Neil Armstrong RIP

mykeyb

I've not heard that before Chindie, a quick browse around led to some maths which made we wince slightly (it is a bank holiday), but palaeontological records and the maths confirm an average increase of orbital separation averaging 30mm per year over the last 600 million years (and a matching slowdown in Earth's rotation). I can't find any references to this number being a surprise. I suspect the media was surprised, but only ancient binary systems become tidally locked. The Earth/Moon binary won't ever become stable (baring something unexpected/disastrous) before the sun expands in about 2 billion years.

Data from seismometers deployed on the moon between 1969 and 1972, which recorded continuous lunar seismic activity until late-1977 is still useful today. When modern theory is applied to that data it suggest our moon has a core similar to Earth's.

Im sceptical on the moon landing but the reason for the hoax is a bit weak really isn't it?
Which moon landing are you sceptical of? One of the six manned moon landings occuring between 1969 and 1972 or one of more than a dozen unmanned landings achieved by the US, Russia, European Space Agency, Japan, India and China between 1959 and now?

It surprises me that on the rare occasions I have met someone who doesn't believe man has been to the moon, they don't even know it happened more than once! Their usual response is 'Oh, perhaps it wasn't faked then.':bonk:

Why is it that many believers of conspiracies know more about the conspiracy than the actual event itself?

With the death of Armstrong, it got me thinking that I really should read up on the Apollo programme in general and the Moon Landings specifically.

I could do with a couple of good books to take with me on holiday next week. Any suggestions?

Just the one that it wasn't Lee Harvey Oswald, which opens up for any other theory about who killed JFK. But I can't say which one I think is the most likely. I just don't believe that Oswald shot him.

I think Johnson was behind it all. He despised JFK, and brought him down to Texas to ambush him. I don't think the mob was involved, I don't think Castro was involved, or the Soviets...I think it was just a Coup d'etat, a power grab. And I'm convinced the truth will come out before I kick the bucket.

With the death of Armstrong, it got me thinking that I really should read up on the Apollo programme in general and the Moon Landings specifically.

I could do with a couple of good books to take with me on holiday next week. Any suggestions?

As I said earlier, the Buzz Aldrin autobiography is a book you can't put down.

Yes!

A Man on the Moon

Moondust

Both excellent reads.

And a DVD:

In the Shadow of the Moon

Sadly, most Americans under the age of 35 probably don't even know who he is.
If that is true, then I am abso-****-lutely STAGGERED. And saddened. And appalled.

The other astounding news to me from this thread is that there are people who didn't realise there was more than one moon landing. What. The. ****???

Don't people learn this in school? It's up there with Columbus FFS.

Yes!

A Man on the Moon

Moondust

Both excellent reads.

And a DVD:

Thanks Mike - on their way to me courtesy of Amazon.

Yes!

A Man on the Moon

Moondust

Both excellent reads.

And a DVD:

Thanks Mike - on their way to me courtesy of Amazon.

Can I reccomend Nasas Greatest missions as well on DVD? It has some fantastic footage and stories from the first Mercury missions all the way through the Apollo moonmissions, spaceshuttle and spacestations. It's a bit chest pounding american at times but not to much

Of a Fire on the moon by Norman Mailer. A titanic account that gives incredible insight into the effect of the moon landings on the astronauts, those involved in NASA and society in general. The technical details are brilliant. The second best book I've read about a factual event (after In Cold Blood by Truman Capote).

Sadly, most Americans under the age of 35 probably don't even know who he is .

I can't speak for all of America but I was in Denver when he died and the youngsters in the pub were talking about , just as they were in Philadelphia when I landed there the following day.... The story wasn't as big as I thought it would be ( mainly due to Iassac heading towards New Orleans ) but it was still given a lot of coverage

Thing I didn't know ( to my Shame ) was that he was 40 when he went to the moon

Sadly, most Americans under the age of 35 probably don't even know who he is.
If that is true, then I am abso-****-lutely STAGGERED. And saddened. And appalled.

The other astounding news to me from this thread is that there are people who didn't realise there was more than one moon landing. What. The. ****???

Don't people learn this in school? It's up there with Columbus FFS.

The public school system in the US is a total disgrace. For a top industrial, developed nation, the schooling in general is shit. The parenting is shit. Intellectualism is scoffed at, and university is increasingly out of the reach of the middle class.

We've got a generation of people raised on Cheez Wiz, Diet Coke and cable TV, not books and maps.

Another thing to note is that more and more of the population are from a cultural background for whom Neil Armstrong means very little, if anything, and that can be applied to many benchmarks of American history. People just do not have the knowledge.

Another thing to note is that more and more of the population are from a cultural background for whom Neil Armstrong means very little, if anything

Why would he?

How many of them were even born when we last went to the moon?

It's been nearly 40 years, and in that time we haven't even left low earth orbit.

The moon landings inspired a generation, and that generation then saw their dreams crushed by deep budget cuts and abandoning space programs. Kids grew up wanting to be astronauts because they saw men walk on the moon, the question for everyone was where next? Well, 40 years later we know the answer, nowhere. It's no surprise that since then we've fell out of love with the space programs, simply because peoples dreams were destroyed.

Everyone knew that the chances of them following in Armstrong's footsteps was ridiculously small, but hey, there was a chance. Except there wasn't, the kids that watched men on the moon have grew up to see not a single person return. And what's the point of playing a lottery where no one ever wins?

It's an absolute travesty that we haven't been to mars yet.

I've just deleted to tech podcasts from my feeds because they has a presenter who said he thought the moon landings were a hoax. I'm not taking tech news from someone so deluded.