A Footballing Decree Nisi

GaztonVilla

Are we still blaming MoN? And yes I'm sure the people moaning while he was in charge knew all the inside details of our finances during that time :lol:

Ultimately Lerner agreed to every contract we gave out and he was the sole person at this club who should have had a clear idea of our finances, wages to turnover and how this would continue in the future.

His decisions after MON walked/pushed have continued to effect our finances. If we had appointed the right man after MoN and given them the money houllier and Mcleish had along with some of the compensation we've paid out recently we'd be in a much better position right now.

That would mean we could still invest small amount, getting finances sorted and not worrying about relegation.

High wages and fee's is one thing.... coupled with poor quality player spells disaster.

If the players bought over a good period of time represented any quality at all, the high fee's and wages would have been resigned to the back burner.

Are we still blaming MoN? And yes I'm sure the people moaning while he was in charge knew all the inside details of our finances during that time :lol:

Ultimately Lerner agreed to every contract we gave out and he was the sole person at this club who should have had a clear idea of our finances, wages to turnover and how this would continue in the future.

His decisions after MON walked/pushed have continued to effect our finances. If we had appointed the right man after MoN and given them the money houllier and Mcleish had along with some of the compensation we've paid out recently we'd be in a much better position right now.

That would mean we could still invest small amount, getting finances sorted and not worrying about relegation.

High wages and fee's is one thing.... coupled with poor quality player spells disaster.

If the players bought over a good period of time represented any quality at all, the high fee's and wages would have been resigned to the back burner.

The whole issue was wages in relation to our income. Unless we figured out a way to increase the income by a large amount it was always going to be an issue regardless of the quality of the players.

We still have fans that criticise Lerner for not investing - when you look at the accounts you'll actually begin to realise that if it wasn't for his massive investments - over the past 3 years particularly - we'd be bankrupt and there probably wouldn't be a football club at all.

What utter nonsense!!!!

Look at the accounts. When we lose £37m and £53m in respective years - where does that money come from? Randy Lerner subsiding is. This isn't conjecture it's stone cold hard fact.

Thats what you are up against.... I thought your previous post on the heart of the problem, was brilliant.

Ps I think the main draw back to Randy and Faulkner is they are not football people unlike Steve Stride.

True! Thanks dude - i think it's really sad becasue eventually those that haven't yet walked away (and I only probably go now as an excuse to ensure my brother and I see each other regularly) will soon do so.

I'm very anti MON and sometimes find it very hard to put into words just how much I dislike him - the foolish majority look at 6th place and a cup final (which we LOST when against the first decent team) and think it was great, no it wasn't not when the result of that is massive, massive losses. £37m and £53m - seriously what could have been done differently to address this shortfall? This isn't a small amount this is major, we'd probably have had to qualify into the champions league and then get through the group two seasons in succession to get anywhere near clawing that money back. The financial position is a complete shambles.

Most will not see O'Neill as the main protagonist because he ain't here.

I don't dislike O'Neill because I don't know him, If I did I might like him....No its his actions I did'nt like...Like the time he told the Villa Fans at the post Moscow debacle in the Holte Suite... I'll apologise this time, but I won't apologise again, If I had of been there I would have left the meal and walked out.... A pal of mine asked him a question at asports forum and he bascially said who are you to question me.

I don't mind a bit of arrogance, when it can be backed up, but overall his performance in the transfer market left me spell bound. I don't buy this Randy Lerner should not have allowed him the freedom to whittle his money away on tripe.... if he had of interferred like HDE he would have been hounded, but Randy doesn't know enough about our game to have challeged O'Neill, don't get me wrong N'zogbia not coming off and Makoun hasn't helped its just constatntly bad transfer dealings... Its just O'Neill bought most of them and that the legacy Paul Lambert has to deal with today.

I cringe now when we buy players instead of being excited.

I think Lambert will do the job we are all waiting for to be done.... just don't know when we will reach rock bottom and are on the way back.

I can understand where OP is coming from. The game has changed so much in the last 10 years that I think it is so much easier to fall out of love with a club or simply lose interest in going. Last year was suppose to be the best end to a premier league season because of how close it was at both ends of the table, and while that may be the case the gap between the top teams and the bottoms teams is forever increasing. If your trapped in the middle its simply a battle to just stay where you are. A club needs a ton of cash to even make a challenge at Europe, to challenge for the title you need a billionaire.

The issue with the fans has been increasing, I hate a lot of ours fans. I never think its a good idea to boo our team off or call Gabby a 'F****** W*****' after he loses the ball, yet some do. On Sat v Everton I was waiting for Nzogbia to be taken off and have it met with a large cheer and applause, this happened a lot last season and I cant for the life of me think how this helps anyone. Not the manager or the player, it just makes you look like an idiot. I think I could relate the attitude of our fans and a lot of fans in general with how this country is going over the last decade, both are going downhill.

