How Come Lambert ...

Ulver

What big john said :lol: In all fairness I wanted Houllier out because for the players we had the results were unacceptable. Unfortunately Lambert doesn't have a team that is as good as Houlliers so I don't think he will have a problem unless we genuinely look like getting relegated like last season.

You only have to look at what Rodgers is trying to do at Liverpool.

I can certainly remember before Lambert was appointed, both Rodgers and Martinez were regarded as our 'Holy Grail' of applicants for the manager's job at our club due to their footballing philosophy, so i find it hypocritical that some VT's are criticizing Lambert for trying to instill the same style at our club!

when given the opportunity at our club and hopefully with better financial conditions, more conjusive to purchasing the better player, Lambert is now starting to structure our team in the way he has always wanted his teams to play.

If this is the case and the way in which we have tried to play in both pre-season and in our first Premiership game of the season would suggest so, then he must be given the time to change the footballing philosophy at our club. It will be a bumpy ride. You have only got to look at Liverpool's result on Saturday to see that even someone like Rodgers who has spent several years learning how to play a more expansive game through watching foreign coaching and then instilling that philosophy at Swansea, having then to start from scratch again at a club like Liverpool where past glories were achieved with the same footballing philosophy he is trying to coach, while suffering the indignity of poor results to ultimately achieve his goal.

Lambert is possibly trying to do the same here so give him a chance and the time needed. Lets all try not to be hypocrites in complaining about the very thing we alluded to in the first place!

Great Post - agree with every word. :nod: And it is ridiculous to be on his back, or the Teams, so early.

The one thing I would say is wouldn't it help Pl's cause immensely if he then spoke of some of the issues - for example why he thinks the midfield were not going past the front men, why the fullbacks weren't overlapping, why there was 'pass' but little 'pass and move'.

Maybe a bit more engagement over what is going on tactically(I don't only mean PL, I know he has only had a few weeks) may help when trying to get supporters to be 'onside' and patient.

Can I add I don't have time for people who have already said he was wrong playing 'x' or 'y' player - we really do not have the knowledge or insight of a Manager.

Houllier was hounded out because he is a word removed, destroyed any confidence the squad had, is a word removed, destroyed any fight the team had, is a word removed, refused to address glaring weaknesses, is a word removed, treated the fans with zero respect, is a word removed, was a pr embarrassment, is a word removed, played pathetic football, is a word removed and was overall just a bit of a word removed.

I have no worries about Lambert being treated like houllier by the fans, mainly thanks to his lack of being a word removed

ill almost guarantee you that lambert will end up viewed the same way as houllier. sure look through this for all the derogatory references to "tippy tappy" football for an example

dol only had it half right. we are fickle, but it also seems we're a touch clueless collectively

his decision to play baker at LB was quite frankly ridiculous.
Baker is better at LB than Warnock to be honest.

Im pretty sure Lichaj has played LB. To be honest i would have preffered Warnock over Baker. I get really pissed off when managers play people in the wrong positions. There was no width on the left at all but thats what you get for playing mediocre centre back at left back.

Agreed, would've preferred to see Lichaj there. But still, I'd rather baker than a terrible left-back (Warnock).

I dont understand the Lichaj thing. No manager seems keen on giving him a run. He has always looked pretty decent on the rare occasions he has started

I wasn't totally surprised Lichaj didn't get a game. I wasn't there but a common view was that he had a stinker against werder bren. Also it seems almost obligatory nowadays for a at least 1 shock team selection on the opening day of the season.

The possession game of chess is not something we're adept at just yet, so there has to be other strings to our bow. I hope PL takes a broader look at yesterdays match and persuades Lerner to cough up the necessary for someone like Johnson. We were missing a sense of urgency....a Young, or even a in-form Alby who can harass and get at defenders, or pull others out of position, leaving the likes of Ireland etc to do their thing to more effect.

How come Lambert has tried to bring in this tippy tappy football when he didn't play that way at Norwich and we've certainly never been known for it either ?

