Europa League Qualification?

villa-revolution

I'd not at all mind being in the Europa League, but I doubt we'd take it all too seriously and even if you win it takes 45 matches to get there and you end up with 50p and a bag of conkers.

On the plus side, it would be fun to go to some remote village in Khazakstan for a qualifier. Or would it. Hmm...

Well exactly… been my opinion for sometime now. 19 matches (thats an extra half a seasons worth of games) to win a few million, you need a huge squad to win **** all, its a poisoned chalice

We need to look past the money side of things though surely, it's about prestige.

We claim to be a big club, a great club, but realistically are we any more? We won the euro cup 30 years ago, we won our last domestic trophy in the mid 90s, we qualified for europe a handful of times in the last 15 years.

If we want Lambert and his team of scouts to sign young foreign talent we need to be raising the profile of the club on the continent and that is greatly asissted by playing in European competition.

We want players we're approaching to know about our club, know about our players, know about our mentality without having to google us first (possibly a slight exageration as we're still a Premier league side) but the point remains.

We all know we're not going to be paying stupid wages any more, and we're not London based so we need something to seperate ourselves from the other clubs hat will be sniffing around the same players.

We need to look past the money side of things though surely, it's about prestige.

We claim to be a big club, a great club, but realistically are we any more? We won the euro cup 30 years ago, we won our last domestic trophy in the mid 90s, we qualified for europe a handful of times in the last 15 years.

If we want Lambert and his team of scouts to sign young foreign talent we need to be raising the profile of the club on the continent and that is greatly asissted by playing in European competition.

We want players we're approaching to know about our club, know about our players, know about our mentality without having to google us first (possibly a slight exageration as we're still a Premier league side) but the point remains.

We all know we're not going to be paying stupid wages any more, and we're not London based so we need something to seperate ourselves from the other clubs hat will be sniffing around the same players.

Very true, some Brittish Villa fans might not care about playing in Europe, but for us outside the UK and i garantee you for any player we hope to sign from overseas the Europa League is important. It's a huge shopping window, and let's be honest. For any ambitious player we are only a stepping stone on the way to a big club.

Playing against diffrent types of teams is also a vital part if you wan't to improve as a player and if you wan't to perform in the national side.

I am sure we will finish safely this season.As for cup competitions, the further a team can go in a cup competition the better cause while other teams are just praticing you are playing games that mean something,this must make the team better.

I'd be happy with a 10% improvement from last season.

Add that 10% on top of already getting rid of a lot of the dead wood and reducing the wage bill whilst giving our young players vital experience, bringing in some youngish foreign prospects and setting up a decent scouting network.

Who wouldn't have taken that this time last season?

I cant believe we did`nt sign anyone from G.Rangers while they were having a fire sale ?!

not sure anyone would have been good enough tbh....

This site went into meltdown when it was rumoured AMc was to bring back Steven Davis from Rangers and he's pretty much one of the best of a bad bunch.

I cant believe we did`nt sign anyone from G.Rangers while they were having a fire sale ?!

This site went into meltdown when it was rumoured AMc was to bring back Steven Davis from Rangers and he's pretty much one of the best of a bad bunch.

Davis, Naismith and McGregor would have probably improved our squad.

Davis, Naismith and McGregor would have probably improved our squad.

I disagree about those three to be honest.

Ok, Moyes has taken a gamble on Naismith but he's always one to take a chance on an unproven player, sometimes with great results (Cahill) but other times, not so good (Beckford)

Davis wouldn't add what we need in our midfield

And McGregor. He's no better (albeit would be cheaper) than Given or Guzan.

At this early stage of the season I am amazed to discover that there already exists a relegation thread on VT. What is the matter? Has Gobby Savage secretly signed up to sabotage VillaTalk & sneaked past the Mods in order to try & put every one on a downer?

The majority of Villa fans that I have spoken to give me the impression that a mid table finish would be more than acceptable in Lambo No. 5's first season in charge.

However, the general constant feeling that exists in the game from outside sources about our beloved Aston Villa F. C. & the expectation of the fan base is that we should target a top 6 finish as a minimum requirement every season & rightly so.

Therefore, why should this season be any different?

My own personal view is that PL needs time for his ideas to be fully implemented & similarly it will take more than a few transfer windows to fully carry out the reconstruction now necessary to hopefully bring us the success that we all crave, deserve & hopefully realize.

I think that it will initially take Lambo more than half the season to finally turn our great old Club around & I predict that we may incur some heart breaking results along the way. However, after Xmas, I fully expect the new identity of our club & it's playing style to begin to evolve & burst out from this embryonic stage.

The true hallmark of a PL team is that it just doesn't know when it is beaten & goes all out on the attack. These facets were distinctly & sadly absent against West Ham in the opening game as everyone at Villa Park

quickly need time to adjust to the Paul Lambert dispensation. Additionally, we were also absent due to injury of the undoubted attacking speed & prowess that the Gabster will provide upon his return to fitness & Marc Albrighton's ability to beat a man & get decent crosses & service into Darren Bent & which ever other striker turns up at Villa Park before deadline day.

The bottom line is that I see absolutely no reason why we can't qualify for the Europa Leage spots available this season, especially so if we are able to build up a late head of steam like this saturdays opponents Everton always seem to do & obviously if PL has worked the magic oracle.

Remember too that reaching one of the domestic Cup Finals can also sometimes be enough to qualify for Europe so why not.

Finally, given that this season's Premier League title race appears to be a 3 horse race between the Mancs & Chelski, and given that Arsenal & Liverpool are in decline & the jury is definitely out on AVB who is to say that even a 4th spot & Champions League Qualification are not beyond the realms of possibility for any club that gets it's act together?

Anyway, for now, the Europa League is my minim expectation & this is the thread.

AVFC4EVER

What planet are you on?

I put a bet on for us to beat everton 6-0 after reading this thread... Im not even joking

The next time you get the desire to spunk your money up the wall please give it to charity instead of the bookmaker. At least someone deserving will benefit!

Â