOTM votes for him though considering it was us who was on the front foot more often than not, and Guzan didn't have an awful lot to do. He did the basics (handling) very well and pulled off two very good saves.

Â