Jordan Bowery

FamousHolteUnion

Who'd of thought.... Bowery gets subbed off and we fall to pieces!! Was 0-0 until he went off!

The one thing I noticed was when Bowery went off, City's centerbacks pushed up a lot higher. Bowery was keeping them on their heels because they likely knew they would be outpaced by Bowery if they pushed up. I genuinely believe Bowery's presence was keeping City's back four in check. 

He can learn quite a lot from these couple of appearances. Not ever going to rip up any trees, but applies himself well.

No striker ever learns anything playing 50 yards ahead of any teammate, chasing pointless long balls and generally being isolated and getting about 2 decent balls played into him all game.

Did he do anything that any athletic footballer couldn't do? I'm not having a go at him as it's not fair to judge him on a game against the champions were we set up to defend. But at the same time what did he do apart from run around a lot? Only Nathan baker touched the ball less times than him and he also had one of our lower pass completion rates. Fair play for the effort but I don't think this game showed he's a good player at this level.

Edited by Big_John_10
  • Like 1

Did he do anything that any athletic footballer couldn't do? I'm not having a go at him as it's not fair to judge him on a game against the champions were we set up to defend. But at the same time what did he do apart from run around a lot? Only Nathan baker touched the ball less times than him and he also had one of our lower pass completion rates. Fair play for the effort but I don't think this game showed he's a good player at this level.

Now there's a surprise zzzzzzz

• Like 1

Quite.  He did what any lower league striker would do in a similar position.  Run himself into the ground, and generally not look like scoring. 

• Like 1

he did play well, he put in a shift and I think his presence helps Weimann. If fit deserves another start on sunday

He did ok. Put a shift in, which is what you expect from any pro footballer. He's not good enough for us though...

People must have seen another game than I did, since there are so much positives in these last few pages. He was chasing the ball and leading the line, the easiest job in football because you don't actually have to play football. You could have put Usain Bolt on the pitch and he would have done as good as Bowery. When it mattered the most he missed a (albeit difficult) chance and didn't exactly look like Robin van Persie when he did so. Strikers are on the pitch to score goals and create chances, even against the best teams in the division. Just running around and chasing the ball hardly deserves any credit, it's not like the City-defenders felt he was even there.

A player we need to send down to the divisions and never take back, there is no room for sentiment in football.

I didn't see him do anything but run around a lot. He didn't win any flick ons with the long balls - not that anyone else did - and with that chance he had he did the stupidest thing you could do in that situation and didn't even look like he put any effort with it. Go back and watch it when that ball comes across and he volleys it, there's no power and he just looks like he can't be arsed. Either that or he was shattered, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was tired, but he was still daft.

I appreciated his effort, but he looked really unfit, which is probably to be expected since he's barely played all season. He could have controlled that ball and held it up. I think it was Westwood who was coming to the edge of the box and he could have pulled it back to him. I thought he was utter cack to be honest, a far cry from his performance against Hull. 

Edited by Ginko

Who'd of thought.... Bowery gets subbed off and we fall to pieces!! Was 0-0 until he went off!

The one thing I noticed was when Bowery went off, City's centerbacks pushed up a lot higher. Bowery was keeping them on their heels because they likely knew they would be outpaced by Bowery if they pushed up. I genuinely believe Bowery's presence was keeping City's back four in check. 

Might of course also have had something to do with the fact that Pellegrini replaced Milner with Jovetic and moved Silva to the wing almost immediately after Bowery went off. That seemed to allow them to get more penetration and create better chances.

Â