Neil Armstrong RIP

mykeyb

This should probably go in the TV thread, but did anybody see "Horizon" last night - about mapping the universe?

Absolutely fantastic, inspirational and mind-boggling.

It is interesting how many people including experts who think the moon landings were staged.

You can see why the sceptics won't go away tbh.

Which experts?

They won't go away for the same reason religions won't go away. Because idiots make crap up and fools accept it without any rational thought?

Yes, they left behind what amounted to big bicycle reflectors on the Moon's surface and noted the co-ordinates. We aim an incredibly powerful laser at one and measure the length of time it takes for it to bounce back to work out how far away the moon is (amongst other things) - turns out its slowly getting further away from us.

This is so well known it's even appeared in sitcoms.

It wasn't a surprise that the moon is moving away from us, we already knew that. It's what happens when you have tides.

There´s also

in one sitcom... ;) Tbh I don't take much that says in a sitcom as facts, even though I like TBBT and I guess that it contains lots of facts when it comes to science.

It is interesting how many people including experts who think the moon landings were staged.

You can see why the sceptics won't go away tbh.

You seem to be fluctuating from conspiracy believer, to certain it did happen, to conspiracy believer again as this thread goes on

I've just deleted to tech podcasts from my feeds because they has a presenter who said he thought the moon landings were a hoax.

Nope, merely following the thread direction and this comment in particular.

Yet your first post in the thread was

he didnt really walk on the moon though, did he....

No, getting a living object through the Van Allen belt is impossible

then you changed to

I'm sure he did[walk on the moon]

And

Cant you also still see the footsteps through a high powered telescope ?

Footprints on the moon are there forever

seems a bit odd, that's all.

The van Allen belt bit is the only part I'd question.

The spacecraft moved through the belts in about four hours, and the astronauts were shielded from the ionizing radiation by the aluminium hulls of the spacecraft. Furthermore, the orbital transfer trajectory from Earth to the Moon through the belts was chosen to lessen radiation exposure. Even Dr. James Van Allen, the discoverer of the Van Allen radiation belts, rebutted the claims that radiation levels were too harmful for the Apollo missions. Plait cited an average dose of less than 1 rem (10 mSv), which is equivalent to the ambient radiation received by living at sea level for three years. The spacecraft passed through the intense inner belt and the low-energy outer belt. The total radiation received on the trip was about the same as allowed for workers in the nuclear energy field for a year.

The radiation is actually evidence that the astronauts went to the Moon. Irene Schneider reports that 33 of the 36 Apollo astronauts involved in the nine Apollo missions to leave Earth orbit have developed early stage cataracts that have been shown to be caused by radiation exposure to cosmic rays. At least 39 former astronauts have developed cataracts; 36 of those were involved in high-radiation missions such as the Apollo missions.

A jolly good debunking

• Like 1