Neil Armstrong RIP

mykeyb

The moon landing conspiracy debunk thread, all sparked by the moron/troll Smalljob (thankfully no longer of this parish), was a good'un in fairness. It was comprehensive.

The only comparable bit of comprehensive owning was one of the religious threads that feature such pearlers as the hidden message in the Chinese alphabet that proves the biblical flood happened.

But anywho... yes, we landed on the moon, Neil Armstrong took those first steps, and for being the figurehead of a such a pioneering moment in human endeavour, his name shall live in the annals of history for eternity.

Still think it's all based on opinion. Some people believe it happened, and some don't. And people can make facts up.

You can't make up facts, to do so is a logical fallacy.

We went to the moon. There is no doubt or position for opinion on the matter. It is a provable and demonstrable fact that man landed on the moon. To believe otherwise would require cognitive dissonance of almost religious proportions.

• Like 1

The moon landing conspiracy debunk thread, all sparked by the moron/troll Smalljob (thankfully no longer of this parish), was a good'un in fairness. It was comprehensive.

It was a superb thread. My favourite ever on this forum probably.

The moon landings happened, that thread proved it. Anyone who believes they didn't have been brainwashed by only seeing one side of the argument. When presented with both, it's obvious they happened.

When the main conspiracy theorists start deliberately altering evidence to suit them, you know they're struggling for ACTUAL evidence.

The Buzz Aldrin autobiography is a fascinating read for anyone interested.

Very selfish, self centred man, an alcoholic but obviously he had a few tales to tell.

Can you give a quick synopsis? Sounds interesting.

He obviously talks a lot about the space programme, the first landing, the emotional and psychological trauma that came with it.

Going to the moon, in many ways ruined the life's of these pilots (that's what they were, rebranded as astranauts).

Aldrin once he got back to earth struggled with booze, depression, marriage breakdowns etc. it really is a good read.

As for Armstrong, the bits I've gleaned is he was a man of tremendous humility and grace. He did not choose to be first man on the moon and always downplayed his personal achievement and referred back to the team that got him there.

Still think it's all based on opinion. Some people believe it happened, and some don't. And people can make facts up.

You really need to do some accredited reading on this matter. Elvis invented the internet to help people like your good self.:winkold:

Seriously, if it was faked, why fake six manned landings over the course of three and a half years? Surely that would dramatically increase the likelyhood of a leak? There have also been dozens of unmanned landings and plenty of failed attempts.

Knowing it was a race between the US and USSR, the easiest way for the Soviets to 'win' would have been to fake their landing before July 1969, OR prove that the US had faked their landings. That haven't done so because even as arch enemies, they KNOW the US pulled it off, several times.

There is plenty of evidence to disprove every conspiracy theory that man has not landed on the moon. The odd conspiracy theory may be true about other minor* world events, but not this one.

*Minor enough that I don't care about.

He was a genuine figure in world history and appears to have been a thoroughly nice guy to go with it.

It could be a long long time before we do something quite as impressive. But as he said himself, as muc was owed to the guy that designed the water pump that got them there as to the guy that stepped out first. True class.

Why haven't we gone back? is it the Cost?

Read the thread - The Americans went back 5 times after the initial landing in 69. Since then nobody bothered because it wasn't really worth it. The Chinese and Indians want to land on the moon, mostly to show they can, and the Americans had a plan to go back and create a lunar base but with cuts and the cost of manned lunar expeditions the decision was made that it wasn't really worth it and the focus switched to Mars and unmanned exploration.

It was a superb thread. My favourite ever on this forum probably.

The moon landings happened, that thread proved it. Anyone who believes they didn't have been brainwashed by only seeing one side of the argument. When presented with both, it's obvious they happened.

When the main conspiracy theorists start deliberately altering evidence to suit them, you know they're struggling for ACTUAL evidence.

Indeed.

I was going to reply to this thread with a long post detailing all the 3rd party evidence that showed NASA did land on the moon (from the likes of India and Japan who have since sent probes to the areas landed on), but what's the point?

Any idiot that believes we didn't go to the moon will just ignore the evidence anyway. It's the same sort of people that think evolution is "just a theory".

I seldom believe in conspiracy theories, but this one was one that I thought might had something in it. I haven't read much about it before and just thought that it would've been a hell of an achievement to get someone up there and it happened in a "perfect time" for the US. And up untill just recently I thought that Armstrong and Aldrin were the only ones claimed to have walked on the moon. 10 other men has done it, apparently. :oops: Anyway, this thread, and in particular this post, has made me realise that I've been a fool:

They left behind a **** reflector that we use to measure the moons distance away from the earth as it changes over time.

Of course he walked on the moon.

You need to watch better documentaries. Ones that have facts in them.

Didn't know that we actually put that kind of an instrument up there.

Now there's only the JFK conspiracy that I still think might be true, but that's for another thread, perhaps.

R.I.P., mr. Armstrong. One true legend. Rest forever among the stars where you belong. Good to hear that he seems to have been a very humble guy too.

Just imagine the scale of covering up a fake moon landing.

There would be literally millions of people involved in building a rocket to the moon. From the designs, to the manual labour, to all the supplier companies to the testing etc etc

People don't think any of them would have been a whistle blower in the 50 years since? All those people were convinced to pretend the whole time that it was real?

That should be the thing that makes people realise any conspiracy theory is ludicrous. The sheer scale of pulling off that kind of a "hoax" is mindblowing.