Jordan Bowery

FamousHolteUnion

Other teams in the league adapted it and utilised it with their increased budgets so everything returned to how it was

I'm sure I read an article that said comoli is a huge fan of it and Liverpool have 3 (article also said the Yankees have 21)

IMO it won't work in football because of the variance between leagues / countries / playing styles, Billy Beene was looking at who gets the most 1st bases in a game that forgive my ignorance everyone plays the same way, Joe Allen got bought by Liverpool for his high pass % if he'd played for us last season would he be any worse a player but would his % have been as high?

Joe Allen got bought by Liverpool for his high pass % if he'd played for us last season would he be any worse a player but would his % have been as high?

You'd assume the system good enough to get round that. If he was a good passer a passing % would be relatively high in a squad/for his age/position etc etc.

I kind of agree with you though, stats are important, but not more important than old fashioned watching a player.

Yep IMO stats are useful when you can determine which ones aren't controlled by the team / league they play in

Bowery for example I think 2 stats are useful - work rate and % of shots on target

Everything else such as positioning, passing, headers won, even goals scored can be taken with a pinch of salt

Patrick Riley's original role with the club was as our performance analyst I think - he measured things like the ground covered by players, their top speeds, heart rates, times spent at a sprinting speed during games, degradation of effort over ninety minutes, all of that sort of stuff and provided info to managers - so he's definitely someone who uses stats to monitor players, maybe there's something in the idea that he's added some judgement on playing ability to the statistical analysis. I'd doubt it'd be just that on its own though.

If he can do what he did for the Lakers, Knicks & Heat I'm all in favour of giving him a big role ;)

I saw the film and know they had an unbeaten spell but did the 'moneyball' approach lead to actually winning something? Has the guy who started it been able to replicate it at other clubs?

Not really a baseball fan so have limited knowledge. I know this approach sounds great but has it actually worked?

not for the As, but the Red Sox used it successfully

Anyone see the reserves v Southampton?

Club tweets suggested he was lively and could have scored. But then they would say that.

And how about Clint Westwood?

I did. Poor man's John Caarew IMO.... Jack set up two good chances for him and he also hit the bar. Still dont seem a bad signing for the money paid. Just not sure at this age that he'll make it big time.

Anyone see the reserves v Southampton?

Club tweets suggested he was lively and could have scored. But then they would say that.

And how about Clint Westwood?

I did. Poor man's John Caarew IMO.... Jack set up two good chances for him and he also hit the bar. Still dont seem a bad signing for the money paid. Just not sure at this age that he'll make it big time.

:thumb:

How 'bout Westwood?

2-2 draw then.

From Pravda -

The imposing figure of Bowery caused plenty of problems for the Southampton defence.

He was almost rewarded with a debut goal, only to see headers saved, cleared off the line and come back off the bar in quick succession.

As well as being strong and tidy with his hold-up play, Bowery also displayed impressive acceleration when turning away from defenders.

But Daniel Devine was the standout figure in the Saints clash.

The Irish central defender marshalled the back four impressively and also scored both of Villa's goals.

I saw the film and know they had an unbeaten spell but did the 'moneyball' approach lead to actually winning something? Has the guy who started it been able to replicate it at other clubs?

Not really a baseball fan so have limited knowledge. I know this approach sounds great but has it actually worked?

not for the As, but the Red Sox used it successfully

Think all of the baseball teams use this approach now. Sabermetrics it's called.

Culverhouse: I wanted you to see these player evaluations that you asked me to do.

Lambert I asked you to do three.

Culverhouse: Yeah.

Lambert To evaluate three players.

Culverhouse:: Yeah.

Lambert How many you'd do?

Culverhouse:: Forty-seven.

Lambert Okay.

Culverhouse: Actually, fifty-one. I don't know why I lied just then.

Â