How Come Lambert ...

Ulver

Still need the right players to play the right tactic, with Gardner on we have a midfielder who we could hit with a longer ball.

Like Fellaini was against United, though Gardner has a long way to go to start.

I can see us playing insightful balls through the middle, or using the wing for an overlapping man but direct balls to a midfielder pushing high is a tactic less suited to our current squad.

Why do people always use individual results to prove a point?
Puzzling, isn't it? I think it has something to do with a word called "evidence". Doubt if it will catch on here. :winkold:
That's not evidence though. Yes Everton beat Man U by playing direct but the whole point is that Everton are a lot better on the ball than us, which in turn helped them to close out the game.

A decent winger and I think we will be ok season.

Next up a left back - although Lichaj, Baker - we can get buy this season.

Striker would be nice - but we have options 4-5-1 , Weinman, Gabby, Fonz, Bent

Unless lambert has loads of cash (seems highly unlikley now) - I thonk if we can only add one player - it has to be a wide man

People are calling for a wide man even though it's known that Lambert likes a narrow attack? Holman and N'Zogbia weren't really used as out and out wide men on Saturday, so unless Lambert is going to make radical changes already I think it's safe to say he's going to proceed in the same way as the West Ham game. Although by the same token he's known to change his system a lot so who can really second guess what he's going to do?

That said, we definitely need one or two attackers of some description. I don't think we really have the quality there to create chances and make assists.

We also have Gabby to come back. I'm not a particularly big fan of him but he'd of come in handy last Saturday as he'd of done more to ruffle the West Ham defence than Bent.

Did we really have the capacity to be direct on Saturday? Bent up top by himself is hardly a great target for a direct game.

Plus there was really only one point where I felt, given how we were set up, that the ball could have been released quicker and that was in the first half where KEA took far too long to play Bent in, he was offside by the time he received the pass.

I think we did, If N'zogbia was kept on the wing and Holman kept further forward out wide we could have been more direct in getting the ball forward.

We were far too compact in the middle, we should have triangles of 3 players available each time to play the passing game but at times we had 5 players cluttered together with Bent far too Isolated.

The wingers would have dragged their full backs out wide and left Space for Ireland and Bent to run into.

I think we need to adopt the passing game but at the same time be more direct, keep the over passing when we're looking to hold onto a lead.

A statistical look at our performance on the weekend http://tinyurl.com/bp9lkc7

very interesting reading. especially about delph, his strong suits before he got crocked were close control and passing. he lost his way under the last couple of managers, may become a key player for us in the middle with KEA. passing accuracy in the 90% mark at this level is outstanding.

to be more direct then there has to be the movement up top to allow a quick vertical pass, in theory having ireland, zog and holman interchangeable should mean lots of movement between KEA and delph and bent. they probably just need ot work on being more aware of where the other 2 of the 3 are going. if 2 are showing for a simple pass (very necessary) then the other should be finding space higher up the park.

Puzzling, isn't it? I think it has something to do with a word called "evidence". Doubt if it will catch on here. :winkold:
That's not evidence though. Yes Everton beat Man U by playing direct but the whole point is that Everton are a lot better on the ball than us, which in turn helped them to close out the game.

...so basically your argument boils down to: Everton are better than us because Everton are better than us :)

...so basically your argument boils down to: Everton are better than us because Everton are better than us :)

No, my argument is that although Everton won by playing direct last night they are still much better on the ball than we are, so it's not like they are that much of a direct team.

I'm not sure if it's been pointed out but Norwich didn't play passing football last year? Doesn't seem right to me? Maybe not every game of the season did they pass the ball very well as theyd vary the way the played throughout the season with either 5 in midfield, a normal flat 4 or a diamond so different players, different formations are going to change the way and help/or not help the way the ball is kept.

They may have been more direct in the way they attacked than what we saw vs West Ham which also is probably down to the personal but on plenty occasions last year they had the better of the ball, even against Man United they registered 52% possession and probably more impressively they amassed 53% away at Swansea which was more than what Man City, Man United and Arsenal achieved so I imagine they'd have had to move the ball around very well in that game in order to have such a high possession stat given the opposition.

