Joe Bennett

Si.

don't forget we have Dunne coming back and Vlaar is experienced.

How much can we rely on Dunne though? He's looking pretty injury prone now.

Its a very inexperienced and young back 4, if they struggle with form, confidence or injuries we only have more young inexperienced players as back up.

I'll back Lamberts signing and i'm glad we are buying potential but its a big risk IMO and i'm not sure it will make much difference this season.

This article implies that the deal is quite advanced so maybe something late today?

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert is paying £2.75million to snap up Middlesbrough left back Joe Bennett.

The 22-year-old is due at Villa Park on Wednesday for talks.

His arrival will pave the way for former England defender Stephen Warnock to quit the Midlands club.

Dunne is a while off being back yet though and Vlaar is not PL experienced. Do rate this kid but I'm also worried about a backline of Bennett-Baker-Vlaar-Lowton lacking age and PL experience.

Still more confident with the proposed new line up than, Hutton-Collins-Dunne-Warnock? That is a line up nightmares were made of last5 year. And TBH Vlaar seems to have settled very quickly.

This article implies that the deal is quite advanced so maybe something late today?

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert is paying £2.75million to snap up Middlesbrough left back Joe Bennett.

The 22-year-old is due at Villa Park on Wednesday for talks.

His arrival will pave the way for former England defender Stephen Warnock to quit the Midlands club.

Heil football!

Seems confident, and looks an interesting prospect at a reasonable price. Remember, this is the sort of signing MON would have paid about £8m for...

If the transfer gets completed and 2.75 million turns out to be the correct fee then we have done well with this deal to be fair! I've seen him play a few times for Middlesbrough and England Under 21's and he's played decent.

Just hope he's consistent enough, which his rep would probably imply. We need someone reliable, week-in week-out, not a defender who has a blinder and then goes awol for a couple of games.

To be honest I fully expect our team to blow hot and cold this season and we will end up between 10th and 14th. Don't expect much more. Importantly we are moving in the right direction. we are buying players hungry to succeed. Players from abroad with lower wages and low fees that have the talent to succeed

And the future stars of the Prem before they are stars. Yeah every player may not work but it's better than spending £8m on a player with £40k wages on an average player.

Kendrick has released his latest report. Lets hope we pull them both off (also posted on the Benteke thread)

PAUL Lambert is preparing to submit a bid for Middlesbrough left-back Joe Bennett and make an improved offer for Genk striker Christian Benteke on Wednesday.

Bennett is the defender Villa are now chasing ahead of Friday’s transfer deadline after their pursuit of Ipswich’s Aaron Cresswell met with frustration.

According to sources on Teesside the 22-year-old is rated at £2.5 million and the claret and blues are belived to be planning to lodge an offer in that region.

Villa will also make a renewed bid for Belgium international frontman Benteke after an initial offer, understood to be £5 million weas rejected yesterday.

Lambert was characteristically playing his cards close to his chest when asked about both transfer targets after the Capital One Cup win over Tranmere.

Asked about Bennett, the Villa boss replied: “Hopefully something might happen on that. Has a bid gone in? Near enough.

“It’s like Benteke, there’s no point in me really talking about it until I know. I think it’s unfair on Aston Villa, unfair on Middlesbrough, unfair on Genk and unfair on the lads themselves.”

Benteke is keen on a move to Villa, but contrary to some reports yesterday the 21-year-old targetman, who has scored three goals in five games, has not gone on strike from the Belgian top flight club Genk.

Speaking about Benteke, Lambert said: “It’s not something I’ve thought about because I’ve had the game. I’ll wait and see.

“There’s no point me talking about it until something happens.

“We’ve just got to try ans see where we are with Genk, they’ll probably throw the ball back in our court.

Lambert, who has held fresh transfer discussions with the Villa board, admitted the last week of the transfer window can be fraught with difficulties.

“If we can do something with a few then we’d like to try and do it,” he said.

There’s three days to go and it’s hard at times because the time is shorter, things go for you and go against you and then they go on and it’s been like that. So I’ll wait and see.

“I had to be fair to the players that were here to see what they were like.

“It’s an exciting challenge for us to try and turn it around and hopefully we’ll be ok and it won’t be for the lack of trtying.

“We’re trying at the minute with a few and I’m just going to wait to see if anything happens.”

Villa have had no enquiries about unwanted full-backs Alan Hutton and Stephen Warnock, with Lambert adding: “No, none.

“I haven’t thought about one thing other than trying to get people into the club. I can’t do anything if the phone doesn’t go, you have to wait and see. Maybe their agents are doing things, I don’t know.”

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2012/08/28/aston-villa-to-step-up-chase-of-christian-benteke-and-joe-bennett-on-wednesday-97319-31716880/

Taken from Skysports;

Tony Mowbray says he is in no rush to sell Joe Bennett after holding talks with Aston Villa but would consider letting him go for the right price.

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert confirmed his interest in the Middlesbrough defender on Tuesday and said he was hopeful of completing a deal.

Boro boss Mowbray does not want to lose a player he rates so highly but accepts that everybody has their price.

"We've had a few conversations with Aston Villa over the last few days, but he's not a player we're in a hurry to move on," he told the club's official website.

"He's done exceptionally well for us and is a very talented individual. But like all players, if the numbers get to the right level, we will consider it."

Speculation

Marvin Emnes is another player to have been linked with a move away from Middlesbrough, with Swansea City understood to be keen on bringing in the striker.

However, Emnes was included in the Boro side for Tuesday's Capital One Cup clash against Gillingham and Mowbray had no hesitation in picking him.

The manager said: "I've seen the speculation and I've heard the rumours and yet Marvin's fit, he trained on Sunday and Monday, and there was no reason not to play him and here he is playing."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11680/8029783/Mowbray-firm-on-Bennett

I've said it from the very beginning that we should be after Bennett. Seen him play plenty of times. Has great potential. He will off days though as he gains more experience. I hope the fans will give him the patience he needs to succeed at this level.

Those downs could very well mean the Championship.

If PL can get Norwich to 12th he can make sure we stay in the Prem. Dont forget he has some good players at the club. Yes he needs more and I hope we get at least 3 more in this window and a couple in Jan.

According to skysports hes not sure if he wants to come...........

If we can't lure a young player from Boro to the club, it's sure a statement on how people see the state of the club.

Now, I hope a move to Villa would be a step in the right direction for this kid, but the fact that he doesn't feel sure about that adds to the feeling I have we have many to prove wrong this season.

According to skysports hes not sure if he wants to come...........

If we can't lure a young player from Boro to the club, it's sure a statement on how people see the state of the club.

Now, I hope a move to Villa would be a step in the right direction for this kid, but the fact that he doesn't feel sure about that adds to the feeling I have we have many to prove wrong this season.

"According to Skysports"

Â