I think he wants us to be known for it and can see success can be obtained from playing that way.

his decision to play baker at LB was quite frankly ridiculous.
Baker is better at LB than Warnock to be honest.

Im pretty sure Lichaj has played LB. To be honest i would have preffered Warnock over Baker. I get really pissed off when managers play people in the wrong positions. There was no width on the left at all but thats what you get for playing mediocre centre back at left back.

Agreed, would've preferred to see Lichaj there. But still, I'd rather baker than a terrible left-back (Warnock).

I dont understand the Lichaj thing. No manager seems keen on giving him a run. He has always looked pretty decent on the rare occasions he has started

I wasn't totally surprised Lichaj didn't get a game. I wasn't there but a common view was that he had a stinker against werder bren. Also it seems almost obligatory nowadays for a at least 1 shock team selection on the opening day of the season.

Problem with baker was there was no width on the left. Lowton was piss poor whenever he got forward. His crosses ended up in the trevor brooking stand. Full back was where we came unstuck especially with a narrow midfield. I wonder wether CNZ can be used as a left side attacking full back as its where he played there alot for Newcastle? Either that or we need a couple of full backs before the window shuts.

I wonder wether CNZ can be used as a left side attacking full back as its where he played there alot for Newcastle?

He won't track back.

He played there at St James's and before he came to england.. Its just a thought as Baker is pony at LB

Tactically it was a shambles. Nobody seemed to know what to do and as for this tippy tappy style well thats a complete suicide mission. We have about 3 players in the squad capable of playing that brand of football.

Lambert has always played quick direct football that involves getting the ball out wide and getting it in the box. All this **** about with little passing triangles between given and the centre halves is a complete waste of time.

If he thinks this is going to get villa anywhere by doing this he is deluded. We simply dont have the players and darren bent is about 30 yards away from any support again. Even when we were losing there was nothing at all almost as if 1-0 wasnt to bad.

I bet you're one of those touching Dads who shout "**** hoof it you little word removed at any kid who takes more than 3 touches. :(

You do know why he played Baker at LB? It was all down to the physical nature of West Ham. Baker will not be LB this Saturday.

That decision cost us the game as it totally nullified as an attacking threat. If your midfield is as narrow as ours then you need full backs to overlap. We played into their hands by trying to walk through the middle.I dont think there will be many teams losing sleep over west hams attacking threat. They are shit.

I'd rather him make those mistakes, but then just say if we conceded more from set pieces, you would have then been on to say the defence was too weak.

i just think a back line consisting of reid and collins would have been tested more if pulled ouy wide. we as villa fans know collins is more than capable if things come straight at him down the middle.

I think cnz could do a job as full back against everton. their only real wide threat is on the left from baines. lets face it he doesnt do much where he is at the moment.

----------------------------given-----------------------

lowton----------vlaar------------clark-----------cnz

--------------------------herd---------------------------

------------------kea--------------delph--------------

-------------------------ireland------------------------

------------------bent-----------fonz/wiemann-----

thats what i would like to see against the toffees. would like to see delph further forward as he looked lively.

Think bent needs a partner. Is herd fit?

I think most of us realise that Saturday was disappointing and after the 2 previous seasons it's understandable that some of us are really concerned by what we saw but I'm sure Paul Lambert will get it right.

I don't blame PL for the under funding that Lerner and co have done for too long, he will try his best to change things around of that I'm sure so I doubt very much that there will be the sort of scenes that Mcshit, Houllier from the supporters unless he suddenly changes from wanting to be a winner.

I saw nothing positive on Saturday but you know what? PL will learn a lot from that game which will stand him in good stead, at the end of the day it was only 1-0 and not a thumping. The concerns are that we go on a run of defeats and the squads confidence drops but as long as we can see that things are moving in the right direction then all will be good.

I fully understand it will take time, maybe the 2-3 years as suggested but we can't get relegated while waiting for this to happen. And I'm sure PL knows what we need but it's RL that worries me.

Â