When I went to Prague with Villa a few years back, Id never felt more of a Villa fan, the fans over there were all together, having a good time and supporting the team. What was even better was the Prague fans, almost all off them just shaking hands with any Villa fan they saw before the game, swapping shirts. At the end of that game they lost 1-0 and all of their main stand stayed a good 10-15 minutes after the game as the squad sat infront of the stand and listened to the fans chant. Id love it if our league/game was more like that, if we lost 1-0 to WBA and the squad sat infront of the Holte End Id expect them to get stuff thrown at them.

I still love the Villa and was very much looking forward to the Everton match, however the game does seem to be going the wrong way IMO so can fully understand if people lose interest despite being a die hard fan years ago.

Most will not see O'Neill as the main protagonist because he ain't here.

Or maybe its because our issues are all to do with finances and the manager is not the one responsible for keeping them in order, improving income and actually planning for the future.

Also the amount of money wasted since the man walked/pushed has shown that the people who should have been in control of the situation are still causing the problems.

The whole issue was wages in relation to our income. Unless we figured out a way to increase the income by a large amount it was always going to be an issue regardless of the quality of the players.

John, If the quality had of been there the gates would have risen, we would have lasted in more competitions and the merchandising would have sold more....in short the Turnover would have risen, not to mention the increased value of players.

The whole fundamental issue right now with our club....IS POOR QUALITY OF PLAYER.

and unfortunately too many of them.

Better quality players would have increased income. Ticket sales, shirts, european qualification.

Im gutted how wrong I was about MON. Genuinely thought he was a top manager.

Theres no denying it. While he is not solely at fault, hindsight tells us that he made a total and utter arse of it.

The thought of him spending 12m on Aiden McGeady is just frightening. Absolutely frightening.

Come on.

We really think that we could have increased our turnover to allow for the wages we were paying? And not only maintain that level but continue to build?

Well champs lge qualification gets you what? 20m alone?

Would have helped!!

Come on.

We really think that we could have increased our turnover to allow for the wages we were paying? And not only maintain that level but continue to build?

Would have helped!!

It would have been a short fix.

That money wasn't going to hold off city and spurs for ever.

Eventually we would have reached the same point.

Do you really think had MON signed a few more quality players that we'd still be in the top 6, with top players on big wages right now?

Not having any of this... IMO anyone who turns their back on a club completely is better off as we dont need people like this ever down VP.

Quick question Kev. - Do you think footballers/Clubs and football as a sport in general havent turned their backs on supporters?

Come on.

Would have helped!!

It would have been a short fix.

That money wasn't going to hold off city and spurs for ever.

Eventually we would have reached the same point.

Do you really think had MON signed a few more quality players that we'd still be in the top 6, with top players on big wages right now?

I think we would be in a better position post MON. Not sure how much better though.

The problem was the amount of players we signed in the first three years who have since been let go for nothing or virtually nothing. Think Sidwell, Heskey, Reo-Coker (signed for 8m and let go for nothing in his 20s!), Shorey, Davies, Cuellar, Beye and possibly Delph soon. That must be at least £35m on transfer fees alone (heaven forbid how much we spent on their wages) down the toilet and that was down to bad choices by the manager.

Ah well, we got to page 5 before people started spouting the usual silly nonsense about MON. There is a thread about MON in other football where people can and do regularly post childish rubbish about him. Don't know why people can't confine themselves to that and not ruin every other thread in Villatalk.

The issues raised in this thread are to do with the attitude of fellow fans, not a manager we had 3 years ago.

Not having any of this... IMO anyone who turns their back on a club completely is better off as we dont need people like this ever down VP.

Quick question Kev. - Do you think footballers/Clubs and football as a sport in general havent turned their backs on supporters?

Of course i do. Thats no-brainer stuff... e.g : stephen ireland ( who has had one decent game in like 4 years ) /Portsmouth chairman (taking over with no money and putting them right in it). People have got to realise that theres much worse out there, Have a moan and complain as much as you want. If it becomes that bad retire from VT completely... But dont explain that youre giving up as a villa fan just because we're going through a horrid few years. Once again i will say IMO ridiculous.

exactly, this is what spurs do buy good players, rarely pay over the top for them, but always make sure they have a sell on value.

Every signing we have made over the past 5 years, bar - I hope the new boys and Given (if he was £3.5) has been overpriced - sometimes they go on and prove themselves and we get handsome rewards - Young, Milner, Downing but often it has been money down the drain.

Â