Weekends football 24/26 Aug

andykeenan

Who is this Wayne Routledge that plays for Swansea

It's depressing isn't it. All these players we let go because they weren't good enough; Routledge, Gardner, Whittingham, Steven Davis, Cahill, Maloney. They'd all now walk into our first-team. Probably not Sidwell though.

Swansea generally just look even better this season than they did last. The football's still pretty, but it's a little more direct and a little more dynamic, they genuinely look like they have goals in them during every attack.

yeah i thought after last week they still have the ability to pass and move but laudrup seems to have cut out he tippy tappy going nowhere aspect

goals on sunday just highlighted the way michu and graham play together, changing positions / roles in midfield and attack and how james collins couldnt cope with it

will obviously be interesting to see how they look when they dont have a lot of the ball vs the better teamsbut at the moment they look comfortably top 10

Oh they still do a lot of maintaining possession (also known as aimless passing), but that is a cornerstone of playing like that. It's not my favourite thing in the world but I can see why they do it.

But when they do go forward you just feel like theres more than 1 option available to them constantly. Last year I felt like, when they attacked, the attack had 1 idea from the the start, be that a pull back or a cross, or a threaded ball. Now it's like when they go forward they want to have 2 or 3 potential outcomes every time, and it appears to be incredibly difficult to defend against. It also seems to help that when they attack they have just a little more directness to them, and they come flooding forwards. It's a subtle change, but Laudrup's improved them, obviously helped by him bringing in the likes of Michu, who is probably a shoe in for bargain of the season already.

Its a big game for Rangers. They have wanted to play against English teams in the league for years so maybe the occasion is getting to them.

Â