• N'Zogbia
    • Bannan
    • Herd
    • Bent
    • Delfouneso
    • Holman (for Delfouneso 46)
    • Lichaj (for Herd 56)
    • Weimann (for Bannan 67)

Not long got back and find it difficult to find any positives from a team who can't even have a shot on target or a corner til the last ten minutes.

I know it's early but already it looks like Gobby Cabbage is right and we are going to struggle.

Really, really, really, really, really shit performance

We are going to struggle this year from what I have seen of the first two performances of the year. The pundits seemed mixed on how Villa will do.

- The back four of Lowton, Baker, Clarke & Vlaar looks very inexperienced and we will concede a lot of goals this year. Given is not getting any younger.

- No leaders, we really are missing Petrov as an on the pitch player, captain and leader in so many ways (Get well soon Stan - we are all with you)

- The majority of the youth could not compete in a championship side.

- 0 Flare, normally we have had a few creative flare players in the past. Not this year though.

We do have a good manager who is up against it this year.

The positives

KEA - Lowton - Vlaar - all looked reasonable.

The negatives

No academy can produce 60% of a premiership team. This has been proved the last 2 season - whenever we have had to resort to academy kids - weve barley won a game

Nzog - forget the fact we paid £10m the guy is useless

Lambert has publicly endorsed Clark as a first choice CB - on what evidence I don't know - he looked woeful today. Baker looked better than him a CB

Pronosis

No players in- were doomed - I don't see a weaker prem first 11 than we put out today

Up to 2 players in - Were still in a relegation fight for me

4+ players - and we have a chance.

Basically look at starting 11 today - look at every position occupied by one of our own products and look to replace them - it can't be that hard to find a better midfielder than Bannan for example ?

My observations from the game

CNZ never seems to actually have control of the ball, he just seems to run with the ball moving in the same direction...Ireland should have played instead of him...

Bannan is ineffective, he plays over complicated passes, he can't shoot very well and he can't hold the ball up...

Holman DID make a different when he came on today, he looked hungry and provided some good forward play. Totally different to what people have led me to believe...

Clark isn't the right partner for Vlaar...yet...I do think Dunne would fit in well next to Vlaar however...Vlaar on the other hand does look decent...

Bent is useless, not in talent, but in our team. He gets little to no service. It's like buying a sports car but not having the money to buy the fuel to use it...

Buying Andy Carroll will be a huge waste of money unless we invest in some wingers who can cross the ball...

Lichaj is a better left back than Baker, I don't think we need to buy a left back, maybe only one as cover/competition...

I actually thought Herd wasn't that bad today, he puts in effort, plays with heart and made some good passes and tackles...

KEA looked good today...

Wiemann is better than Delfouneso, I have no idea why ND played today or why he has played ahead of Wiemann so many times since 2008...

I wish we would shoot from further out more often...

In the transfer window we need:

A striker

2 wingers

A Centre Mid

as a minimum, just to compete...

Newcastle and Swansea are going to rip us to pieces in our current state...as will most teams in the league...

**** dreadful. Feel absolutely terrible because I thought the nightmare had ended with McLeish. I still have faith in Lambert and think that half of the problem is lack of stability and the fact that he's trying to get the players playing a new style but everyone at the club (players and management) need to sort it out. We can't carry on like this.

El-Ahmadi MoTM obviously. Only player that was actually doing anything today.

Regardless of the manager, there was a squadfull of incompetent players out there today. Not Lambert's fault, and i wouldn't have much faith in anyone to get a performance out of a team like that.

Regardless of the manager, there was a squadfull of incompetent players out there today. Not Lambert's fault, and i wouldn't have much faith in anyone to get a performance out of a team like that.

Yep, Lerner better get his wallet out asap as this squad is nowhere near good enough

Anyone still think our poor form last season was mainly to do with Mcleish?

Clearly unless Randy invests heavily in the team now, this will be the year we will be relegated.

I think McLeish took too much blame for things that are horrribly wrong at B6.... somethings are badly wrong down there.

I never wanted Mcleish and am not unhappy he has gone.... just never thought all the ills were down to him.

I am unsure right now if Alex Ferguson could sort it out in any reasonable time.... we are unfortunately in a mess.

Glad I gave away my STs for this one as I am off on holiday. Two observations:

Money needs to be spent as some of our 'wonder kids' are simply not good enough.

I think Lambert has a far bigger job on his hands than either he or us thought. The whole squad needs re engineering.

It will be a long season.

Harry, I've been saying this for some time, the kids are not up to premier league and they should be pushing to get in.. not been offered chances.It ain't a benevolent society, you have to deserve to be in.

We have also had a poor record with transfers on the whole, so all in all we just ain't got the personnel.

Too many poor decisions going on consistently for too long.

Short **** memories !! people calling for the return of Hutton & Warnock

We have not replaced Petrov or Heskey, needs to happen

& given should be dropped

And what would you replace Heskey with, a trolley from Tescos?

There is no need to replace rubbish, just replace the good ones that have left.

Trying not to get too downbeat as it's very early in the season. Performances like today though and we actually seem to have gone backwards from last season, somehow.

