Patience please

VillaGoMarching

Patience, There doesn't seem to be a lot of it in modern football, but for me is very much key in our current position.

This weekend saw a very disappointing opening result for our team, while i saw plenty of reasons to be hopeful too.

We saw a villa side dominate large spells of possession for the first time in a long while, bare in mind that for a year these players were playing the shitest, most negative, anti-football we've ever seen. With emphasis on what to do without the ball, as oppose to what we can do with it.

This Villa side will take time to develop, and grow in confidence, while we've also got players who actually want to play for our club, Lambert has sent a signal out to the rest of the squad, if you don't work hard, adapt and change for the better of the team, then you'll be bombed out with the likes of Collins/Warnock and Hutton.

We've been in the situation where throwing money at our team only gets us so far without a vision or plan, O'Neill failed miserably while giving us a few highlights, we're no better off now than when he first arrived to a messiah's welcome. Lerner must take a portion of blame for trusting O'Neill so readily to run a football club.

Look at the likes of Swansea, who developed a system away from the pressure of top level football, with a management structure which has ensured that whatever departures within the club wouldn't be detrimental to the long term future. That is our aim.

So all i ask for is a little patience, back our fledgeling football playing team this weekend, against a side whom we should use as a yard stick.

Great tread and great opening post. I agree, lets give him time to develop. Maybe PL hasnt shown all his cards before and has more tricks and plays up his sleeves...given time and resources. But remember the resources part takes time too, its time to build a teamand it will take years to compete with the top teams...

I have plenty of patience and I've set my stall out not to expect anything this season other than to see us play a bit more progressively.

What does disappoint me is the fact that having set the bar so low I still came away feeling somewhat disappointed and that's a bit worrying.

However early days and I hope that Saturdays performs just confirmed what PL must already know and that is we need more quality otherwise we may find ourselves in a very worrying position

most of my mates always accuse me of being negative in terms of the villa but I always tell them that I am not negative I'm a realist.

A few of my mates have been getting really hyped and expecting silly things this season and I have tried to explain that whilst I am not expecting much from the team this season that doesn't mean I am hoping that they fail just that I think it will take quite a while before we start pushing up the league, Lambert still has to completely rebuild the squad and a couple of 3 million pound signings is not going to do that.

I really do think that Lambert will be good for us it is just going to take a lot of time and patience

There was pretty much a concensus where we thought 10th-12th would be a good result for this season and 1-0 away defeats will be part and parcel of that. There's only so much a manager can do instantly with a painfully average squad with still some players who shouldn't really be here that are hard to shift. I really hate the negativity of some fans, I wish they would at least try to forgive and forget what has gone before and try to concentrate on the new start.

I'm pretty sure almost all Villa fans will be patient with Lambert, but that does not exempt him and his sides from criticism and comment when things don't go so well.

Against West Ham we looked a bit like Wigan last season - a lot of pretty passing and possession and absolutely no cutting edge. Indeed, I wondered if the other squad members had met up with Bent yet and knew what his role was.

I'm sure Lambert knows this and will try to put things right but I don't see how it helps to pretend there isn't a problem.

(Oh, and by the way, to say "O'Neill failed miserably" is just the sort of ridiculous comment that regular users of Villatalk have to put up with. I think you rather spoiled your post with stuff like that.)

Lambert is so far away from O'Neill. Unlike O'Neill Lambert:

- Looks further afield than the UK for players and doesn't sign players on massive wages and stupidly long contracts

- Gets players passing the ball

- Is tactically astute

- Rotates his squads

- Isn't a word removed

People only compare the two because Lambert played under O'Neill and they both managed Norwich.

Lambert is so far away from O'Neill. Unlike O'Neill Lambert:

- Looks further afield than the UK for players and doesn't sign players on massive wages and stupidly long contracts

- Gets players passing the ball

- Is tactically astute

- Rotates his squads

- Isn't a word removed

People only compare the two because Lambert played under O'Neill and they both managed Norwich.

All of these are debateable. What's similar is that they both have presence, pride, leadership and inner fire about them, unlike the previous two maganers.

Why are we discussing "he who must not be named here?"

Lambert is our manager. No point in comparing him to previous managers of the club. He's the man in the hotseat. Lets let him get on with it shall we?

EDIT - Brain fail.

I thought that was the name given to McLeish. :P

But if you mean MON, you surely know that every thread ends up discussing him in the end. He's not out of everyone's hair yet.

Jesus Christ Let it go. :lol: When somebody insults or criticizes MON they're not insulting you.

I thought that was the name given to McLeish. :P

But if you mean MON, you surely know that every thread ends up discussing him in the end. He's not out of everyone's hair yet.

Jesus Christ Let it go. :lol: When somebody insults or criticizes MON they're not insulting you.
No, but they are being extremely tedious and that is what really gets me, having to plough through all the silly anti-MON nonsense.

Â