Joe Bennett

Si.

45 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Seems he's been here for years and years....how longs his contract as he signed in 2012?

Tells you everything about him really. We don't want him and neither does anyone else. 

I would trust him taking our set-pieces since they have been complete shit for the last 5 years that he cant do any worse. He seems a good footballer with a good left foot but weak defender that I still think he could do a job left midfield

• Like 2

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Just don't rate him,not from first few games I saw him play, don't think he'll even be much good in the championship as we want to be a promotion chasing team and he couldn't get in Sheff Weds team who were just that last season.

I did however like Lowton. Would've been better if we'd just loaned him out last season as he proved his quality at Burnley so would've been a good option this year.

Selling Lowton was a mistake.

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

I would trust him taking our set-pieces since they have been complete shit for the last 5 years that he cant do any worse. He seems a good footballer with a good left foot but weak defender that I still think he could do a job left midfield

Possible replacement for Sinclair etc?

35 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We don't need three LBs for the championship, waste of resources. 

Not so sure, say one of them is out with injury for 5 months again? 

Could also feasibly play Amavi further up in a more attacking role with Bennett or Aly behind.

4 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Not so sure, say one of them is out with injury for 5 months again? 

Could also feasibly play Amavi further up in a more attacking role with Bennett or Aly behind.

We have eventually managed to get a really good left back in Amavi. Lets just keep him there.

28 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Sack Aly off. Bennett as second choice for me.

not for me bennett is garbage not going to be fooled by a few goals to some 6th division austrian side, aly can do a job in championship in my opinion 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

not for me bennett is garbage not going to be fooled by a few goals to some 6th division austrian side, aly can do a job in championship in my opinion 

I'm not fooled by his goals. I don't rate Aly at all. Offers nothing going forward and is a liability defensively.

There's a reason Liverpool fans think Cissokho is a joke of a football player and that no one has been tempted to pick him up from us since relegation. Physically he's immense in terms of stature, but he's clumsy in defense and just cannot run forward with the ball, let alone put a decent cross in.

He'll run a lot during the game but not for any real purpose. Combo that with Hutton on the other side who is pretty similar and you've got a recipe for disaster again.

5 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Tbh I have always thought Aly is pretty solid defensively - at least compared to others in our defense.  But as you say offers very little at all going forward.

He wasn't solid defensively towards the end of least season, or arguably previous to being sent out on loan. He's been a bit pants for us full stop and I get the feeling his reputation for being solid defensively is based on reputation and the fact that he's utterly dogshit going forward, giving the impression he must have value defensively. 

I too would like to see Bennett given another chance. Not least because I've always maintained that there's a decent player in there and whilst he struggled as a young man in the premier league that's not reason to write a player off completely. He's got a wonderful left peg.

That he's also 10/10 WB is irrelevant. Honest. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He wasn't solid defensively towards the end of least season, or arguably previous to being sent out on loan. He's been a bit pants for us full stop and I get the feeling his reputation for being solid defensively is based on reputation and the fact that he's utterly dogshit going forward, giving the impression he must have value defensively. 

I too would like to see Bennett given another chance. Not least because I've always maintained that there's a decent player in there and whilst he struggled as a young man in the premier league that's not reason to write a player off completely. He's got a wonderful left peg.

That he's also 10/10 WB is irrelevant. Honest. 

Alys been pretty poor at top level, bennetts been shit at a lower level. Thats the difference for me. I think he is a solid lb but going forward he is absolutely shocking

Â