Lambert PL Signings

mcben

A look at all of Paul Lambert's Premier League signings and how they fared. Useful to see what sort of a wheeler dealer he is. For my money the overwhelming majority of his signings have two things in common:

- They represent good value for money

- They're players that are yet to reach their peak performance

Aston Villa 12/13

Karim El Ahmadi - 27 - CM - Feyenoord - £2.5m

Matthew Lowton - 23 - RB - Sheffield United - £3m

Brad Guzan - 27 - GK - Unattached - N/A

Ron Vlaar - 27 - CD - Feyenoord - £3.2m

Joe Bennett - 22 - LB - Middlesbrough - £2.5m

Christian Benteke - 21 - ST - Genk - £7m

Jordan Bowery - 21 - ST - Chesterfield - £500K

Ashley Westwood - 22 - CM - Crewe - £2m

Norwich 11/12

Ryan Bennett - 21 - CD - Peterborough United - £3m (bought in January, loaned back to end of Feb, made 8 PL starts for 1 clean sheet v AVFC)

Jonathan Howson - 23 - CM - Leeds - £1m (bought in January, 11 PL starts for 1G/1A)

Daniel Ayala - 20 - CD - Liverpool FC - £750K (7 starts, 2 clean sheets - now at Notts Forest)

Kyle Naughton - 22 - RB - Spurs - Loan (32 starts, 1A, 3 clean sheets)

Steve Morison - 27 - ST - Millwall - £2m (22 starts, 12 subs, 9G, 4A)

James Vaughan - 22 - ST - Everton - £2m (1 start, missed most of season with injury)

Anthony Pilkington - 23 - CM/LM - Huddersfield Town - £2m (22 starts, 8G, 1A)

Elliott Bennett - 22 - RM - Brighton - £1.5m (22 starts, 1G/5A)

Ritchie de Laet - 22 - CD - Manchester Utd - Loan (6 starts)

Bradley Johnson - 24 - CM - Leeds - Free (25 starts, 2G/5A)

Remarkable how many players he plucked from lower leagues or from non-playing roles that were able to contribute to Norwich's season last year.

So if past form is any guide, we should stop thinking that Lambert will be attracted to big name players. He's not. He will continue to buy players that have done well in lower leagues or aren't getting chances at bigger clubs that represent value. Perhaps that's why Lerner (who isn't an idiot as many people say) was attracted to him in the first place.

I won't mention a particular book about baseball but it seems he's very much that way inclined.

EDIT: Deadline day signings included

I can't help worrying that we haven't supplemented these players with one or two with Premier League experience.

Whatever happens its going to be fascinating. Let's hope we've got enough this season whilst the squad develops and gels.

What I like about Lambert so far is not so much his purchases but what he has done with our existing players.

What you stated was certainly correct about the type of players he prefers and this extends to existing players. If they have no desire to contribute to the cause (hungry, willing to learn and wanting to be here) then they are left in no doubt as to where they stand (Collins, Warnock, Hutton, for example).

It shows that he is building and will take no prisoners while doin so. And, imo, that is exactly what we need at this point.

Seems things are hotting up now the windows about to shut, i get the sense that he gave the existing players as much time to make an impression as possible, with some he didn't need long to see what they can and can't do (Hutton/Warnock) while i think he'll have learnt alot from the Everton Game (regarding the likes of Delfouneso, N'Zogbia etc.)

No doubt that Lambert is good in the transfer market in the way the OP demonstrates. However, I would like the Villa list to be a bit nearer in length to the Norwich one! We could be in for a rough ride this season if we don't add a few more to the squad.

Briny, I think we're in for a rough season whatever happens. This is a true season of transition, a completely different style of play and lots of new/young players bedding in. Either way, I'm encouraged by looking at that list of signings for Norwich. The fees he paid are amazine. Pilkington for £2 milllion? He was the hottest prospect in league football.

Equally, El Ahmadi (Alan!) for £2.5 million. Bargain.

Everything Lambert has done so far for us has filled me with confidence.

Last season we started poorly and went downhill from there. This season we have started poorly and will improve.

**** throwing money at mercenaries living off a past reputation. **** paying vastly over the odds for average players. People have been bitching for years on this site about missing out on talented relative unknowns from Europe and wanting to give a shot to hungry players who will fight to the last. Now that it's FINALLY happening the same people are bitching about the lack of marquee signings and prem experience.

Shut up, back off and give the new lads a chance, they might just surprise you. Then you can go back to moaning about the quality of the burgers or how the stitching on the badge isn't quite what you hoped for.

Like most, I don't know much about the new signings, but that is exactly what makes it exciting. We've done the "buy Prem League experience" (Hutton, Nzogbia, Given from last season alone) and we're still recovering from it. Let's get some young, hungry players in and see what they can do.

Yes - we need experience through the spine of the team - and we have. Given, Vlaar, KEA and Bent. Granted Vlaar and KEA don't have prem league experience, but they still played for a team that qualified for the Champions League last season.

Please let's just give the new signings a chance to see what they can do before we write them off.

Looking forward to an interesting season... :)

No doubt that Lambert is good in the transfer market in the way the OP demonstrates. However, I would like the Villa list to be a bit nearer in length to the Norwich one! We could be in for a rough ride this season if we don't add a few more to the squad.
Norwich list is 10. If Benteke and Westwood join then Villa will be at 8

I think now the window's over we'll see Lambert's work really coming together. Lots of young, hungry players coupled with some PL experience and experience from abroad working together to get us up the table. I think Lambert's capable of getting these players he's signed from the lower leagues to over-achieve in the same way he got his league one and championship standard players to over-achieve at Norwich.

£20M is a decent outlay. I don't know how £20M compares to others; is it fair for Randy and us to expect a mid table finish from that, all things considered? We needed to buy a few players urgently and Lambert has done that.

Let's see how these signings do, lets hope they stay fit and hit the ground running, but I have a lot of faith in Lambert.

I am happy with things and look forward to PL exploding the myth that Clubs need to outbid each other for a handful of 'top' players every window. What a stupid merry go round it has been !

I used to get annoyed with people criticising MON for not buying quality like Schneider, Defoe etc, without realising it takes a lot (of money, wages, and many other things) to come to a Club and Villa are not the highest on many 'stars' lists. (That's why we paid incredible wages for Prem players).

Now I hear similar things that there are - apparently according to VT experts - all sorts of foreign players and 'experienced' players we should have bought, who apparently would definitely have come, and for reasonable fees, and on sensible wages.

I dont buy it.

I am happy to accept that PL has a better idea of me than whether we can acheive what we all want with the mixture he has bought. He certainly seems to have a clear plan.

I actually would rather be a Villa fan with PL and his 'risks' than a QPR fan with Hughes and his multi million pound circus at one extreme and I prefer it to Liverpool and Rodgers with their wierd sell but don't replace policy at the other.

And I am happy to predict we wont be anywhere near a relegation fight. :flag:

Â