Neil Armstrong RIP

mykeyb

One of my earliest school memories is being told as a class to go to the hall because we were going to watch history in the making. We were told that we would remember this day forever, as a four year old child I didn't really understand but there we were in the school hall watching a black & white telly, as far as I could see we were watching bouncy men in funny suits… I had no idea what was going on. It was only when I got home my mum explained it to me, even then I don't think I realised completely, why would I, I was too young really.

But my teachers were right I do still remember that day like it was yesterday

RIP a real pioneer

he didnt really walk on the moon though, did he....

really wanted to say this, but dont want to derail the thread

would love to be a yank to get their perspective, struggling to think of an english equivalent but he's a huge figure and i can only imagine how massive his death is over there

would love to be a yank to get their perspective, struggling to think of an english equivalent but he's a huge figure and i can only imagine how massive his death is over there

ill probably be labelled a troll or summert, but from the documentaries i have watched i dont believed that man has walked on the moon. a lot of evidence to suggest he didnt, little to suggest he did

They left behind a **** reflector that we use to measure the moons distance away from the earth as it changes over time.

Of course he walked on the moon.

You need to watch better documentaries. Ones that have facts in them.

• Like 1

I get the impression he's a bit of an enigma to most Americans, not greedy, not brash, not a self publicist, just a quiet reluctant hero, who did walk on the moon.

It's expensive.

And by the time we sent the last chaps there, we'd discovered that the moon is fairly dull and held few things particularly interesting to us. So the cost wasn't justified any longer.

We might send people back there eventually however. The moon is believed to be a major source of helium-3, which could be a future energy source. If it does become something we come to rely on, and the ability to create the infrastructure is there, you can expect men on the moon setting up a mining system, in the future.

Mars still holds many mysteries, and we've barely scratched it's surface. The search for knowledge is more fruitful on the red planet than it is on the moon.

NASA was planning another manned moon mission IIRC, but given the cost and the fact it had it's budget absolutely culled meant they had to prioritise. Mars made more sense to spend the money on.

ill probably be labelled a troll or summert, but from the documentaries i have watched i dont believed that man has walked on the moon. a lot of evidence to suggest he didnt, little to suggest he did

Stop going on conspiracy websites, they are full of shit and ignore facts. In 1969 Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. It was an incredible achievement given how limited technology was back them.

Didn't Neil Armstrong punch a reporter in an interview 5-10 years ago when asked if he really did go to the moon? Or was that Buzz Aldrin? One of them did anyway but now that I think about it I'm sure it was Buzz Aldrin. Speaking of Aldrin, I saw the statement that he made when he heard that Neil Armstrong had died. Good stuff.

The conspiracy theories about the moon landing never fail to amuse me. I almost feel sorry for the people who believe that it was fake footage.

RIP, Neil. A man that shall forever be remembered.

I get the impression he's a bit of an enigma to most Americans, not greedy, not brash, not a self publicist, just a quiet reluctant hero, who did walk on the moon.

Sadly, most Americans under the age of 35 probably don't even know who he is.

But he was the genuine article, and he's well respected for that, and his modesty.

It's front page news nationwide of course.