For a team like us, there isn't really a right and wrong way of playing. Everton mix it up all the time, some games they move the ball around very well and play really nice football and other games, they are horrible, nasty, aggressive and in your face. You could argue we were the same in later years under O'Neill, although maybe more counter attacking than 'aggressive'. Newcastle passed the ball well but were very direct in getting the ball into their forwards feet and playing off them, they didn't waste their time moving the ball regularly around the back. I do think Lambert's approach will be highly beneficial to us and also successful in the future. Pressing high was always my biggest gripe last year, we didn't do it anywhere near enough and allowed ourselves to be dominated and penned back in games. Thankfully that does seem to be changing and keeping the ball will be important, right now we are lacking a cutting edge and end product to our game but the basic principle of keeping the ball, moving and making angles will stand us in a good position in the future and hopefully add more dimension to our play.

I think doing what we are doing right now is the hardest part of the game, getting players to press high up the pitch and work as a team within that as well then being able to keep hold of the ball, certainly far more difficult than organizing a side to sit back and hit on the break or even move the ball wide quickly and delivering cross after cross. Maybe at this moment in time we could play in a way that suits our players more although given our lack of success recently and players at our disposal, we're not exactly blessed with many options. I'm really confident though that we'll be successful under Lambert, the players are still developing as a team and ideas that may take longer than others given the level of intelligence required as a Unit and the amount of changes we've seen to the squad over recent times but everything we do will be for a purpose and 9 months down the line, I think we'll all appreciate the ideas and what we've been working on in the early parts of this season.

Keep positive. :)

Damn it POB, that gave me a hard-on.

I have that effect on the male species. :shock:

I'm not sure if it's been pointed out but Norwich didn't play passing football last year? Doesn't seem right to me? Maybe not every game of the season did they pass the ball very well as theyd vary the way the played throughout the season with either 5 in midfield, a normal flat 4 or a diamond so different players, different formations are going to change the way and help/or not help the way the ball is kept.

They may have been more direct in the way they attacked than what we saw vs West Ham which also is probably down to the personal but on plenty occasions last year they had the better of the ball, even against Man United they registered 52% possession and probably more impressively they amassed 53% away at Swansea which was more than what Man City, Man United and Arsenal achieved so I imagine they'd have had to move the ball around very well in that game in order to have such a high possession stat given the opposition.

For a team like us, there isn't really a right and wrong way of playing. Everton mix it up all the time, some games they move the ball around very well and play really nice football and other games, they are horrible, nasty, aggressive and in your face. You could argue we were the same in later years under O'Neill, although maybe more counter attacking than 'aggressive'. Newcastle passed the ball well but were very direct in getting the ball into their forwards feet and playing off them, they didn't waste their time moving the ball regularly around the back. I do think Lambert's approach will be highly beneficial to us and also successful in the future. Pressing high was always my biggest gripe last year, we didn't do it anywhere near enough and allowed ourselves to be dominated and penned back in games. Thankfully that does seem to be changing and keeping the ball will be important, right now we are lacking a cutting edge and end product to our game but the basic principle of keeping the ball, moving and making angles will stand us in a good position in the future and hopefully add more dimension to our play.

I think doing what we are doing right now is the hardest part of the game, getting players to press high up the pitch and work as a team within that as well then being able to keep hold of the ball, certainly far more difficult than organizing a side to sit back and hit on the break or even move the ball wide quickly and delivering cross after cross. Maybe at this moment in time we could play in a way that suits our players more although given our lack of success recently and players at our disposal, we're not exactly blessed with many options. I'm really confident though that we'll be successful under Lambert, the players are still developing as a team and ideas that may take longer than others given the level of intelligence required as a Unit and the amount of changes we've seen to the squad over recent times but everything we do will be for a purpose and 9 months down the line, I think we'll all appreciate the ideas and what we've been working on in the early parts of this season.

Keep positive. :)

Damn it POB, that gave me a hard-on.

I have that effect on the male species. :shock:

Worked your magic on me too :lol:

I think playing a narrow game with 5 in midfield you have to be willing to gamble 2 of those players getting forward to support your lone striker. That leaves 2 and a holding player if things go tits up. That was the big problem on Saturday. To often the 5 were too square with no one willing to gamble getting forward.

a lot of assumptions in this thread that the team played exactly as Lambert set out.

Considering we lost, I can't imagine that's the case

Watching his animation on the touch line would suggest you might have a point :winkold:

Â