Type of striker needed

onje_villa

I think what's often overlooked when people talk about getting in another striker is the type of player.

Darren Bent is a decent all-round striker but definitely more of poacher. Carrol, Holt, John Carew, hold up strikers.

Do we need just any good striker or do we need a specific type?

For my money, we're crying out for a striker that drops deep and links up play and that has that bit of flair needed to unlock defences.

Our midfield is actually pretty strong I think, at least in the middle but the gap between them and Bent is a big issue.

Is it any coincidence that when we had Robbie Keane on loan last season we looked a much better team for it?

I very much hope that if Lambert is looking for a new striker that it's a N° 10.

When you are only playing one up front, and not creating chances, I don't think another striker should be the priority.

Fair enough but a N° 10 is the type of striker who links up with the midfield and creates chances. If Bent (or any frontline) just stands up top waiting for a cross or a slide-rule pass, the team is not going to create many chances.

Isn't that what Ireland is meant to be doing though? Until he can be flogged we can't bring in a replacement......

He's not really got an eye for a goal. If you're playing in the final third then you really need to chip in with goals. The problem is that he can't really play in a central midfield pair either, but if he's on 70K a week you have to at least try and use him. Robbie Keane was more use in his loan spell than Ireland has been in his entire Villa career and we could really do with someone like him at the moment.

Isn't that what Ireland is meant to be doing though? Until he can be flogged we can't bring in a replacement......

He's not really got an eye for a goal. If you're playing in the final third then you really need to chip in with goals. The problem is that he can't really play in a central midfield pair either, but if he's on 70K a week you have to at least try and use him. Robbie Keane was more use in his loan spell than Ireland has been in his entire Villa career and we could really do with someone like him at the moment.

Nail and head spring to mind...

he cant play on the wing he cant play central midfield and it appears he cant even be effective in his own position of behind the striker....

get rid and get a keane in

That's a fair point regarding Ireland.

Is an attacking midfielder the same as a deep-lying forward though. I'm not sure.

One may run on from midfield while the other will come deep from attack.

Bent is the type of striker to get on the end of things. That has to be crosses, through balls or rebounds. Not going to see many crosses playing this narrow so it will have to be following up on long shots or someone making piercing through balls.

Its not easy being Ireland either in that role, he is a great passer but when he gets into positions where he would like to play those throughballs he often has only one option and it gets very easy for the oppositions defence to stop/read the play. We need to create more runs/options going forward...

I think it would be difficult for any striker at villa especially with the midfield 30 yards away all the time.

We need a big target man to hold the ball up and link the midfield. Carroll would be ideal

Â