Richard Dunne

Zatman

• 2 weeks later...

I've got mixed feelings about Dunne for this season, part of me doesn't want to see him wear a Villa shirt again, but the other part of me feels that Vlaar may be able to bring the 'Old Dunne' back and we might get some use out of the final year of his contract.

I would rather see Clark or Baker get a game before him as surely it's better they gained another seasons experience at CB, than give Dunne game time for him to leave on a free next summer.

He can still have good games though. Last season he came back from injury and was immense at WBA and apart from the ridiculous penalty, was pretty good at home to Spurs. Those two draws got us over the line.

My feelings are I don't want him playing every week but I'd rather have a player of his experience to come in and play a few games if Clark loses form and needs to be rested for a few weeks.

my concern was he would keep clark or baker out of they side simply due to being older, but lambert has shown so far I think that if you play well you keep the shirt, so if Clark progress' I'm not concerned about his development being stifled by Dunne as I m confident Lambert will keep the faith. With this in mind, I'm happy to have him as a squad player for the final year of his spell here.

Good cover in case anyone gets injured but Ideally I would like to see himself, Given, Hutton & Warnock all gone in January, I would imagine that would clear about £180k a week off the wage budget. I wouldn't mind seeing us blood Bengi Siegrist in the coming months in the same way Newcastle did with Tim Krul.

Â