Joe Bennett

Si.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Alys been pretty poor at top level, bennetts been shit at a lower level. Thats the difference for me. I think he is a solid lb but going forward he is absolutely shocking

Has Bennett been shit at a lower level? I thought Brighton fans rated him? He had a decent rep coming from Boro. Only made a handful off appearances at Wednesday but also had an injury which knocked him about for a couple of months. 

Not sure where you get shit from. Do tell. 

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Has Bennett been shit at a lower level? I thought Brighton fans rated him? He had a decent rep coming from Boro. Only made a handful off appearances at Wednesday but also had an injury which knocked him about for a couple of months. 

Not sure where you get shit from. Do tell. 

Eh? If Brighton fans rated him so highly why did they not make his move permanent? He didnt play a single game for Bournemouth coming back to us.

Then he went to Sheffied Wednesday in January played 3 games before getting injured in April (3 games in 2 months) So if he was really that good he would have played more games for them.  Thats (including us) three teams he has failed at.

That's where I get "my shit" from.

Edited by Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Remember the start of Aly's first season when he was whipping in dangerous crosses..

No, I don't :)

I remember his first game against Stoke, he as part of a back four was solid, but ultimately I think he has been complete shit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Eh? If Brighton fans rated him so highly why did they not make his move permanent? He didnt play a single game for Bournemouth coming back to us.

Then he went to Sheffied Wednesday in January played 3 games before getting injured in April (3 games in 2 months) So if he was really that good he would have played more games for them.  Thats (including us) three teams he has failed at.

That's where I get "my shit" from.

I don't know but I would find it difficult to say he was shit at Brighton without having seen him play regularly and considering they didn't report him as being shit. 

Bournemouth were in the premier league and he was bought in as cover.

Didn't work out for him at Wednesday granted. 

You seem shocked I've pulled you up on it so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and ask, how many times did you watch him play for those clubs?

He's dreadful. I think he's getting better in people's memories the longer he hasn't played for us.

He was truly shite.

Cissokho is considerably better. And Cissokho is rubbish.

• Like 4

I would stop short of classing Bennett as an awful player. From what I have seen in his time with us, he has been a wildly inconsistent player, who shows flashes of decent skill, but ultimately injuries have cost him. He never really seemed to start a long stretch of matches for the club aside from a brief period in his first season, and I do think that hindered his development a bit. I certainly think he will be a useful player for us this season...and if he is truly shite, then no harm done because his contract expires in June. 

Just now, sexbelowsound said:

It's nothing to do with him getting better in people's memories. 

We need a second choice left back. IMO I thinkthin that should be Bennett. Cissokho has had his chance to be first choice and was utterly underwhelming. 

Bennet has been here for 4 years. Has he not had his chance and been utterly underwhelming. Bennet is so bad he hasn't been able to get close to one of the worst sides in the history of the club. 

2 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

It's nothing to do with him getting better in people's memories. 

We need a second choice left back. IMO I think that should be Bennett. Cissokho has had his chance to be first choice and was utterly underwhelming. 

I'd go with the better player of the two.

That is undoubtedly Cissokho, imo. Despite the fact he isn't very good.

Look, he's 26 now. He wasn't great for us in the Prem at a younger age but he's approaching what should be his peak now. Worst case scenario, we give him a chance as a backup to Amavi and see how he gets on.

Cissokho is naff and should be shipped out this summer so I would like to see JB given a chance to perform at this level witch (hopefully) a decent team around him.

Edited by JPAngel
Sudden onset dyslexia apparently.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I urge you to go back and read the reactions to his performances at the time. 

I think you'll find the overall verdict is that he was terrible.

I've done that. 

Surprisingly, that's not actually the case. From at the end of his first season - https://www.villatalk.com/topic/7103-joe-bennett/?page=63

Many people writing him off sure, but plenty of others saying there is glimpses of a player in there, should be given time, coaching etc.

He's played 6 times for us since then. One such stint was as I said just before Bertrand came in and I seem to remember him playing well and there being some debate over whether he should keep his place. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't know but I would find it difficult to say he was shit at Brighton without having seen him play regularly and considering they didn't report him as being shit. 

Bournemouth were in the premier league and he was bought in as cover.

Didn't work out for him at Wednesday granted. 

You seem shocked I've pulled you up on it so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and ask, how many times did you watch him play for those clubs?

I am shocked not that you pulled me up on it.., more shocked that you are willing to give him another go! Granted I didn't see his mighty three performances at Wednesday but I remember his performance for us (and there was alot) and he was atrocious. Remember Bradford?? He was getting humiliated at left back by league two players. Thats when I knew this guy is a dud and should never feature for us again. 

11 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I disagree he was ever that bad for us. He was young, raw, needed a LOT of coaching and had the occasional meltdown but I also remember thinking he had the materials.

The last time I remember seeing him play for us I'm reasonably sure he had a decent game, against a decent team, before being dropped for on loan Bertrand. 

I actually think that rather than absence making the heart grow fonder we are seeing the opposite from some. I bet he's actually an ok Championship level defender. 

Yes to be honest I'd be more than happy to have Amavi as the first choice and Bennett as back up.

Cissokho is surplus to requirements for me

The difference is aly came to a team shot with confidence and playing shite. Bennett, we were not as bad as we were last season yet he performed so poorly. I have absolutely no faith in him whatsoever. definitely needs to leave the club in my opinion. Would rather have clark as backup lb. Even though it isnt his natural position he is far better alternative to the rubbish bennett

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I've done that. 

Surprisingly, that's not actually the case. From at the end of his first season - https://www.villatalk.com/topic/7103-joe-bennett/?page=63

Many people writing him off sure, but plenty of others saying there is glimpses of a player in there, should be given time, coaching etc.

He's played 6 times for us since then. One such stint was as I said just before Bertrand came in and I seem to remember him playing well and there being some debate over whether he should keep his place. 

From the page you've linked:

On 5/16/2013 at 22:33, briny_ear said:

He's just not up to it. We've had enough time to judge that and I really don't want to have to spend next season rowing about whether he's any good and might one day improve.

Just move him on with dignity please.

On 5/19/2013 at 16:25, ldwillis said:

Hes just crap. I dont blame lambert it was a gamble as was westwood and lowton and they paid off brilliantly. But bennett just isnt cracked up to the prem. Bakers prone to a mistake but bennett does something every game. Swallow ur pride PL get rid

On 5/19/2013 at 16:29, Spoony said:

Such a painfully shit footballer

On 5/19/2013 at 16:32, Davkaus said:

I'm sorry but he's not a youngster coming through the youth setup. He's 23. If he hasn't got the basics down by now, he's no place in this division. He's a **** liability and should have been left to ply his trade in the lower leagues where his ineptness is expected.

On 5/19/2013 at 18:04, R.I.C.O. said:

He's just a massive liability and the most obvious weak link in our back four. 

The best anybody on that page can seem to say is stuff like "I won't write him off yet" or "I think he might come good".

Have we got any evidence that he's come good?

I'll admit he might have improved over the past couple of years. But based on what we've seen from him in a Villa shirt, he's shit. And he shouldn't be keeping Cissokho off the bench, despite the fact Cissokho is also crap.

If he's improved then fair enough, but there doesn't seem to be anything to base that on other than a hunch. He was 23 back then, he's 26 now. it's not like he was an 18 year old finding his feet.

Edited by Stevo985

Â