Why so difficult to get rid of players

DeepDish

I sometimes wonder if we are creative enough with these players. If Warnock is on £40k, say, is it not better to have someone paying £10k-£15k of that £40k rather than having him train with our kids and we pay it all for zero benefit and some disruption. Ditto Hutton, although as his contract is longer it might make sense not to let him out so easily.
I agree with this very much. It's disappointing that Lambert has taken the same failed approach as Houllier did (consigning unwanted players to the reserves squad but not doing anything to shift them).

Eh?

If it had been possible to offload those players I'm pretty 100% sure that they'd be gone.

Can't see it being the fault of the club or the manager.

It's a "failed" approach because banning them from the first team while paying them first team salaries is a total waste of money.

But they're obviously seen as being disruptive to the squad and/or have been offered ways out of the club choosing to turn them down to earn more at Villa safe in the knowledge that they're not wanted.

Theyve been included in the 25 man squad its not as though they've been frozen out of all future possibility.

I cannot see how youre bearing a grudge on this against the manager, it doesnt make any sense?!?

It's a "failed" approach because banning them from the first team while paying them first team salaries is a total waste of money.
They're a waste of money anyway. Better them not playing for us and **** up all the time (and thus benefiting the opposition).

I'm not sure I follow the argument here.

While it's clear Warnock and Hutton are not in Lambert's plans, neither player has found another club, either full time or on loan.

We don't know why that is the case, though there are some clues:

- They are on large wages that another club is unlikely to match. They won't want to move for less.

- They are not great quality, so other clubs are unlikely to come knocking on our door.

- They can be troublesome (at least we know that with Warnock already), so other clubs are unlikely to want them on loan.

But, apparently, the club is to blame for a "failed approach".

Do people really think that the club just sits on its hands and does nothing in these situations? Or that moving unwanted players on is as easy as it is on FM?

Or that moving unwanted players on is as easy as it is on FM?
Let me get this off my chest just once. I find these sneering references to "FM" that are lobbed out from time to time very irritating. Personally, I have no idea what "FM" is, apart from a bandwidth for high frequency radio broadcasts. I guess from the references, "FM" is a bad thing to [?play/take part in/believe in?] but it is fairly blunt as a jibe unless you are a participant (and I suspect you have to be aged around 15 or less to be one of those).

Anyone who wants to suggest that the club has been well-managed over the past few years and that its decisions about player transfers have been balanced and mature, has a bit of an uphill struggle IMO. :)

PL making the public statements he did, and then segregating both hutton and warnock from the first team squad were actions with the sole intent of getting them sold. it said to other clubs, these guys are now to be gotten rid of at any cost...

the fact that noone was prepared to put a price on their worth, says everything about the players and the current state of premier league teams' finances...

now that they haven't been sold, and if the club fails to loan them out, I suspect to see them being reintegrated back into a squad they've been named in...

I for one would not want to see Warnock or Hutton in a first team match for us ever again. Why? Well neither of them is wanted, so I reckon that despite them being "professionals" I doubt either of them would care enough about the team to play well enough to warrant their selection above playing one of the more regular squad players out of position. Their presence on the pitch, if connected in any way with an "I really don't care" attitude towards Villa, would annoy the other players on the team who did care.

Imagine if you were on a pitch and one of your guys just kicked the ball around not really bothered if he was playing well or not. Would you be happy to have him there?

I recall Barnsley signing Andy Johnson (the Welsh one) when he was released from Leicester. He lost his first team place after a handful of matches and one day turned up for training to be told by the manager that he could either look like he was actually bothered or go home and never come back. He went home.

I suspect if we gave Warnock and Hutton that same choice, they'd go home too.

Personally I couldn't care less what happens with Warnock and Hutton as long as they aren't involved in the first team.

Warnock will leave at the end of the season anyway on a free transfer thankfully.. it just makes it more sweeter that Lambert has frozen him out so we don't have to put up with him for this season.

I dunno if any of you guys watched the Scotland match on Saturday but Hutton was an abomination yet again.

Should have been sent off for a two-footed lunge in the first half.

Whenever Serbia attacked, their players waltzed past him like he wasn't there.

He's a thug who must never play for Villa again.

Personally I couldn't care less what happens with Warnock and Hutton as long as they aren't involved in the first team.

Warnock will leave at the end of the season anyway on a free transfer thankfully.. it just makes it more sweeter that Lambert has frozen him out so we don't have to put up with him for this season.

This. Warnock almost certainly leave at the end of the season and surely someone will come in for Hutton.

I'm a bit puzzled by that post. Are you saying it would be a good thing if Hutton and Warnock were just allowed to spend the rest of their contracts lounging at home? Exactly how would that be good or helpful?

Maybe I just misundertood?

It won't be good or helpful but it will keep them away from the first team which is the matter at hand essentially.

If we cannot move them on, which it would appear we cannot do then the next best course of action is to remove them from the equation another way.

The players are shit and do not represent Lambert's vision for Villa moving forward, in that instance it is better to not have those players around our developing players such as the Academy Graduates and the recent younger acquisitions.

I'm a bit puzzled by that post. Are you saying it would be a good thing if Hutton and Warnock were just allowed to spend the rest of their contracts lounging at home? Exactly how would that be good or helpful?

Maybe I just misundertood?

No I'm saying it is definitely in our best interests to get them shipped out by whatever means, even if we subsidise their wages heavily for a period of time.

I did read Hutton saying that he'd be training hard to try and get noticed, but I took that with a pinch of salt after reading the secret footballer's notes about how you have to say that so that they have to compensate you more for selling you on.

Edit : although saying that, I do like BfH&V's reply above!

Â