A Footballing Decree Nisi

GaztonVilla

Why is it people get jumped on for merely mentioning O'Neill? I don't get it. He was our manager from 2006 to 2010 and spent a lot of money in the process, so of course he's going to be discussed on here a lot. I don't know why some people take criticism of O'Neill as personal insults.

It's been worse than this, far worse and it will get better, much better.

Ignore the negatives, some people love to set themselves up for a 'I told you so' it's on the tip of their tongue, especially with something like the Villa, which is out of their hands.

I go to the Villa because I love the Villa, I don't care what anyone else says.

I'm the same. I've been falling out of love with football for a while now. In fact, apart from watching Villa, I don't watch any football at all. Even the Euros didn't interest me.

It's all getting silly now. The money in the game is ridiculous, the 'role models' are womanisers, racists, knob heads.. there is no 'sportsmanship' in the game any more etc... etc... Once the NFL starts up next week I probably won't even see a Villa game tbh. My heart is just not in the game.

People need to forget about the money, the player wages, the big houses, the flash cars, the luxury holidays, the stunning wives & girlfriends, the infidelities and the scandals. All of it, just forget about it.

People need to remember that all of the above is out of our control. I couldnt give a shit anymore what the players get paid or what they spunk their money on, i couldnt give a shit who's shagging who's missus, i couldnt give a shit what car they drive or how stupid they dress, as not of it has any sway on my life.

People get too engrossed on who's saying what on Twitter and worry themselves about how much money is being spunked up the wall on wages and transfer fee's, really...why does it upset people so much? It's not your money is it? And before some smart arse pipes up with "yes it is my money, i brought a season ticket, the new home shirt and a Villa keyring for my uncle Bob!" Did the club force you to do this? Did they hold you against your will until you coughed up the cash? Course they didnt...you handed your money over because you wanted too.

Some people need to take a big step back and look at the bigger picture...it's a game...a **** game, nothing more or nothing less. The problem as i see it, is that people used to go to the football because they like to watch it, now people spend too much time worrying about the money involved. Why? Just enjoy it for what it is.

The sooner people realise that all the bullshit is out of their control, the sooner thay can return to enjoying it. Me, i couldnt give a shit about wages or trnasfer fee's i just enjoy watching the football.

I'm the same. I've been falling out of love with football for a while now. In fact, apart from watching Villa, I don't watch any football at all. Even the Euros didn't interest me.

It's all getting silly now. The money in the game is ridiculous, the 'role models' are womanisers, racists, knob heads.. there is no 'sportsmanship' in the game any more etc... etc...

Pretty much this for me, too.

Too many negatives at once. I've done my "through thick and thin" time, back in the 60s/70s when we fell into the third tier. I saw us rise from that to win the League and the European Cup, then saw Ellis return and dismantle the team, sparking another era of mediocrity.

I could do it all again now if football generally was as much fun (and affordable) as it was then. But it isn't, it's loathsome. The combination of a piss-poor Villa and a rancid football culture is a bit too much of a perfect storm.

I haven't been to a Villa game in four years now, and it's quite possible that I never will again.

I really don't understand how anyone could fall out of love with football. It's the best sport on the planet and is defintely the most entertaining. I love love love it, I watch every Premier League game I can. (I choose to watch other games over watching Villa on occasion). The Man City game at the end of last season is the reason it's so good, no other sport in the world can do that. How you can stop liking that is completely beyond me.

Have to say that Villa fans on occasion annoy me, there's this opinion on here that we deserve to be successful more than other clubs, there's a modern day culture of wanting instant success... there's very little patience. Though, the worst for me is the booing at games. Disgraceful IMO, really doesn't help anyone. Also, the "You don't know what you're doing" chanting to our own players. It's embarassing and I wish that section of Villa fans would fall out of love with football and quite frankly, **** off and support Man City.

I can't help but feel that a lot of this doom and gloom is just endemic of the fact that we are now shit. Don't get me wrong, the fans can be animals, the players are spoilt cheats, the money is sickening... etc.

But it's been like that for the best part of 15 years, hasn't it? It's gotten worse, admittedly, but the sport is no less exciting. After all the midweek bullshit, come matchday it's 11 vs. 11 at the best sport in the world.

I fully understand the sentiment. Football in general has indeed been ruined. I have zero respect or admiration for most modern footballers, including a fair few of our own. To compete at the highest level now you need untold wealth. Even a man like Lerner with all his millions is considered a peasant compared to Abramovich, City Arabs etc. Football has become just another reflection of a greedy and superficial society. It's a damn shame.

As for the fans, I agree there are some complete morons out there. Morons who think because they pay their money for tickets it gives them a right to demand footballing perfection week in/week out and mercilessly abuse the team when this doesn't happen. And then attack other fans who don't share their opinions. I can understand it when frustrations reach boiling point like they did last season under McLeish. No fan deserves to suffer that kind of football and sometimes the abuse is warranted. But booing the team off first home game of the season? I know we were poor on Saturday but many fans don't seem to have an ounce of faith or patience anymore. They want instant gratification. Another mirror of society in general.

Yet despite all this, I can't ever imaging "divorcing" the club. I would find it literally impossible to sever an emotional connection to a club I have supported since I was a small child. A love that was handed down from other generations. I'm as disillusioned as anyone but confident things will start to improve and when they do I'll wager that the stay-aways will return to Villa Park and their love affair will be re-kindled. Football is about far more than the players and the money and Sky. The sense of loyalty and identity you get from being a fan far outweighs all that. Even if the Premier League ended up a crass, OTT spectacle like in American sport, it will never change who you are and where you came from.

The Villa is yours. Don't give up on it.

It's all getting silly now. The money in the game is ridiculous, the 'role models' are womanisers, racists, knob heads.. there is no 'sportsmanship' in the game any more etc... etc...

Pretty much this for me, too.

Too many negatives at once. I've done my "through thick and thin" time, back in the 60s/70s when we fell into the third tier. I saw us rise from that to win the League and the European Cup, then saw Ellis return and dismantle the team, sparking another era of mediocrity.

I could do it all again now if football generally was as much fun (and affordable) as it was then. But it isn't, it's loathsome. The combination of a piss-poor Villa and a rancid football culture is a bit too much of a perfect storm.

I haven't been to a Villa game in four years now, and it's quite possible that I never will again.

The Moon Man also speaks for me on this.

I may go to the odd game this season, but only to catch up with mates and have a beer.

The Villa is yours.

Is it? It used to feel that way. Not sure it does any more.

My point is that whatever greed and mismanagement goes on at a football club, no one will ever take away the emotional connection you have with it. VTID etc etc

Â