Our Transfer Market Dealings

TRO

I have a real concern about this area of our club.

Its is clear PL is trying to do something by bringing in Michael Henke, which is a positive move.

My concerns is that clubs with less attraction seem to be signing better quality than us.

I have never been an Advocate of the big money signings, because most of our really successful signings over the years have just just not been big money.

Whether they are young and up and coming ( ideally) or older but experienced.... the strength of player is missing.

We signed Platt, Yorke, McGrath, Laursen,Mellberg, and further back Gray,Swain, cropley,Rimmer.

We have signed some true quality over the years for little money, sure the Market has changed, football has changed..... but the bottom line is we are getting left behind by lesser clubs.

The 2 signings Vlaar & El Ahmadi seem reasonable so far, but we need much more than that.we need to bring players in who hit the ground running, because we have come from such a low point.

We nearly got relegated last year and it wasn't just a blip we were poor, PL is a good manager not a miracle worker.

Time is always something that is mentioned to cull the concern, but equally you cannot ignore the gut feeling that we simply ain't good enough.

I suspect PL feels that he has a duty to give the present players a chance as unlike us he hasn't seen enough of them, that is something that would be easy to sell to Randy as he naturally doesn't want to spend money ( what owner does)... Time can also let you sleep walk in to potential danger, when your original gut feel told you different.

We need to start acting quicker, more concise and with gusto and bring players in that can make a real difference.Squad players are all well and good, but we need first teamers who can EFFECT a game and impose their will.

At present I see a real concern with our transfer market work, I'm just hoping (and praying) that I see a tangible improvement.

PS Please don't see this post as a concern of not spending big money, nothing could be further from the truth.My concern is that we are missing some good value for money experience.

I understand your point, but your applying a long term plan to a very short term goal.

PL really needs time to see the character of each player before he can really deside the best way to move forward.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Henke brings to us, but let's face it, we have seen scouts before come in and deliver next to nothing.

This will be a building season, research the current squad in the first half. Therefore I expect Christmas will be busy for us.

I understand your point, but your applying a long term plan to a very short term goal.

PL really needs time to see the character of each player before he can really deside the best way to move forward.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Henke brings to us, but let's face it, we have seen scouts before come in and deliver next to nothing.

This will be a building season, research the current squad in the first half. Therefore I expect Christmas will be busy for us.

Henke needs to some serious work asap before its too late

Can you give an example of a player a lesser club have signed that we've missed out on?

There are just so many and I'm talking over a long period of time.

Albion, have signed them, so has Fulham, blimey Harry was signing the likes of Sully Muntari years ago while we were sleeping.... Danny Murphy when he left Liverpool would have done a good job for us.

There are just too many to mention, I'm surprised you want examples.

I don't know if you can talk about the dealings until the dealing is done.

You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table, there'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done.

blimey Harry was signing the likes of Sully Muntari years ago while we were sleeping.... Danny Murphy when he left Liverpool would have done a good job for us.

And look where Pompey are now! Harry crippled Pompey by paying wages the club couldn't afford, we've been stung with that in recent years as well. It's clear that whilst there is money to spend wages are a central issue.

We also need to factor in the 'stepping stone' status of transfers, despite a couple of very poor seasons I would prefer us to stay away from the Wiganesque signings that come to us for a season or 2 in the hope of securing a move to bigger club. I would prefer players that buy into the philospehy of the club and are happy to stay with us for the long term.

Finally as I've said many times, we're traditionally a club that conduct its business behind closed doors, as fans we really have little or no idea who we have and havn't approached, it could be we've spoken to everybody on that list and more but decided they weren't the right player for the club, who knows.

Can you give an example of a player a lesser club have signed that we've missed out on?

Albion, have signed them, so has Fulham, blimey Harry was signing the likes of Sully Muntari years ago while we were sleeping.... Danny Murphy when he left Liverpool would have done a good job for us.

But in that respect, we've done exactly the same over the years from players like Alan Wright and Mark Delaney, Ian Taylor, Nobby Solano through to more recent examples like Barry, Milner, Young, Carew and, as you mention, KEA and Vlaar.

For every mention of a good player somewhere like Fulham, they'll have just as many examples of shit purchases.

I'd pick this up at the end of the transfer window if honest to get a better idea of the intent for this season and beyond.

blimey Harry was signing the likes of Sully Muntari years ago while we were sleeping.... Danny Murphy when he left Liverpool would have done a good job for us.

And look where Pompey are now! Harry crippled Pompey by paying wages the club couldn't afford, we've been stung with that in recent years as well. It's clear that whilst there is money to spend wages are a central issue.

We also need to factor in the 'stepping stone' status of transfers, despite a couple of very poor seasons I would prefer us to stay away from the Wiganesque signings that come to us for a season or 2 in the hope of securing a move to bigger club. I would prefer players that buy into the philospehy of the club and are happy to stay with us for the long term.

Finally as I've said many times, we're traditionally a club that conduct its business behind closed doors, as fans we really have little or no idea who we have and havn't approached, it could be we've spoken to everybody on that list and more but decided they weren't the right player for the club, who knows.

was Harry responsible for the wages or the type of player....We did much the same under MON except the quality wasn't there, but the wages was.

But in that respect, we've done exactly the same over the years from players like Alan Wright and Mark Delaney, Ian Taylor, Nobby Solano through to more recent examples like Barry, Milner, Young, Carew and, as you mention, KEA and Vlaar.

For every mention of a good player somewhere like Fulham, they'll have just as many examples of shit purchases.

I'd pick this up at the end of the transfer window if honest to get a better idea of the intent for this season and beyond.

yes we have bought some decent ones, in very small amounts,I think if you check to ratio between good signings and bad there is only one winner.....this has been predominately over the past 10 years

KEA and Vlaar are regarded by people outside our club as excellent buys. In fact, I was reading an article earlier which ranked the PL teams based on their summer transfers and we were 6th.

reassuring, but we need a few more, before a bit of comfort sets in.

KEA and Vlaar are regarded by people outside our club as excellent buys. In fact, I was reading an article earlier which ranked the PL teams based on their summer transfers and we were 6th.

reassuring, but we need a few more, before a bit of comfort sets in.

Agreed, but we have over a week yet, and i'm sure you know how many deals are done by clubs in the last few hours of the transfer window :P I expect atleast 1, if not 2 before the end of the window. Then in January I expect more :) - If not I will be worried

A left-back and two attacking players that will be bring a cutting edge should (Hopefully) be enough.

So far I think we've done well, a lot of deals always go down to the deadline for various reasons and this may be happening in a few instances with us but so far I've been impressed with all of our new players.

Â