Type of striker needed

onje_villa

Ola Toivonen would be quality, he's big and has a physical presence but also is very good on the floor unlike carroll

I've suggested him for you guys for years, good foil for Darren Bent.

Big strong decent on the ground, can play both midfield and attack.

Able to give support to Bent, but also drop down and add to the numbers in the midfield

For me we need a clever pacey striker who can do a bit in the air too (not that i'm asking too much of course :lol: ) Someone like Huntelaar for me but of course they don't grow on trees.

What scared me the other day was when AVB was on TV saying in todays game you need 4 good strikers to compete :shock:

We have what

Bent

Weimann

Delfounso?

You can kinda see why we struggle to score goals although hopefully Weimann will come good.. But where is the ariel threat?

Comparing the current squad to the 80-81 side (purely on the basis it was our most successful ever team)

We had Gary Shaw the nippy fox in the box player feeding off Peter Withe's ariel presence, the pace of Tony Morley on the wing & the quality creativity & vision in midfield of Sid Cowans.

Well for me Darren Bent is our modern day Gary Shaw, Gabby is our Tony Morley though without the deadly shooting ability from distance but the other two we simply lack altogether

We need a Peter Withe, or a modern day equivalent.. Someone for Bent to feed off who is also a threat themselves has an ariel threat & compliments Bent.. An in form Carew would have been ideal

We also need a Midfield destroyer.. someone creative with vision who can split a defence with a pass.. A modern day Sid Cowans.

Find these & a decent LB we would be well on our way to a strong side in my opinion.

Its not easy being Ireland either in that role, he is a great passer but when he gets into positions where he would like to play those throughballs he often has only one option and it gets very easy for the oppositions defence to stop/read the play. We need to create more runs/options going forward...

this is the only knock I had on Ireland yesterday, he had chances from 20 yards out to shoot the ball, instead decided to try to put it through to bent as he was getting mugged by two defenders. if you have an opening shoot the damn ball. this will allow bent to clean up a rebound.

Milenko27 wrote:

Its not easy being Ireland either in that role, he is a great passer but when he gets into positions where he would like to play those throughballs he often has only one option and it gets very easy for the oppositions defence to stop/read the play. We need to create more runs/options going forward...

Yes and no... If you're Paul Scoles or Stevie G and the space opens up then yeah pull the trigger, but if that's not the strongest part of your game and you're more likely to hit row z then the pass has got to be the better option most of the time.

The issue being is Ireland needs the rest of the midfield getting into to positions that mean the opposition defence cant sit there and mug Darren Bent. The wider players need draw the full backs out to create the space, then the ball carrier or a CM need to make one of the CBs think about coming out to create the space for Bent.

this is the only knock I had on Ireland yesterday, he had chances from 20 yards out to shoot the ball, instead decided to try to put it through to bent as he was getting mugged by two defenders. if you have an opening shoot the damn ball. this will allow bent to clean up a rebound.

We really need a technical striker who can hold the ball and provide an aerial threat not easy to find but someone like a Dean Ashton type player.

Agree with this. I'd like to see a nasty physical presence up front, not only to hold the ball up but knock the defenders around, somebody who works really hard and is consistent. Hate to say it but I was very impressed by the shift Carlton Cole put in against us on Saturday would love to see somebody who could do that for Villa week in week out. I hope Weimann can grow into that role.

Ola Toivonen would be quality, he's big and has a physical presence but also is very good on the floor unlike carroll

Able to give support to Bent, but also drop down and add to the numbers in the midfield

Guys you're both spot on. Toivonen would be an excellent addition and the perfect foil for Bent. Can play the target man as well as dropping into the no.10 role and linking play with the midfield. There was talk earlier in the summer of his fee being around £8-9m and I imagine £40k p/w would be a significant payrise from the Eredivise. Sign him up!

Guys you're both spot on. Toivonen would be an excellent addition and the perfect foil for Bent. Can play the target man as well as dropping into the no.10 role and linking play with the midfield. There was talk earlier in the summer of his fee being around £8-9m and I imagine £40k p/w would be a significant payrise from the Eredivise. Sign him up!

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2557/news/2012/08/19/3317275/toivonen-no-move-away-from-psv

PSV forward Ola Toivonen has cooled rumours of an impending transfer away from the Dutch giants.

The Swede has previously been linked to the likes of Rubin Kazan and Liverpool, but the player himself has now stated that a departure is not on the horizon.

"It's quiet. The situation is that I have a contract for another two years with PSV and there is no interest," the attacker said following his side's 5-0 win over Roda JC.

The 26-year old has publicly expressed his desire to make the next step in his career, but insists he is not looking to force himself out of the Eindhoven side.

"I'm very happy here at PSV. I want to make a good step, when and to where I don't know. Anything can happen."

Seems to be saying "Come and get me" :D

Anyone who takes on a defender, too many teams have strong impact strikers and Maiga might be another for Wet Spam.

Lukaku on loan would have been smart and I'd say someone like Gabby but with ability is needed.

It's been slow progress for Morata at Madrid, perhaps he is worth a punt on loan, many of the most lethal strikers have moved over to Germany.

I'd like to see us take an interest in Fatos Bećiraj, he looks very talented, and if Bent leaves in the future perhaps Perbet might be an enticing alternative.

I'm not sure who Lambert might be thinking, but perhaps a winger who attacks would get the most out of our strikers, we had no worthwhile width against West Ham...or pre season...though Stevens looked like this was his game.

Not sure how available Johnson is, maybe it's time to raid cash strapped Malaga...or Villareal who still have Rossi on their books, but injured...again.

Â