Jordan Bowery

FamousHolteUnion

I can't fault Lambert for this signing. You spend pennies on the likes of Bacuna and Bowery knowing that some will come good, and some won't. It's part of the game, you can't expect every low cost punt to be screaming in match winning goals in the Premier League. The promising signings till far outweigh the few who don't look up to standard.

Absolutely. I agree with what you are saying. But when I looked at some of Lambert's signings, eg. Bacuna and Tonev, I thought not sure, but I can see something there.

Bowery, to be fair, is the only one where I could see nothing to encourage me.

No I do agree. Tonev has been largely poor, but most of us can see that there's something in there worth pursuing. Like yourself, I see nothing at all worth bothering with when it comes to Bowery. An extremely limited footballer who doesn't belong at this level at all. Lambert must have seen something when he signed him, but in this instance atleast, he has undoubtedly made a mistake. Entirely forgiveable though.

Really fail to see how you can say it was a mistake to sign him?? Lamberts words last yr "yep he is one for the future" that was 1 yr ago. What is it that people don't understand about that statement?? I find it baffling the scrutiny he is put under. He is being gently blooded in here and there and getting used to being at this level.

3 even 4 yrs time, we'll see how his development has gone.

• Like 1

I can't fault Lambert for this signing. You spend pennies on the likes of Bacuna and Bowery knowing that some will come good, and some won't. It's part of the game, you can't expect every low cost punt to be screaming in match winning goals in the Premier League. The promising signings till far outweigh the few who don't look up to standard.

Absolutely. I agree with what you are saying. But when I looked at some of Lambert's signings, eg. Bacuna and Tonev, I thought not sure, but I can see something there.

No I do agree. Tonev has been largely poor, but most of us can see that there's something in there worth pursuing. Like yourself, I see nothing at all worth bothering with when it comes to Bowery. An extremely limited footballer who doesn't belong at this level at all. Lambert must have seen something when he signed him, but in this instance atleast, he has undoubtedly made a mistake. Entirely forgiveable though.

Really fail to see how you can say it was a mistake to sign him?? Lamberts words last yr "yep he is one for the future" that was 1 yr ago. What is it that people don't understand about that statement?? I find it baffling the scrutiny he is put under. He is being gently blooded in here and there and getting used to being at this level.

Ok well, that's my opinion. Obviously it is yet to be seen whether Bowery will come good or not, but I highly suspect he won't and he's done nothing to suggest I'm wrong with my opinion. I'm fairly confident that he'll never come good for AVFC, and I personally would rather other players like Helenius were given a chance to shine when the opportunity comes. Like it or not, football is a cut-throat business and I don't think we can afford the luxury of playing someone like Bowery in the faint & distant hope that one day he will become an average Premier League player. 

Edited by Shillzz
  • Like 1

Ok well, that's my opinion. Obviously it is yet to be seen whether Bowery will come good or not, but I highly suspect he won't and he's done nothing to suggest I'm wrong with my opinion. I'm fairly confident that he'll never come good for AVFC, and I personally would rather other players like Helenius were given a chance to shine when the opportunity comes. Like it or not, football is a cut-throat business and I don't think we can afford the luxury of playing someone like Bowery in the faint & distant hope that one day he will become an average Premier League player. 

If our hopes and dreams were all on Bowery's shoulders then the above would make sense, but he isn't, far from it. And yes we can afford the luxury because he was brought under the new regime.

Pretty impressive how you can watch him a handful of times and dismiss his future, yet you want to see helenius who has shown nothing whatsoever

If our hopes and dreams were all on Bowery's shoulders then the above would make sense, but he isn't, far from it. And yes we can afford the luxury because he was brought under the new regime.

Pretty impressive how you can watch him a handful of times and dismiss his future, yet you want to see helenius who has shown nothing whatsoever

If you were at the Spurs match where the 2 played upfront together then you'd probably have a similar opinion to mine. Bowery has had some chances, and has had far more Premiership minutes than Helenius, and during that time i've seen nothing from the former that would inspire any confidence in his potential. We've all seen him play for Villa, and it's no coincidence that the vast majority of supporters don't think he's a particularly valuable player. You're entitled to your opinion, but i'm also entitled to think that the minutes he has played for Villa have shown him to be a player not up to, or indeed potentially capable of, playing at a Premier League standard.

I think he's a Villa fan too? (Iirc?) So let's cut him a bit of slack, he's playing for the club he supports.. It's something we all dream about and well he's a decent footballer from the bits I've seen of him... I'd rather have Bowery than Heskey or Harewood...

First I've heard of him being a Villa fan, is there any basis to this?  Surely if he was, it would be mentioned somewhere, but a quick search reveals nothing.  There's no proof that he isn't, but I think it's unlikely that somebody born in Nottingham, who played for Derby as a kid, and whose dad played for Forest, is a Villa fan.  I could be wrong though.

I think he's a Villa fan too? (Iirc?) So let's cut him a bit of slack, he's playing for the club he supports.. It's something we all dream about and well he's a decent footballer from the bits I've seen of him... I'd rather have Bowery than Heskey or Harewood...

First I've heard of him being a Villa fan, is there any basis to this?  Surely if he was, it would be mentioned somewhere, but a quick search reveals nothing.  There's no proof that he isn't, but I think it's unlikely that somebody born in Nottingham, who played for Derby as a kid, and whose dad played for Forest, is a Villa fan.  I could be wrong though.

Sure he had said something like it was his dream to play for Villa or was a fan of the club or something... (Interview last season) Could be 100% wrong and talking out of my backside though...

Not a big fan of either of these two, but I doubt if Bowery will ever reach the level of either, particularly Heskey.

Sure he had said something like it was his dream to play for Villa or was a fan of the club or something... (Interview last season) Could be 100% wrong and talking out of my backside though...

Lots of players would dream of moving from a club like Chesterfield to Aston Villa though, it doesn't make them a fan, it just means they want to play for a big club.  I think in the absence of any mention of him being a Villa fan whatsoever, we can probably knock that bit of conjecture on the head.

I think for anyone playing for Chesterfield it would be a dream to play for Villa

I've not seen or heard anything about him being a Villa fan personally

Â