Didn't agree with the team selection, for me it should have been:

Delph > Bannan

Weimann > Delfouneso

Ireland > N'Zogbia

It's clear we need a lot of new players to come in, but don't have much time in this window left. Therefore I think we should prioritise a LB (allowing Baker to play CB over Clark) with then Dunne to come back to compete. Also a striker has to be brought in, someone to play off Bent and link the midfield, like Robbie Keane did last season. The third player I'd prioritise over the next few days is a new winger as N'Zogbia simply cannot continue starting, and we have no one else for now.

It was pretty woeful today and Everton could easily have had 6 or 7. But I'll be charitable and say that Everton made us look worse than we actually are.

Moyes obviously had sussed beforehand that we would be trying to play it around, it's been advertised everywhere and he will have watched us against WHam. He also saw an inexperienced CB pairing with inexperience in front of them. So he made sure he they pressed hard onto every player who received the ball, pushed up and restricted any passing options so we were left frustrated with passes back, or attempts at Hollywood passes. This also made Bannan pretty ineffective as it cut out his game.

When the teams were read out it was obvious that it would be a very one-sided game. I was looking for any weakness in their team and there wasn't any. They have experience and quality all over the pitch and they're very settled. Fellaini and Pienaar terrorised Vlaar and Clark, which allowed Jelavic to run behind and attack Baker, who had to come inside all the time, leaving space for Osman and Neville, with Baines more than a match for Lowton on the other side.

They got their tactics spot on, and while Lambert didn't get anything particularly wrong, nowhere on the pitch did we have any better players than them.

Few noteworthy players

Lowton - not good enough for the Premier League. Constantly in the middle leaving and massive Baines shaped hole on the right.

Vlaar - did well against Fellaini in the air, few good interceptions. Feel he'd be the Collins++ in an effective partnership with Dunne.

Clark/Baker - both will do great in the Championship.

Herd - very committed player, low on actual quality.

Bannan - still rate him. But they nullified him today.

KEA - really relaxed after his goal. Will be a great player for us.

Insomnia - I think the problem is just that he's absolutely stupid.

Bent - ball deflector. Needs lots of crosses to turn them in. Playing through the middle he's pointless.

I really hope they have options available ready for RL to just sign the cheques for.

Whilst we don't want another player with Heskey's ability. The point he makes is right, we lost an experienced striker and haven't yet added an experienced striker to the squad.

Heskey was as good as anyone in the PL last year at holding the ball up

Crap striker but you cannot deny the above

Now we have nobody capable of holding the ball while the midfield push up

Been a ST holder for the past 5 seasons with my son but we've decided to pick and choose our games this season and got to say after today's game I'm glad of it.

Today was always going to be difficult, Everton are flying and have a fully fit squad, which has been their problem over the past couple of seasons, and after seeing our starting 11 it was no surprise to see them take the game to us early on. Their back four screamed experience, Distan, Jagielka, Neville and Baines, our back four are still in nappies in comparison, as is our midfield. Upfront wasn't much better either, Jelavic is as hot as is gets, compared to the jaded Darren Bent who must be thinking it's time to ship on out of the Midlands.

Given - 4 At fault for at least 2 of the goals, I was sat in the North Stand and thought he would get to Pienarr's shot all day, Fellaini's header should have been dealt with comfortably. A good save from close range in the second half from Pienarr.

Lowton - 6 Difficult home debut, looked shaky from the kick of when harrassed by Pienarr but grew in confidence.

Clark - 4 Do we ever win when this guy plays? Looked slow and lightweight, this horse isn't ready yet ...

Vlarr - 7 Liked the look of Ron, a few worrying Collinsesque crossfield balls that ran straight out of play, but that may have been because the target was a centre half playing at left back ...

Baker - 6 - Did well considering and put in some goal saving tackles early in the first half, looked much better at centre half after Clark was red carded.

Zog - 4 - Loses possession too often, one good run in the first half with no end product ... same old yawn.

El Ahmadi - 8 - I felt sorry for this guy, worked hard, got little protection from the ref and was constantly let down by teammates, scored a decent goal and looks up for the fight! Hooray a positive! ***

Herd - 6 - Always tries hard but was way played out of position which made the game difficult for him against top opposition.

Bannan - 5 - Not strong enough to play in a 4 in the middle, I'd like to see him play behind the striker.

Fonz - 4 - I'm not sure what the point was in playing him, he never offers anything.

Bent - 4 - Mainly static, doesn't get involved in any build up play, the one lay off I remember him playing almost put us in trouble.

Holman - 6 - At least he put himself about and inspired a few around him in a decent spell when the game was in fairness, dead.

Wiemann - 6 - I like Andy, fail to see how he was on the bench with Delfounso starting, he's lively and has a great shot.

Lichaj - 6 - Did well and is a much better option at LB than Baker.

Newcastle away doesn't look too inviting on this form, we need at least one experienced PL midfield campaigner in there and quick ... over to you Randy.

Whilst we don't want another player with Heskey's ability. The point he makes is right, we lost an experienced striker and haven't yet added an experienced striker to the squad.

Perhaps finding a striker with Heskey's ability to fail to score is a hard task!

Â