McLeish: No regrets

PaulTheVillan

haha as if sigurdsson would have come to play for that idiot

he is delusional and still peddling the "decent manager, decent bloke, not given a fair crack of the whip" nonsense

I know right i mean after all he ONLY got Alexander Hleb ( Arsenal and barcelona midfielder ) and Obafemi Martins ( inter milan and Newcastle striker ) on loan for SHA ...Surely that was one of the worst points ive ever heard on VT :?

He can moan all he likes about Bent's injury, the fact is he was anonymous in 90% of the games he played in as we played so defensively that there were no chances for him to poach a goal from.

Shit manager, shit football, I pity anyone that hires him in the future.

The entire article is just a load of excuses and lies.

The fans believe they should be in the top four, the top six, but the quality was not there and the squad was quite inexperienced
But nobody expected to get top 6 last season. He makes out like we expected a lot. Fact is we didn't. All we expected was mid-table and to always go out to win but he couldn't even deliver that. Such a massive word removed and I can't believe that after all the excuses people still have the audacity to call him "a decent bloke".

Also, anyone annoyed at how the articles makes out that we weren't happy with him because of where he came from? Nobody wanted him here because of his record with relegations and his reputation for negative football.

the same hleb (who was sent out on loan 3 times in 4 years at barca i think) and martins who's careers have been on a downward trajectory for years and were looking to get back into english football any way possible??

i repeat hahaha as if sigurdsson would have come to play for that idiot

The Sigurdsson link is interesting, don't think many would have predicted that, and can't see why he'd make it up on such a public forum.

So people think he is a better manager than he is :-

So Mcleish signed Hutton & Nzogbia - but would have signed Sigurdsson

Houllier signed Makoun - but would have signed Cabaye

Don't beleive a word of it.

The difference is that AML tells us that he would've sigend Sigurdsson. Cabaye himself said that he'd talked to Houllier about coming here. Doubt Cabaye would've said that if it wasn't true.

he is delusional and still peddling the "decent manager, decent bloke, not given a fair crack of the whip" nonsense

I know right i mean after all he ONLY got Alexander Hleb ( Arsenal and barcelona midfielder ) and Obafemi Martins ( inter milan and Newcastle striker ) on loan for SHA ...Surely that was one of the worst points ive ever heard on VT :?

Heh, and let us not forget how Hleb described the experience afterwards

"The day before a game he would come onto the pitch and show us what to do: 'You stand here, the goalkeeper will give you the ball here, kick it as far as you can and don't pass to anyone nearby. And we all run.'" :lol:

"The day before a game he would come onto the pitch and show us what to do: 'You stand here, the goalkeeper will give you the ball here, kick it as far as you can and don't pass to anyone nearby. And we all run.'" :lol:

I am no McLeish fan but Hleb's career since leaving Arsenal has hardly been a blaze of glory. Maybe he should look at himself a lot closer.

the same hleb (who was sent out on loan 3 times in 4 years at barca i think) and martins who's careers have been on a downward trajectory for years and were looking to get back into english football any way possible??

i repeat hahaha as if sigurdsson would have come to play for that idiot

Yes he did but was still proven at Arsenal and played a season at the best club in the world, And also Martins got a fair few appearances at inter and was regular at newcastle. < Whether your opinion thinks otherwise the facts show they both played at the highest level.

And compared to SHA a team that had no history, no quality players and a very poor fanbase even in the prem to get these players says it all ( Whether they became flops or not he still managed it ) therefore from these points i'd say an ex-reading and a hoffenheim loanee to a club like us is EXTREMELY realistic.

I am no McLeish fan but Hleb's career since leaving Arsenal has hardly been a blaze of glory. Maybe he should look at himself a lot closer.

Read the whole interview. He was self-critical, but also McLeish-critical, I just picked the funniest quote:

http://en.rian.ru/sports/20120419/172911969.html

The worst thing about this article is a lot of it is true. We do lack quality and Mcliesh's job was impossible.
Depends what you mean by his "job". If his job was to get us into the top 6, then yes it was impossible. However, none of the fans expected that and I'm pretty sure the board didn't either. Although the squad wasn't great it certainly wasn't bottom 5 quality, and using injuries as an excuse is just typical of the man's slimy nature. We were terrible even before the injuries kick in.

Read the whole interview. He was self-critical, but also McLeish-critical, I just picked the funniest quote:

http://en.rian.ru/sports/20120419/172911969.html

LOL your point has nothing to do with what me and slowandlow are on about ? Your on about Hleb slating mcleish for his playing style while us two are on about getting hleb there in the first place ?

The worst thing about this article is a lot of it is true. We do lack quality and Mcliesh's job was impossible.
Depends what you mean by his "job". If his job was to get us into the top 6, then yes it was impossible. However, none of the fans expected that and I'm pretty sure the board didn't either. Although the squad wasn't great it certainly wasn't bottom 5 quality, and using injuries as an excuse is just typical of the man's slimy nature. We were terrible even before the injuries kick in.

Just for arguments sake if Villa are again in a relegation battle this season. Will this mean Lambert is a poor manager who that the players we have are not good enough? I would say its the latter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Mcleish but I do think the fact he is such a poor manager did mean the serious lack of quality in the squad got slightly overlooked.

Just for arguments sake if Villa are again in a relegation battle this season. Will this mean Lambert is a poor manager who that the players we have are not good enough? I would say its the latter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Mcleish but I do think the fact he is such a poor manager did mean the serious lack of quality in the squad got slightly overlooked.

Depends on a number of factors. Even if we were in a relegation battle under Lambert (and I really don't think that will be the case) I doubt we would play in the manner that we did under McLeish.